Doctor
Lawyer
Teacher
Public Service - Police, Fire and related
Other
Small Business Owner
Blogger
Technology - IT sector jobs

Author Topic: What do You do for a living (you know, in real, non LC life:) )  (Read 16523 times)

rlv99

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What do You do for a living (you know, in real, non LC life:) )
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 02:38:11 PM »
Retired 17 years ago at age 60.  Owned a consulting telecommunications engineering company which did a of the early cellular radio system development  and design work. Since then, private investor, small VC stuff.

LC is fun for me.  Fills the time when it rains and I can't play golf.  :)  I suppose once I lose some money, it won't be so much fun!!!

Zach

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 03:47:14 PM »
"In real, non LC life" meaning LC is not allowed as an answer?  This is my main source of income.  It pays the bills and nets a decent savings on top of that.  I find this p2p stuff is more relaxing and certainly more stable than other things I could be doing.

But if that's not allowed... I retired from software development 15 years ago in my 20s and now use those skills to come up with whatever schemes will make the most money in the shortest amount of time without human intervention.   For example card counting blackjack bots.  Backgammon for money.  Sports arbitrage.  Video game currency exploits.

How did you have enough saved to retire so young (if you don't mind me asking)?

Show Me The $

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 04:08:43 PM »
Not quite sure which option to pick - my main job is in print publishing, but part of it is IT/tech stuff... I also do occasional freelance work and I have a music blog.

bassfamily is a username ^^^^

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 04:24:29 PM »
How did you have enough saved to retire so young (if you don't mind me asking)?

I didn't have enough saved.  That fact was made painfully obvious to me at one point along the way.   Perhaps "pre-retired" would have been more accurate.   My definition of retirement is when your investments make more than you do and you stop working.  Investments can be in the form of raw cash, or in this case assets in the form of code already written which was generating residual income, signed royalty agreements, etc..  It wasn't projected to stop.  It did.  Doh!

It may be "cheating", but I still spend a week or two out of the year doing code maintenance or launching another idea.  I don't really use the 'R' word anymore.  Perhaps I shouldn't have here.  But it was accurate 15 years ago.

Show Me The $

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 06:05:37 AM »
It is nice to hear some of the storied behind the screen names. Thanks for playing everyone!

I am the 1 person who answered real estate. I am 36 years old. I did well in the good years and managed ok during the crap real estate years. I have been my own boss basically since I walked out of college. I invest my portfolio in various investments such as LC (just started this year), obviously real estate (commercial and residential) and various other opportunistic areas with a mixture of high and low risk with corresponding yields except one which is low risk and (relatively) high reward for that risk. I have 3 kids and try not to work too hard :) and help those in need as best I can.

That's my life in a paragraph !

rawraw

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 07:19:20 AM »
Not quite sure which option to pick - my main job is in print publishing, but part of it is IT/tech stuff... I also do occasional freelance work and I have a music blog.
How are you so cool. . .

thezfunk

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 10:59:46 AM »
I do physical security system design (CCTV, access control).  Currently working on a national account for a TBTF bank.  It's quite a mess (their current setup).

Rob L

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2013, 01:22:28 PM »
One of the 3 small business owners that have replied so far. When I apply for my next LC loan I'll be sure NOT to list its purpose as business. My business is a small electronics design and manufacturing firm. I was lucky enough to get into something I loved from the start and I still do. Play a little golf but I never plan to retire. I'm very new to P2P and simply enjoy learning new stuff. P2P seemed like a nice way to diversify my retirement portfolio (ok, desperately reach for yield) and also participate in something interesting at the same time. Guess P2P is my next new thing...

PennySaved

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2013, 02:48:30 PM »
Chemical Engineer.  Federal Employee working for a regulatory agency.

brycemason

• View Profile
    • P2P-Picks.com
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2013, 03:20:07 PM »
Probably most people know, but I'm a college administrator. I do all the statistics and some policy analysis for a medium sized university in Los Angeles. Before my 8 years in college administration, I was at the RAND Corp. for 5 years as a doctoral fellow.

Lloigor

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2013, 03:30:43 PM »
Airplane pilot, in my 30s.  Hoping to retire out of the country by 50, expecting to by 55.

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2013, 03:36:38 PM »
Airplane pilot, in my 30s.  Hoping to retire out of the country by 50, expecting to by 55.

Excellent!  Now that job would be fun as hell.  I've got my license but backed out of taking that as a career at the last minute.  Cost of entry was high.  Sure would have been fun though.  This was back when flight attendants were stewardesses and they looked the part too.

So that's what you do for your career, but how do you make a living?  How are you eating?  Do you get food stamps?  Heheh I'm just kidding.  Mostly.  I know it's bad out there.

daniel2023

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2013, 09:18:20 PM »
nonprofit social services

Grant

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2013, 12:20:41 AM »
Anesthesiologist in an academic practice.  In an MBA program for fun on the side.

AnilG

• View Profile
    • PeerCube
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2013, 01:23:06 AM »
Cool, another Chemical Engineer. I am an ex-Chemical Engineer, switched to IT after I leading IT people as ChE and realized that I was getting paid half of them and working twice as hard.

Chemical Engineer.  Federal Employee working for a regulatory agency.
---
Anil Gupta
PeerCube Thoughts blog https://www.peercube.com/blog
PeerCube https://www.peercube.com