Author Topic: Auto Invest: how are users/strategies prioritized?  (Read 4861 times)

MoneyTree

• View Profile
    • Email
Auto Invest: how are users/strategies prioritized?
« on: August 05, 2013, 02:43:07 PM »
Doe anybody know if there is some kind of round-robin processing going on amongst the IR users that might lead to my lower-ranked strategies not getting used until much later than my higher-ranked strategies. If this is the case, I fear that I may be missing out on loans that are getting funded before my lower-ranked strategies get triggered.

Specifically: Once it's my turn in the IR Auto Invest queue, do ALL my strategies get triggered before the next IR user, or does just ONE of mine get triggered before it moves on to the next user, only returning to my next strategy after having triggered one strategy for all the other users?

If it is the latter, I might want to reorder my strategies to try to increase the number of notes yielded.

rev

• View Profile
    • Interest Radar
    • Email
Re: Auto Invest: how are users/strategies prioritized?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 02:56:56 PM »
Once it's your turn, all your strategies are invested in the order you listed them.

berniemadeoff

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 04:53:58 PM »
Hey Rev - is there any way to beat the other bots out there?  Maybe enough people here would be willing to pay higher monthly fees if you could add more horsepower to your site, like putting in servers next door to Lending Club like the hedge funds do with their data providers.   ;)

slypete

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 09:11:46 PM »
Why is there even a concept of turns? That's not fast enough unless you're first in line. Why can't all auto invest requests happen at the same time in parallel. Is there an API restriction?

CYY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 09:30:10 AM »
I understand the need to "round-robin" and process each member one at a time. How long does it take to go through all the auto-invest members?

Is it always the same order? In other words, does the early members' strategies always gets processed before the recent members?

Is there a commitment to process all the members before a certain time (say 5 or 10 minutes)? I noticed that the good loans are always gone within the first couple of minutes.  I don't have a chance to get them manually and I am hoping that auto-invest can level the field a little.

Thanks

RollWave

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 03:27:50 PM »
How long does it take to go through all the auto-invest members?
good question.  I'm curious about this too.  No idea if its seconds or minutes or what.

Is it always the same order? In other words, does the early members' strategies always gets processed before the recent members?
it's random.

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 03:48:59 PM »
If a malicious user creates 50 gazillion strategies will that stall everyone else when it's his turn?

rev

• View Profile
    • Interest Radar
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 05:35:10 PM »
It depends, but it's around 2 minutes to do everyone now.
Computing the strategies takes milliseconds. The number of available loans to invest at any single time is around 150. Applying the filters to 150 thousand records would be fast, cut that 3 orders of magnitude and we're talking about lightening fast; really negligible delay.
What really takes time is logging in the user to LC, checking the available cash balance, adding notes to the order, and confirming the order two times.

I'm working on making it faster by:
1. Pre-logging in everyone and checking the cash balances before the cut off time
2. Adding notes to orders in parallel requests
3. Confirming orders in parallel requests

One server can only do so much parallel activities before resources deadlock or bottleneck. It may be indeed necessary to have several instances working on these tasks. Not something very easy and fast to implement, but it's in the road map.

rlv99

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 06:36:33 PM »
Rev, good to know that efforts to make API faster are in the works.  If you are going to pre-login, will that require that I be logged out substantially beforehand?

Just want to say that IR has been a valuable resource to me and I particularly value the Auto-Invest feature.  IR is the best there is, in my opinion.

Rob L

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 07:32:52 PM »
I don't think you will have to log out at all. I've been logged in to my account on two computers simultaneously in the past and it's worked just fine. For that matter you can log in simultaneously using two tabs of the same browser in one computer. As long as you are not really banging away on the LC platform putting a heavy demand load on their servers you shouldn't have any problems.

viking

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 08:23:35 PM »
It depends, but it's around 2 minutes to do everyone now.
It seems that another limitation is that LC is sometimes not passing on the new loans to the API, and new loans are therefore only available on LC but not IR. In this case, it wouldn't help how fast the IR servers are. For example, postings were delayed and didn't post on IR until:

Mon 8/12/2013 11:00 AM (expected 10:00 AM)
Sun 8/11/2013 11:22 AM (expected 10:00 AM)
Mon 8/5/2013 10:47 AM (expected 10:00 AM)
Sun 8/4/2013 12:54 PM (expected 10:00 AM)

It is most frequently happening on Mondays and Sundays at the 10:00 Am posting. However, I have also seen it happen at other times.

p2p2p2p2p

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 09:47:10 AM »
I currently have an ongoing problem at LC whereby two of my servers entered simultaneous orders and included the same note in both orders. Although my available cash balance is accurate on the summary page, the cash available on the Browse notes page is lower by the amount of the note duplicated. Apparently the order is in limbo and cleared out at LC but my ability to buy notes is still reduced until they solve the problem. I believe it is caused by my choosing to exclude loans already invested in, being in conflict with simultaneous orders for the same note for the same account. Hopefully this will get resolved before the IPO