Author Topic: A suggestion for increasing speed  (Read 4228 times)

GS

• View Profile
A suggestion for increasing speed
« on: December 28, 2013, 11:54:12 PM »
First of all, let me say that I really like your service.  It does everything I used to do manually, and more.  The AI features are very nice to further my filtering.  I really like that you added SQL queries so that we can finally filter installment/mo. Income.

Now, some of us observed several months ago that other computerized users were taking advantage of the "shopping cart lock-up" where by you can reserve your piece of the loan while you continue to shop.  It appears that users with large enough accounts were, within seconds, "locking up" large chunks the high interest loans, then filtering and releasing the ones the did not want to keep.  It was observed that the game had changed from "filter then add to order" to "add to order then filter".

With that in mind, it had been my manual strategy to monitor for new loans, then quickly filter, sort by interest rate, and add the top few loans to my order.  Often, I wasn't quick enough to get any of the loans I wanted, but if I got a few, I would then view the loans in my order and trash the loans I did not want based on my unfilterable criteria.

I think any computerized approach to getting the best notes needs to emulate this formula.  What I've seen with PLS, when taking advantage of the cool features, is that it takes 30 to 40 seconds from the time new loans are detected to the time the order is placed.  While this will definitely get enough notes to keep pace with my incoming cash, I'd say there is a pretty good chance that I'm missing out on the best of the best.

So, here is my suggestion.  You said in another thread that using LC filters is much quicker at order placement, but then (I assume) you lose out on the AI and survival modeling (which seems to be the slowest part of the PLS filtering and order processing).  Is it possible to set up a two stage filtering system, where quicker but less selective LC filters are used preliminarily to "shopping cart lock up" several notes, then once the loans are in shopping cart limbo, the second stage of AI and SQL filters are used to decided whether to keep or trash the selected notes, before the order is placed?

This would create some additional problems, like for it to work best, a user would have to reserve a higher amount of cash in their account before the program ran.  For example, a $200 minimum would allow the user to lock up 8 notes, then Select the best of the 8 notes for purchase based on the AI and SQL filters.  The program would not run again until $200+ was detected in the account.  There would be some cash drag, so perhaps the user could select the minimum run-time cash they are comfortable with.

Anyway, I know that two filters and a cash reserve might over complicate things for a product that you want to be as user friendly as possible.  So, just take it as a friendly suggestion, or perhaps a stating point for a discussion or something that might spark a better idea on your part.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 07:44:29 AM by GS »

sociallender

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: A suggestion for increasing speed
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 03:29:09 PM »
Thank you for the positive feedback and suggestion.  Here are my thoughts:

Yes, if using AI, it does take 30-40 seconds with a standard setup.  However, there are a couple of things that you can do to speed things up.  First, dedicate 2 CPUs and 1GB of ram to the PLS VB instance.  This will enable preloading of RF and SA models and parallel processing.  Also, a faster processor/io board (i7 3770 or better, I have seen some of these PCs go for sub $400) will also significantly improve performance.  With this setup, the total time from list detection to order is around 10 seconds.  This doesn't lock the notes immediately but 10 seconds is a big improvement.  The amount of 100% funded notes is significantly less frequent even for high demand loans. 

Great suggestion.  I am not sure how to handle order manipulation after the notes have been locked in.  I would imagine only a screen scrape solution would work as API does not have this order manipulation functionality.  As you know, PLS can run a saved LC website filter as well immediately after list.  However, it currently continues until order submission.  I could enable flag to only add to the order but not submit.  This would accomplish the first step.  However, applying AI and doing the order management will take some thought.  If you like the idea of running a filter and manually doing the order manipulation after AI then I could add this feature in an upcoming release.  It will take some time to figure out a way to get automatic order modification handled properly. 

Best,
SL

GS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 03:46:12 PM »
Thanks for the thoughtful response.  I'm sure that half my problem is my computer and my internet connection.  I'm supposed to have "upgraded" cable modem speed through BrightHouse, but it takes about 20-25 seconds for the list of new loans to download.  Plus, my PC is not exactly cutting edge anymore.  I can not set the PCUs to more than 1, so it's probably time to upgrage.  Today it took 1:03 to go from list detection to order placed, which seems slower than normal.  Still, I'm sure I got better notes than I used to get with my manual approach. 

sociallender

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 05:14:33 PM »
I need to upgrade my PC as well.  From list to order takes just under 30 seconds even with 2 procs and 1GB memory.  A faster processor definitely makes a difference.

SL

rockinray

• View Profile
A suggestion for increasing speed
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 05:47:52 PM »
So I just picked up a new Mac Mini. i7, 4 gig ram. I gave PLS 4 processors and 2 gig of ram. I can complete the transaction in less then 10 seconds. Most of the time it is 8 seconds.

If there is a large list to download, that slows things down of course.

But overall I am pleased with the performance.

As a comparison, my i3 WIN7 machine took about 12 to 15 seconds to complete.

Ray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk