Author Topic: Spam squelch suggestions  (Read 12227 times)

Bilgefisher

Spam squelch suggestions
« on: September 19, 2011, 10:03:23 AM »
Sadly the spammers have already found you.  Many others who are on this forum will have ideas on how to help stop the spam, so I created this thread.  Nothing kills a forum quicker than spam.

-limit links in threads to those with x number of posts.  5-50.  Whatever you deem useful.
-have a spam slam tally. Encourage users to report spam.  Keep a running tally of those who report the most spam and share with the board.
-limit signature links.
-get help from others to moderate your board.  The large volume of spammers can overwhelm your valuable free time.

Peter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lend Academy
    • Email
Re: Spam squelch suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 11:20:04 AM »
Thanks Jason. Wow - in 48 hours I had about 10 spam posts. I will definitely look into some of these suggestions today. Any more suggestions would also be welcome.
Publisher of the Lend Academy blog

See my returns here: http://www.lendacademy.com/returns

nonattender

• I am not here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 03:25:50 PM »
They can't post spam if they can't get an account.  Some sort of captcha and an email ack verification, when signing up for an account...
This is a fairly popular forum software - I'm sure such modules exist - or may even have been built into the admin backend at this point.

Technological and algorithmic solutions to be preferred at all costs;  human moderation (ie, giving spammers your time) is not an option.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Peter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lend Academy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 04:01:07 PM »
Thanks. I just did some quick research and there are a ton of options out there for the software I use. I will take a look through these and implement something in the next day or two.

nonattender

• I am not here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 11:38:58 PM »
Growing at a rate of about 75 "new users" per day - better hurry up and turn on email verification and get a turing test installed or it's roboland...
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Peter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lend Academy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 09:08:39 AM »
Growing at a rate of about 75 "new users" per day - better hurry up and turn on email verification and get a turing test installed or it's roboland...

I have looked into some of the spam helpers for SMF but am having some trouble implementing them. And spam is getting worse daily. Does anything know an SMF expert I could hire?

Bilgefisher

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 09:35:44 AM »
Peter,

I can't say who would be best, but perhaps try elance or odesk.  They might have some simple inexpensive fixes for you.  Btw, I think you can search for folks that have the direct SMF experience.  Many will have a portfolio for you to view.

Do not put out a job request though, everyone will claim to have that experience.  You are better off contacting the ones you like directly.

Jason
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 09:38:59 AM by Bilgefisher »

Peter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lend Academy
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 05:58:02 PM »
Peter,

I can't say who would be best, but perhaps try elance or odesk.  They might have some simple inexpensive fixes for you.  Btw, I think you can search for folks that have the direct SMF experience.  Many will have a portfolio for you to view.

Do not put out a job request though, everyone will claim to have that experience.  You are better off contacting the ones you like directly.

Jason

Thanks Jason, I have found someone through the SMF forum. He will be working on the site tomorrow. By the end of the week we should be spam free.