Author Topic: What are late notes worth?  (Read 10034 times)

rj2

• View Profile
What are late notes worth?
« on: July 23, 2016, 06:58:04 PM »
LC returns adjustment says that 31 to 120 day late notes have a 9 month loss rate of 56%. However, I listed a dozen of them in folio at a 60% discount and nobody wants to buy any of them. Presumably if LC is right, 4% off their 9 month value is a bargain but obviously no one really thinks so.

So, what are they actually worth?

AnilG

• View Profile
    • PeerCube
Re: What are late notes worth?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 08:02:22 PM »
You might be looking at wrong numbers. According to Lending Club statistics page https://www.lendingclub.com/info/demand-and-credit-profile.action, on average the net charge off for Late (31-120 days) is 75%. On average, no one will buy with less than 75% discount for such loans. But this 75% charge off is based on averages across all loans. There can be wide variation in charge offs, thus desired discount, across loans based on different factors, such as credit grade, vintage, etc. The desired discount also depend on what else available on Folio. Why would I buy at 75% discount when highest discount for Late (31-120 days) loans is 85-90%? Personally, I don't buy Late (31-120 days) loans unless discount is more than 90%.

LC returns adjustment says that 31 to 120 day late notes have a 9 month loss rate of 56%. However, I listed a dozen of them in folio at a 60% discount and nobody wants to buy any of them. Presumably if LC is right, 4% off their 9 month value is a bargain but obviously no one really thinks so.

So, what are they actually worth?
---
Anil Gupta
PeerCube Thoughts blog https://www.peercube.com/blog
PeerCube https://www.peercube.com

DuaneLC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 09:32:10 PM »
Here is a note currently on Folio.  Maybe this will answer your question.  this note is Late 16-30 days and has a YTM return of 424.97%
 66.85% discount.
You will have to discount probably over 80% to sell it.

Loan ID   Note ID   Status   Prncp Left   Ask Price   YTM Return   Remain Pymts   Credit Scr Chng   Never Late   Date Listed   FICO End   Disc MkUp Pct   Int Rate
13126912   43936657   Late (16-30 days)   8.92   3.03   424.97   12   DOWN   false   07/23/2016   620-624   -66.85   15.61

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 11:13:35 PM »
Forget about what LC says.

What you need to do is to see your competition.  If there are similar notes (same status, grade, term, FICO trend, etc.) with lower prices, then you should beat their prices.

As a Folio trader, why should I buy your note if there are similar, cheaper ones?

thezfunk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 01:26:12 PM »
My 31-120 days late now won't move until I discount 90% or more.  Either everyone has gotten extremely picky or money has pulled out of the secondary market.

dr.everett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 02:17:50 PM »
Never been able to sell anything late without 90% off. I won't discount like that until it's 4 months late. Seen too many of my problem children make one last big payment before default and I don't want to miss that by discounting too early.

I do discount on occasion but only for certain things.

thezfunk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 02:32:07 PM »
Never been able to sell anything late without 90% off. I won't discount like that until it's 4 months late. Seen too many of my problem children make one last big payment before default and I don't want to miss that by discounting too early.

8+ months ago I could sell a 31-120 note for a discount in the ~70-80% range.  Since January, the distressed note selling has gotten really bad.  Grace notes that used to go at 15-20% discount won't move until I get to 30% or more.  16-30 has likewise deteriorated.  Even selling current notes needs a discount now.  So many more of my new notes go bad now too.  I used to see maybe ~8 or so notes go grace in a month.  Now the number is easily 3 times that.  I have been selling all my newer notes and switching to buying only seasoned notes on Folio in an attempt to stem the bleeding.

Larry321

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 03:31:12 PM »

There has got to be a way to determine the best price to sell 31-120 day notes.  If you could figur eout the probability of a 31-120 note finally making a payment (maybe total number 31-120 notes which become current divided by # of 31-120 day late notes which go to default) and figure the average principle lost through default, and figure out a price that is tempting to Folio-feeders.... I once knew how to do factor analysis when I was in grad school. I am convinced that by applying factor analysis to all the variable available describing loans (that stuff that can be downloaded in .csv files) one could determine which are more predictive that a loan will go bust or will be paid responsibly and regularly.  It seems to me, that the best way to maximize profit is to use history of all loans to determine relative risk.

Does anyone on here know statistics well enough to see if this would work?

LC notes investor for 3 years

Bitcoin speculator

rawraw

• View Profile
What are late notes worth?
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 03:48:16 PM »
I have much more trouble selling FICO drops now. I sure help that fellow on this forum who took tons of risk and sold the past dues is doing OK now that he is probably having to hold all those loans.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

rawraw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 03:49:15 PM »

There has got to be a way to determine the best price to sell 31-120 day notes.  If you could figur eout the probability of a 31-120 note finally making a payment (maybe total number 31-120 notes which become current divided by # of 31-120 day late notes which go to default) and figure the average principle lost through default, and figure out a price that is tempting to Folio-feeders.... I once knew how to do factor analysis when I was in grad school. I am convinced that by applying factor analysis to all the variable available describing loans (that stuff that can be downloaded in .csv files) one could determine which are more predictive that a loan will go bust or will be paid responsibly and regularly.  It seems to me, that the best way to maximize profit is to use history of all loans to determine relative risk.

Does anyone on here know statistics well enough to see if this would work?
I'd suspect people like Fred already do this. And I doubt they want to share

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

dr.everett

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 04:19:51 PM »

8+ months ago I could sell a 31-120 note for a discount in the ~70-80% range.  Since January, the distressed note selling has gotten really bad.  Grace notes that used to go at 15-20% discount won't move until I get to 30% or more.  16-30 has likewise deteriorated.  Even selling current notes needs a discount now.  So many more of my new notes go bad now too.  I used to see maybe ~8 or so notes go grace in a month.  Now the number is easily 3 times that.  I have been selling all my newer notes and switching to buying only seasoned notes on Folio in an attempt to stem the bleeding.

Same here. Seeing $4k of notes getting charged off a month has gotten really old.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 06:01:50 PM »
I'd suspect people like Fred already do this. And I doubt they want to share

Some hints: "marked to model" vs. "marked to market."

LoanShark

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 07:04:39 PM »
There aren't many buyers willing to snap up very late notes.  Over time I've found I'm better off retaining them, some of them DO turn current and I can either hold on to them or sell them at a much better rate.   Plus, I like the idea of retaining my losses,I took the risk, I eat the consequences.

I'm seeing a lot of my charge offs sell to collection agencies at about 13 cents on the dollar, I've also seen the occasional recovery payment.

Also, unless you have more than 3k in losses, you can count the loss against your regular income, so its not such a horrible deal.
(edit: yeah that deduction's for taxable accounts)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 07:47:30 PM by LoanShark »

thezfunk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 12:07:02 AM »

Also, unless you have more than 3k in losses, you can count the loss against your regular income, so its not such a horrible deal.

Not if my money is in a Roth IRA, correct?

anabio

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 07:38:20 AM »

Not if my money is in a Roth IRA, correct?

No...can't deduct losses in a Roth.

One piece of info that is probably not apropos to this but might be of worth to someone who has a lot of losses in a Roth (like I did around 2008). You can deduct losses in Roth if you close ALL your Roth accounts (not just the one that had the loss). Then you list the original purchase price of all Roths on you tax return and the price at the time of closing. The loss can be deducted on your taxes. Of course that means you have NO Roth after that point and have to start all over. In my case I only had a small amount in the Roth and wasn't that big of a deal to start over.

Since you had a loss you won't be hit with the early withdrawal penalty because the law allows you to withdraw your contributions to a Roth at any time...not just after you are 59 1/2 years old.
As Will Rogers stated: : I'm not as concerned about the return on my money as I am the return of my money