Author Topic: Worst Month Yet  (Read 248123 times)

Rob L

• View Profile
Re: Worst Month Yet
« Reply #510 on: November 07, 2017, 09:50:38 AM »
Is anyone doing good?  I can't believe that every single investor is down.

It's not much but FWIW see:
https://forum.lendacademy.com/index.php/topic,4634.msg42228.html#msg42228

However, these notes are quite young and, ever the LC optimist, I expect sub 4% annualized yield over the full life.
I'm thinking anything north of 3.5% annualized would be a decent outcome. Really setting the bar low. Just have to wait and see.
Guess the answer to your question lies in your definition of "good".

jd

• View Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 07, 2017, 10:36:28 AM »
However, these notes are quite young and, ever the LC optimist, I expect sub 4% annualized yield over the full life.
I'm thinking anything north of 3.5% annualized would be a decent outcome. Really setting the bar low. Just have to wait and see.
Guess the answer to your question lies in your definition of "good".

True that.

I'm very new to game so I luckily missed the 2016 blood bath that you guys all unfortunately had to deal with. Be interesting to see how things work out for me going forward. At some point I'll put up my numbers for comparison but my account is very young. 

For now I'm doing great.  Two months, 100 notes, everyone has paid. We will see how that holds up.

jheizer

• View Profile
    • LC Tools
« Reply #512 on: November 07, 2017, 10:49:44 AM »
I'm in the down but not out category.  I'll still make money this year, just not nearly as much as last year.  Sticking it out through next year to see how things go.

Interestingly I was talking about this with a friend earlier and I found an "Understanding your returns" chart I had screenshoted almost exactly a year ago.  Only a slight diference...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfQUr8yXu04&feature=youtu.be

Edit: I must have had different options selected, but the different colors makes it easier to see so left it that way.  Same idea.
Replacement to P2P Quant's Percentile Tool http://lc.geekminute.com

Rob L

• View Profile
« Reply #513 on: November 07, 2017, 11:49:55 AM »
Very neat video!
Here's an old screenshot of mine from 2 1/2 years ago, 4-20-2015 (i.e. the good old days).
Definitely more than a slight difference.
Interesting that by this time I had already purchased about 2/3 of the total number of notes ever owned (6,136 of 9,715).

Rob L

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: December 05, 2017, 06:34:02 PM »
This is the second anniversary of the LC "Worst Month Yet" thread. We need a birthday cake emoji.
They say time flies when you're having a good time, so it seems just like yesterday.  ::)
The thread pre-dated the LC scandal of May 2016 by 6 months so maybe it served as a canary in the coal mine for trouble ahead.
Little did I know how bad things would get. See the arrows on the charts indicating the start date of this thread.

The scandal probably saved me a lot of money on my investments in notes. I bought no notes between 5/21/2016 and 9/9/2016.
During that time I sold about half my notes on FolioFn and reduced my exposure to LC by half. My sales were quite profitable.
I count my blessings I didn't let it ride, though there were opinions shared here that those of us leaving at that time were panicking.
I think bugging out is why my losses now are very modest. They gotta be half what they would have been.
My biggest mistake was to begin reinvesting once again in D&E notes from 9/9 2016 until 1/24/17. DUH?? Why did I do that??
I invested in B only notes from 1/24/2017 and bought my last LC note on 2/27/2017.
As an parting gift this is now clearly the worst month yet (as a percent of principal invested thank goodness).
Now my principal invested is about equal to my profits over the years, and is maybe 20% of principal invested at the peak.
I could come back to LC as an investor but it would take a very big dose of Missouri (the "show-me" state) for that to happen.

rawraw

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 06, 2017, 07:20:22 PM »
So far I've made money this year, but barely!  The account I manage that is mostly A/B has had a ~6% return this year.  Amazing what a few EFGs will do to a boy's returns :)

Rob L

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: December 07, 2017, 09:58:40 AM »
So far I've made money this year, but barely!  The account I manage that is mostly A/B has had a ~6% return this year.  Amazing what a few EFGs will do to a boy's returns :)

Even more amazing what a whole fist full of them will do.
However I don't own and F & G's; learned my lesson years ago on F's and never bought G's.
So, just a fist full of D's and E's do the trick.  :)

lascott

• View Profile
    • Appreciate my post and want to try LendingRobot? URL below
« Reply #517 on: January 06, 2018, 01:53:40 PM »
I'm still drawing down.  Taxable account is the earlier account and that may be one reason it has fared better. They were both pretty conservative but I *thought* my ROTH was even more conservative.

Tools I use: (main) BlueVestment: https://www.bluevestment.com/app/pricing + https://www.interestradar.com/ , (others) Lending Robot referral link: https://www.lendingrobot.com/ref/scott473/  & Peercube referral code: DFVA9Y

Rob L

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 07, 2018, 02:47:01 PM »
Back to another average down month. Total losses for the year were $986.56 and much less than they could have been.
Only good news was that I was able to move another $10k back over to SDIRA.

SeanMCA

• View Profile
    • deBanked
    • Email
« Reply #519 on: January 07, 2018, 06:14:18 PM »
I finished with a negative return for the year on Both Lending Club and Prosper. Just terrible.
I'm a merchant cash advance veteran exploring the p2p lending waters.

jheizer

• View Profile
    • LC Tools
« Reply #520 on: January 07, 2018, 06:25:02 PM »
I finished the year positive a grand but my guess is after you account for the tax treatment and the payment fees I'm probably flat.
Replacement to P2P Quant's Percentile Tool http://lc.geekminute.com

au88

• View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 13, 2018, 09:20:33 AM »
Yea don't forget that only 3k of your losses actually count as losses. If you're like me and earned 30k in interest but lost 33k to defaults then you'll be paying taxes on 27k of phantom earnings. Ridiculous.

.Ryan.

• View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 13, 2018, 12:47:10 PM »
Yea don't forget that only 3k of your losses actually count as losses. If you're like me and earned 30k in interest but lost 33k to defaults then you'll be paying taxes on 27k of phantom earnings. Ridiculous.

au88, is this accurate? I believe the 3k limit you are referring to is actually 3k of losses that can be deducted beyond all gains.

In your example above, the first 30k of gains/losses offset, and the next 3k of losses are deductible against ordinary income. Any losses beyond that 3k would need to be carried forward.

storm

• View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 14, 2018, 03:45:02 AM »
au88, is this accurate? I believe the 3k limit you are referring to is actually 3k of losses that can be deducted beyond all gains.

In your example above, the first 30k of gains/losses offset, and the next 3k of losses are deductible against ordinary income. Any losses beyond that 3k would need to be carried forward.

Interest from LC is counted like regular income, not capital gains.  You can offset your capital losses only with capital gains.  For example, if au88 made a killing in the stock market this past year and had $5k in gains, he could reduce the amount of carried losses to $25k ($5k + $3k).

lendingprosper23

• View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 15, 2018, 07:52:50 PM »
Invested in LC and Prosper since early 2016... decided to take 1/20th of what I invested in p2p lending and put it in crypto in september. I have now made literally 100x the net profit in 3 months than I have in 2 years in p2p lending.

and its impossible to sell down the portfolio in any reasonable time frame.

im out.