Author Topic: Funds Returned  (Read 12012 times)

cnmor54

• View Profile
Re: Funds Returned
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2013, 07:30:28 PM »
sorry  :-[ must have had a senior moment ... off to sit in the corner

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 07:35:07 PM »
Certainly you have a way to isolate this issue.   ;)

I'm not sure how you'd "isolate" such an issue.  There are locations on standard time right now... California/LC isn't one of them.  If I type in MST rather than MDT during DST I expect my code to OBEY.  With a freaking smile.  If you write what you mean, and mean what you write, there isn't an issue.  It's just as easy to get these things right the first time around.

In the olden days, we maintained a table of various exchanges, their open hours, by various local time.  For example, Tokyo Stock Exchange (TSE) opens at hour n, when locale = NYC, and period 3/10/2013 to 11/3/2013;  and TSE opens at hour (n+/-1), when locale = NYC, and period 11/4/2013 to 3/9/2014, etc.  You choose a locale, than you can find out what time everybody is open on any day.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 07:44:33 PM by Fred »

DutchNurse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2013, 07:38:53 PM »
'four drop times'

6:00am 10:00am 2:00pm 6:00pm PST - when LC notes are supposed to be posted.

Ah. Thanks, yeah I know the times wasn't sure if thats what you were referring to.

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2013, 07:41:14 PM »
sorry  :-[ must have had a senior moment ... off to sit in the corner

You may come out at 17:40 PST.  It's now 18:40 CDT.  Ok seniors, how many hours is that? ;)

If a train A is leaving station R to the east at 60mph with a load of institutional investors and collides with train B going west.......

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2013, 05:25:44 AM »
In the olden days, we maintained a table of various exchanges, their open hours, by various local time.  For example, Tokyo Stock Exchange (TSE) opens at hour n, when locale = NYC, and period 3/10/2013 to 11/3/2013;  and TSE opens at hour (n+/-1), when locale = NYC, and period 11/4/2013 to 3/9/2014, etc.  You choose a locale, than you can find out what time everybody is open on any day.

"Olden" days?  That seems like a sane approach to take even today.  But my point was:  Garbage in, garbage out.  If you enter "PST" when you meant "PDT" when setting the time, then all your pretty tables won't make a damn bit of difference because your system clock will be off by an hour.  I know you know this, I was just using your example as an example.  And Fred, the rest of this certainly isn't directed at you.

Case in point: 
I'm on satellite internet, and the free bandwidth period is from 01:00-06:00 CST.  <- note the 'S', here it's actually intentional, meaning always standard time.  During DST that means it's 02:00-07:00 CDT to us terrestrials.  If they had advertised the free BW period as 01:00-06:00 "CT" then you would expect it to shift with DST.  It does not.

This is certainly the exception, and most sites/locales observe DST.  If you see 'S' or 'D', then logic would dictate you need to take notice.  Either the person is telling you something you need to know, or he is a trained monkey and doesn't know either way.  The latter is the case most of the time.

Please don't say "PST" when you really mean "PT".  Please.

cnmor54

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2013, 11:16:40 AM »
Core

Dutch just wanted to know what was meant by drop time. I was pretty sure Dutch knew what the issue times were but was confused my the expression 'drop time' so I decided to come out of lurkdom and answer. Just being friendly. Instead of typing pt , I typed in pst.  You corrected me, I apologized. Now you are referring to me a trained monkey --- a male trained monkey ----

why don't you take a chill pill or better yet ... run off with bernie.

peace and love ... Carol

DutchNurse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2013, 12:50:45 PM »
The joys of forums, where timing and tone of voice mean so much...but come through so little and make mountains of molehills  ;D

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2013, 01:37:17 PM »
No Carol I didn't refer to you personally, all in good fun, and I'm sorry you think I should be barred from here as Bernie was.  It takes all kinds to make a forum interesting, even jerks like me.  The turnoff for Sesame Street was a few miles back.  This forum is quite tame as such things go.   Sorry for poking fun.

cfb

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2013, 09:20:07 AM »
If a train A is leaving station R to the east at 60mph with a load of institutional investors and collides with train B going west.......

"...which tv CSI team will spend an hour sifting through the debris?"

cnmor54

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2013, 11:21:19 AM »
Core - i have no problem being poked fun at.  I even appreciated being reminded about the incorrect use of standard time. I did it in another forum awhile back. Will definitely work on that.

And no, you should not be barred.  You just reminded me of Bernie's incessant whining.

Carol

rlv99

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013, 12:01:27 PM »
a train A is leaving station R to the east at 60mph with a load of institutional investors and collides with train B going west.......

New institutional investors would instantaneously take their place.

Hey, Carol, I'm long retired too, but probably much older than you!  We, as a group, may be a little more laid back than core since we aren't fighting the good fight anymore like he is.  It's tougher out there these days.

Rob L

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2013, 04:11:59 PM »
I'm on satellite internet, ...
A rural friend is considering satellite internet (not particularly interested in TV) and asked my opinion regarding carrier selection. I'd like your take on this if you care to share it. Thanks in advance.

Ran

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2013, 04:31:51 PM »
Click on "Order History", look for something in the "Expired" column, and click on the order number to see the note that cancelled from that order.  You are wasting your time though as LC doesn't tell you the exact reason the note was cancelled, and there are a multitude of reasons.

The loans were either "Removed" or "withdrawn by applicant". The second category is a killer because these loans turn out to have very good credit profile compared to grades they're assigned to. But the borrowers may have found a better alternatives - considering 5% application fee. LC is feasting too much on the fees >:(.

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2013, 04:35:59 PM »
A rural friend is considering satellite internet (not particularly interested in TV) and asked my opinion regarding carrier selection. I'd like your take on this if you care to share it. Thanks in advance.

I signed on with Hughesnet because there were still Recovery Act funds available at the time, and I haven't tried other companies so I can't really offer a fair comparison.  I'm only paying $39.99/mo so I do not want to spoil that arrangement by swithing plans around.

I would say that your friend's choice depends solely on how he/she is going to use bandwidth.  I have the original Hughesnet plan (I don't know if it's called "classic" or what... no longer on the site) where you only get 250MB per day, however the overnight hours are unmetered.  This is perfect for me because I can just schedule my torrents and stuff to run at night.  But Hughesnet is now pushing this "Gen4" crap which has no unlimited period at night so for my purposes, "upgrading" would be a total ripoff.  Maybe they're not even offering the old plans. 

So if your friend is a heavy downloader, I would recommend either talking Hughesnet into giving you an old plan or going with one of the "classic" Wildblue/Excede plans.   Or if just a casual user and he/she knows how much bandwidth is going to be needed then you can just go with whatever is cheapest, including install costs, for the amount of bandwidth needed.  And read the fine print yourself -- these salespeople will lie to you all day long about what's unlimited and what's not.

It's certainly a whole different ballgame on a high latency connection.  Lots of stuff you can't do.  Online games are flat out impossible.  Live streaming Fox/CNN doesn't work but youtube/Netflix/Hulu are usually ok.  But those do suck the bandwidth so basically every web page you load that happens to have some crap video ad you have to stop it right away.  Takes some getting used to.

Rob L

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2013, 05:43:12 PM »
Thanks for the input core. I'll have to talk with my friend (employee) about planned usage, etc. Presently my company has a cellular mobile hot-spot device that my wife uses while we are traveling in the car (not that much). I've let him use it when we're not. The company is going to ditch it for lack of use and hence the need for a replacement. We can go back through the old usage records and see how much and when. Not a heavy downloader or into on-line gaming that I'm aware of. The mobile hot spot is with Verizon at $70/mo + data limit overages that have been increasing. The over cellular bandwidth hasn't been that great anyway so I'm sure there's a much better solution out there. We'll certainly checkout Hughesnet.