Author Topic: Lenders population breakdown  (Read 6809 times)

Roni88

• View Profile
    • Email
Lenders population breakdown
« on: January 07, 2015, 09:57:31 AM »
I'm trying to figure out who invest in Peer to peer platforms.
The majority are sophisticated investors? Ordinary people? People that come with a financial background?

Are you familiar with relevant research?
or, do you know where can I find the answers to these questions?

Thanks,
Roni.

rawraw

• View Profile
Re: Lenders population breakdown
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 01:38:40 PM »
One of the Ivy leagues had a paper that discussed this in 2009ish.  But things have greatly changed since then

Roni88

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 04:40:54 AM »
I know Cambridge report from 2014, It contains information, but there is no reference to whether investors come with a financial background or not. And that's what I'm trying to understand.

Thanks.
R.

Fred93

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 04:21:25 PM »
...but there is no reference to whether investors come with a financial background or not. And that's what I'm trying to understand.

I don't think you're ever going to find that answer, because not only does LC not release such info about investors, they don't even capture such info, so they would be unable to release it to you even if they wanted to.

Personally, I think the answer is no.  The sheer number of investors tells you that.

SeattleSun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 09:56:57 PM »
Let me take a shot at that:

People who are Prosper/Lending Club lenders are "savers" or people who have money vs debtors.

So they are probably, like Costco members, college graduates. 

Older, white, male.

In my case BS Aerospace Engineer & MBA but retired from the manufacturing sector NOT finance.

I like many others was forced into "unsecured consumer lending on the internet" due to the Federal Reserves Zero Interest Rate Policy.  If I could get double digit returns, like my father did in the 1980s, in a laddered portfolio of FDIC insured Certificates of Deposits I would be their in a flash.

Since 90% of all Prosper loans are now "whole loans" those are the professional managed money.

BBingo

• View Profile
Lenders population breakdown
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 10:10:15 AM »

Let me take a shot at that:

People who are Prosper/Lending Club lenders are "savers" or people who have money vs debtors.

So they are probably, like Costco members, college graduates. 

Older, white, male.

In my case BS Aerospace Engineer & MBA but retired from the manufacturing sector NOT finance.

I like many others was forced into "unsecured consumer lending on the internet" due to the Federal Reserves Zero Interest Rate Policy.  If I could get double digit returns, like my father did in the 1980s, in a laddered portfolio of FDIC insured Certificates of Deposits I would be their in a flash.

Since 90% of all Prosper loans are now "whole loans" those are the professional managed money.

Hey, some of us aren't older :-P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz.  U

PennySaved

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 01:54:42 PM »
LC individual investors are required to have at least $70K annual income or net worth.  So that tells you something.  I seem to remember an older Lend Academy thread where posters were voluntarily providing personal background information, but I don't know how to find it.    I am LC and Prosper lender because of the low interest rate available for savings.  FYI, I am older (fiftysomething), white, but female.  Also engineer (chemical engineering) and Federal govt employee.

PennySaved

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 01:55:54 PM »
Also a Costco member!

SBryantMS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 10:12:38 PM »
Also a Sam's Club member and a Costco member -- does that make me cheap or smart?

rawraw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 10:59:49 PM »
I'm likely half of PennySaved's age.

oreo1981

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 07:28:58 PM »
I am not a college graduate, I am 33 and just a stupid truck driver/vendor that wants to gamble in p2p lending. Some money in dividend yielding blue chip stocks(cashed out half of the portfolio at recent highs though awaiting for the next big dip), some money in physical gold/silver bullion, alittle in p2p lending and rest in ally's 0.86?ish savings account <--meh
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 07:39:00 PM by oreo1981 »

Natalie-OBX

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 01:51:54 PM »
Late forties, white, college educated female here.  Not a finance background, but my husband and I ran our own real estate business for 14 years (mostly flipping).

I invest in LC and Prosper for the double digit returns that I can't get (conservatively) elsewhere.  I also do some local real estate lending, but more recently have gotten involved with real estate crowd funding.

I have found that when I try and discuss P2P lending and RE crowd funding with people I know, they have no idea what I'm talking about.

It's nice to have a group here to learn from and share ideas with.

--Natalie

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 12:26:52 AM »
rest in ally's 0.86?ish savings account

If you have ally's accounts, make sure you have online savings account (0.99%), and not money-market account (0.85%).

Temley

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 10:30:57 AM »
Late forties, white, college educated female here.  Not a finance background, but my husband and I ran our own real estate business for 14 years (mostly flipping).

I invest in LC and Prosper for the double digit returns that I can't get (conservatively) elsewhere.  I also do some local real estate lending, but more recently have gotten involved with real estate crowd funding.

I have found that when I try and discuss P2P lending and RE crowd funding with people I know, they have no idea what I'm talking about.

It's nice to have a group here to learn from and share ideas with.

--Natalie

Not to thread jack here, but what platform do you use?  I am interested, looked at patch of land, but concerned about re investing in local markets I know nothing about
I would suspect most are middle class search for higher returns then available elsewhere

Natalie-OBX

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 11:43:20 AM »
I'm currently investing on iFunding and Patch of Land.  They both structure their deals differently. 

With iFunding, you are buying into the LLC that owns the property.  At least those are the deals that I invested in.  They may have other structures.

With PoL, you are buying into an LLC that has a 1st position lien on the property.  They are doing a lot of deals in Newark, NJ, and I think they need to diversify more.  I don't want all of my apples in one basket.

I've been watching Fundrise also, but I am not comfortable with how they structure their deals.  It may not be that there's anything wrong with how they're structuring them.....it could just be that I am less comfortable with those structures that perhaps I don't understand.

--Natalie