Author Topic: Where is Prosper's current loan data so I can backtest???  (Read 297 times)

TWLMG

• View Profile
Where is Prosper's current loan data so I can backtest???
« on: July 08, 2017, 08:55:49 AM »
Does anyone know why Prosper hasn't released any loan data to NSRPlatform.com since 9/30/2016. They say that they release it quarterly, but we're getting close to being a year with no updates. Prosper.com doesn't have the data and I don't know of any other website besides NSRPlatform.com that has any loan data. I like Prosper, but they seem to be doing everything they can to run off individual investors.
The more knowledge we share, the better and more successful we値l all be.

Bpoole99

• View Profile
Re: Where is Prosper's current loan data so I can backtest???
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 11:01:47 AM »
I believe the data is available at https://www.prosper.com/investor/marketplace#/download.  Its probably a pain for NSR to reconcile the latest data since the data fields all changed earlier this year.

TWLMG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 03:31:52 PM »
If the data is out there, is there some reason NSRPlatform.com isn't using any data after 9/30/2016? Since Lend Academy is associated with NSRPlatform.com, http://www.lendacademy.com/lend-academy-nickel-steamroller-nsr-invest/, I'm hoping someone from their company will see this and reply. It shouldn't be so hard to be able to do some backtesting. I think it's just weird that Prosper doesn't host some backtesting tool themselves on Prosper.com. Again, it's like they want to do whatever they can to discourage individual investors.

Fred93

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 05:46:52 PM »
The current situation is a horrible shame.  The NSR backtesting tool is so good, and one can learn a great deal from it.  The fact that it isn't being updated is a great loss.

Reading between the lines, I believe there are legal issues.  I haven't been able to get NSR to come out and say it, or to say anything at all about this.  I do know that in the past Prosper put various restrictions on folks like NSR who gave out results computed from the database.  Let me be explicit about the fact that I don't have the full story here, or much of any story, because the principals haven't been talking.

Prosper management has a history of making a series of decisions about things like this with which ... lets just say I think have been really bad decisions.  You may have read various stories about the head guy leaving recently.  All the articles praised his leadership, but there is the possibility that he will be replaced by someone with a better vision and better understanding of the technology aspects of his business.

TWLMG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 06:42:56 PM »
Thanks Fred93 and Bpoole99 for the info. I sure hope Bo, Michael, Rocco or Peter from NSRPlatform.com see this and chime in. I just hope it's an oversight on the part of NSRPlatform.com. If it is at Prosper's decree, I will lose even more faith in them. They can't really expect everyone to download their data and sift through it if they happen to want to create a filter or manually buy a few Notes. People usually want to make informed purchases.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 01:52:36 AM by TWLMG »

Fred93

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 01:35:07 PM »
Very strange news.  After querying NSR multiple times over several months, I got a terse response today saying sorry for the delay, the data was updated yesterday.

Sure enough.  Now has originations thru 4/28/17.

TWLMG

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 08:09:58 PM »
Thanks Fred93 for keeping on them. It's a shame NSR isn't more responsive. I hope they keep it up so we don't have to go through all this again real soon.

SLCPaladin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 12:00:43 AM »
And Prosper's latest SEC reports show they are the ones that were profitable last quarter (not LC). Perhaps despite the turbulence they are doing something right? Everyone always knocked Prosper and favored LC on this forum (or so it seemed), but my Prosper returns have always done better than my LC returns (yes, even with the egregious return miscalculations aka "rategate"). Go figure.

SeanMCA

• View Profile
    • deBanked
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 12:28:29 PM »
Prosper had a $41 million loss last quarter and is on pace for at least $100 million in losses for the year.
I'm a merchant cash advance veteran exploring the p2p lending waters.

TWLMG

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 10:56:29 PM »
It would be interesting to know which of those two statements is right. Either Prosper is starting to right the ship or they are still hemorrhaging money.

Fred93

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 11:40:20 PM »
It would be interesting to know which of those two statements is right. Either Prosper is starting to right the ship or they are still hemorrhaging money.

The answer is both.  Prosper files a 10Q with the SEC every quarter.  You can find it on the SEC's web site.  You click on EDGAR, and type in a search for "prosper marketplace".
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1416265/000141626517000461/prosper-63017x10q.htm#s2B31AFBA96CF5AA7B525D95780FBA7BC
The answer is on page 7.  Look at the line labelled "Net Loss Before Taxes" and the leftmost column, which represents the most recent 3 months.  $41.4 Million loss.

However, Prosper's press release
https://www.prosper.com/about-us/media/2017/08/14/prosper-reports-strong-second-quarter-growth-closes-500-million-securitization-transaction/
claims a positive adjusted EBITDA of $6.7 Million profit.

The difference between these two numbers is a list of adjustments (known in the trade as "bad stuff") which prosper subtracted to produce the adjusted number.  Lucky for you, they list these items in the prss release.   Its quite a list of stuff they chose to subtract ... er I mean "adjust" out.  You can decide whether these thing matter to you.