Author Topic: Mysterious credit on statement: OPA TREAS 310  (Read 58323 times)

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
Mysterious credit on statement: OPA TREAS 310
« on: December 14, 2013, 02:05:12 AM »
My elderly grandmother just discovered a series of small credits on her bank statement.  They all say something like the following:

APA TREAS 310 MISC PAY HR133xxxxxxxxxx

I've tried to do some investigation and everything I find mentions Veterans Affairs.  She's never fought in any wars or anything like that.  310 appears to mean Kansas City but that doesn't help us much.  She is on medicare and social security but these were a bunch of ~$100 credits (not likely SS) and she hasn't been to a doctor lately.  She is worried sick about this for some reason.  I'd just take the money and run, myself.

What is "APA TREAS"?  Is there anyone I can contact to investigate this?  I do have that full HR133xxx number so if there's some site I can pull that up on that would be ideal.

Thanks in advance.

edward

• View Profile
Re: Mysterious credit on statement: OPA TREAS 310
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 02:16:50 AM »
http://www.fms.treas.gov/faq/payments_why.html
This may at least help you with a number to call.

Update:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_FSA_Treas_310_Misc_Pay#slide2
This says TREAS 310 MISC PAY is mileage reimbursement for VA hospital visits

http://www.fms.treas.gov/greenbook/pdf/PaymentRevMay2012.pdf
These are the types of payments processed out of Kansas City (310)  [page 2-8]

Thrift Saving Plan
Annuity
Annuity
Vendor/Miscellaneous
IDD
SSI Monthly
SSI Daily
VA Benefit
VA Retro (Adjustment)
VA Public Law Chapt 31
VA EDUCATION CHAPTER 30
VA EDUC CHAP 1606
VA SPINA BIFIDA/CHAPTER 18
VA (RESERVED)
VA (RESERVED)
VA (RESERVED)
VA (RESERVED)
VA (RESERVED)
Federal Salary
Travel
Vendor/Miscellaneous
Prime Pay

Questions?
Contact the Kansas City Customer Assistance Staff: (816) 414-2100

http://www.va.gov/opa/
The OPA reference (OPA TREAS) on the code may refer to this office of Veterans Affairs

« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 03:27:40 AM by edward »

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 02:34:20 AM »
Thanks Edward.  The field numbers they mention on that page don't seem to match anything I have.  Darn paper statements... I'm only getting an abbreviated description obviously.  At least the phone number may help... when they open Monday, that is.  She may have worked herself into hysteria by then at the rate she's going.

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 12:05:07 PM »
They turned out to be legit.  Some interest payments on bonds, as I understand it.

Rob L

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 04:47:39 PM »
Good deed done Edward, and to Core looking for out for his/her grandma.

Randawl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 08:56:56 PM »
Core has a heart.  Nothing to see here.

Delete thread quickly.

DanB

• A lie told often enough becomes The Truth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 09:46:57 PM »
They turned out to be legit.  Some interest payments on bonds, as I understand it.
Good deed done Edward, and to Core looking for out for his/her grandma.

Core.............I don't understand. What is your grandmother doing investing in measly interest paying bonds? Haven't you told her that you can help her bring in 150 times what she's currently earning by letting you trade her money in LC Folio?  Oh, I see, she knows you too well huh?  :)
Still, it's good to see that your "4 legs good, 2 legs bad" policy of loving animals, but disliking humans, doesn't encompass family members.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 12:57:44 AM by DanB »

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 09:26:43 AM »
Core.............I don't understand. What is your grandmother doing investing in measly interest paying bonds? Haven't you told her that you can help her bring in 150 times what she's currently earning by letting you trade her money in LC Folio?  Oh, I see, she knows you too well huh?  :)

I briefly thought about getting her involved with LC.  Then I thought how bad I would feel if LC goes bankrupt and all the notes are worthless.  It's hard enough explaining to her what LC even does -- it would be 100x harder explaining to her how she lost all her money.  Sure would be nice knowing I have a guaranteed buyer for my notes when the payment due date arrives and they haven't yet sold though.  (Just kidding folks.)

As for why she got into bonds... She worked for GE during the war.  Rosie the Riveter situation.  They matched 100% on any war bonds she purchased.  No real limit besides salary, from what I understood.  And a big fat pension.  Sounds like it was a helluva deal to me.  And it's one heck of an experience watching a 90 year old woman soldering, that's for sure.

DanB

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 01:26:14 PM »

I briefly thought about getting her involved with LC. Then I thought how bad I would feel if LC goes bankrupt and all the notes are worthless. It's hard enough explaining to her what LC even does -- it would be 100x harder explaining to her how she lost all her money.  Sure would be nice knowing I have a guaranteed buyer for my notes when the payment due date arrives and they haven't yet sold though.  (Just kidding folks.)

As for why she got into bonds... She worked for GE during the war.  Rosie the Riveter situation.  They matched 100% on any war bonds she purchased.  No real limit besides salary, from what I understood.  And a big fat pension.  Sounds like it was a helluva deal to me.  And it's one heck of an experience watching a 90 year old woman soldering, that's for sure.

On the other hand, if you can really make 1000%+ per annum, (like you used to claim) then how long would her money really be at risk? A few weeks? I mean just several weeks or a month or two of exposure at 1000% per annum would give her 10x, 20x. 30x times over whatever she could possibly be making in any type of bonds known to man. What are the chances that LC would go broke during the exact narrow window of a few weeks that you're doing this? Come on, don't you owe it to your grandmother?  :)

Bohb Daishi

• I eat free lunches
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 12:59:41 AM »
On the other hand, if you can really make 1000%+ per annum, (like you used to claim)

I call BS on this number. You might top 200-300% if you are really good, but there is too much competition in this market to earn more than that.
There are three ways to make a living in this business: be first, be smarter, or cheat.

DanB

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 02:27:51 AM »
On the other hand, if you can really make 1000%+ per annum, (like you used to claim)

I call BS on this number. You might top 200-300% if you are really good, but there is too much competition in this market to earn more than that.

Well I don't like to say BS, because that is just half a step away from calling someone a liar. Of course, based on his history of histrionics & bombastic claims encompassing everything from alleged cover ups (never proven), alleged conspiracies (never proven), to secret relationships that myself & others have had with LC, Prosper et al (never proven)..............I tend to take most things that Core says & either reduce the intensity of his statements by 50% or dismiss them completely.

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 02:53:51 AM »
Dan, your memory is failing you in your old age.  The last IRR figure in my sig wasn't anywhere close to 1000%.  It was around 450-500 as I recall when you asked me to take it down.

I also wouldn't take anyone seriously who claims to "know" how much it is possible to make.  Trades are not published so one cannot know what is changing hands.  Obviously there is still room to make even more if someone else is still able to make a buck. 

DanB

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 03:25:40 AM »
Dan, your memory is failing you in your old age.  The last IRR figure in my sig wasn't anywhere close to 1000%.  It was around 450-500 as I recall when you asked me to take it down.

I also wouldn't take anyone seriously who claims to "know" how much it is possible to make.  Trades are not published so one cannot know what is changing hands.  Obviously there is still room to make even more if someone else is still able to make a buck. 

I never said anything about your "last" IRR figure. Are you denying that you used to list a number around 1000?

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 03:33:10 AM »
I never said anything about your "last" IRR figure. Are you denying that you used to list a number around 1000?

I don't recall ever showing an IRR in my sig anywhere near that.  Back when I was making that kind of return I hadn't even heard of this forum yet.  Perhaps you are thinking of return over deposits which would have been around 2000% at the time.