Author Topic: Can Prosper close out August strong enough?  (Read 6640 times)

YellowSeed

• View Profile
Can Prosper close out August strong enough?
« on: August 28, 2012, 01:05:30 PM »
Is this the month Prosper's month over month growth stops?  I think they will squeeze everywhere they can and pull this month out, but they better get that S-1 effective fast as institutional interest does not seem to be growing like at LC.

See attached screenshot taken this morning.  Anyone else care to vote?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Peter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lend Academy
    • Email
Re: Can Prosper close out August strong enough?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 03:32:51 PM »
Is this the month Prosper's month over month growth stops?  I think they will squeeze everywhere they can and pull this month out, but they better get that S-1 effective fast as institutional interest does not seem to be growing like at LC.

See attached screenshot taken this morning.  Anyone else care to vote?

I keep a close eye on this and it is the closest I have seen them come to missing it. I think they will squeak past the previous month but probably not by more than $100,000. They are proud of their growth record but at just 332 listings right now it is going to be tight. Assuming an average of $7,500 per listing there is only $2.5 million loans on the platform right now. So these will all need to fund as well as another million. It is going to be close.
Publisher of the Lend Academy blog

See my returns here: http://www.lendacademy.com/returns

YellowSeed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 12:53:57 PM »
....and they missed.  This is not a good development, especially considering LC went from $60MM to $70MM.  After the last 10Q, I stopped investing new money in Prosper and now I will be withdrawing any spare cash rather than reinvesting it.  I hope that the news flow turns positive soon as I would like to continue to invest on the platform.

Peter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lend Academy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 01:51:45 PM »
....and they missed.  This is not a good development, especially considering LC went from $60MM to $70MM.  After the last 10Q, I stopped investing new money in Prosper and now I will be withdrawing any spare cash rather than reinvesting it.  I hope that the news flow turns positive soon as I would like to continue to invest on the platform.

They certainly did miss. A bit surprising after 23 months of positive growth. But I am continuing to invest as I see this as a minor setback.

YellowSeed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 07:54:39 PM »
After a rebound in growth in September, they struggled again in October.  I know Peter has a lot of faith in Prosper, but I would like share my plan.  I am starting to sell a few more notes than usual and I am for sure not investing any new money on the platform until:

1)  The Prosper Funding S-1 is effective and you see a substantial pickup in month over month loan volume,
2)  They close a massive funding round (round closing & announcement timed around date S-1 is effective?), or
3)  They are acquired

I feel that the potentially higher returns on Prosper are more than offset by the unknowns that bankruptcy would present; my money is going to LC.  The 10Q should be out in the next two weeks, I urge everyone to read it and pay attention to cash on the balance sheet and cash flows from operations. 

Peter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lend Academy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 04:50:15 PM »
Yellowseed,

Your points are valid but you are right I hold more faith in Prosper than many others. I will be meeting with their management team again next week and will be bringing up some of these points. I think their 10-Q is going to show slight improvement but not much.

I see another funding round coming, although not in the short term. I have been told time and again that there is a great deal of interest in Prosper from the VC community who see Prosper as good value for money when Lending Club is valued at more than $540 million.

Here is why I think it is a relatively low risk investment. Lending Club is showing the potential of this space and that it is going to become a serious player in financial services. Prosper is the #2 player but it will clearly benefit from the growth in the space. I see an acquisition as a possibility at some point but Prosper have done the hard yards and growth is going to get easier going forward I believe.

YellowSeed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 03:37:34 PM »
Oh boy, this is getting exciting.  Prosper Funding has filed two S-1/A in the past 10 days; they must be down to just clearing minor SEC comments now.  It also looks like they are going to have an awful month for originations. 

Once that S-1 is effective, I think we get an announcement of some kind and I am anxious to hear it.  If I were not so lazy I would create a poll, in which, my vote would be that we hear about a massive new funding round in December or at the latest in January. 

Peter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lend Academy
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 09:41:54 PM »
It does look like it is getting close with the SEC registration. Prosper investors could well be getting an early Christmas present. I think once Prosper Funding is in place the floodgates will open at Prosper.