Author Topic: My Visit to Lending Club  (Read 16039 times)

rlv99

• View Profile
    • Email
My Visit to Lending Club
« on: October 15, 2013, 12:22:30 PM »
Every few years or so,  I return to my boyhood home town,which happens to be San Francisco, to revisit those memories.
After spending a week there and with hours to kill beforehand flying off to Dallas,  I thought it would be interesting to visit the place where I wire money every other week or so.
 So, without prior notice, with my russian girlfriend in tow,  we drive to LC.  Well,  I was underwhelmed by my first impression .  Stevenson St. is an alley!  Unlike the picture of the building on their website,  their building is shadowed by taller adjacent buildings.  If their logo is on the building, I couldn't see it!
After checking in with security,  we go to the 3rd floor reception desk where we are warmly greeted.  I  ask to see my
 account rep who comes out to greet us.  This man is an excellent representative for LC. Warm  and friendly, very professional,  he offers to show us around.  The 3rd floor consists mainly of small offices and open cubicles housing investor relations, staffed by 20-30 something mostly.  I was told that the execs were all in NYC for their monthly meeting!  Their conference rooms are named after the credit grades.  While I expected to see DonB's office next to Stefenie's, alas, I saw neither!  Also expected were WANTED posters for core and njg, but they weren't that obvious in my short tour.  Anyway, enjoyed my visit to LC and will not liquidate my account anytime soon.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 09:22:58 AM by rlv99 »

DanB

• A lie told often enough becomes The Truth!
    • View Profile
Re: My Visit to Lending Club
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 01:44:01 PM »
Every few years or so,  I return to my boyhood home town,which happens to be San Francisco, to revisit those memories.
After spending a week there and with hours to kill beforehand flying off to Dallas,  I thought it would be interesting to visit the place where I wire money every other week or so.
 So, without prior notice, with my russian girlfriend in tow,  we drive to LC.  Well,  I was underwhelmed by my first impression .  Stevenson St. is an alley!  Unlike the picture of the building on their website,  their building is shadowed by taller adjacent buildings.  If their logo is on the building, I couldn't see it!
After checking in with security,  we go to the 3rd floor reception desk where we are warmly greeted.  I  ask to see my
 account rep who comes out to greet us.  This man is an excellent representative for LC. Warm  and friendly, very professional,  he offers to show us around.  The 3rd floor consists mainly of small offices and open cubicles housing investor relations, staffed by 20-30 something mostly.  I was told that the execs were all in NYC for their monthly meeting.  Their conference rooms are bamed after the credit grades.  While I expected to see DonB's office next to Stefenie's, alas, I saw neither!  Also expected were WANTED posters for core and njg, but they weren't that obvious in my short tour.  Anyway, enjoyed my visit to LC and will not liquidate my account anytime soon.

Even in jest, your lack of historical perspective is rather astounding. Unless of course you & Core are of the same obsessively & conspiratorial mind, in which case I revise my reaction to never mind  & simply a shrug.  :) BTW, it is DanB, not DonB & Stephanie or possibly Stefanie..............not Stefenie. No, wonder you found no offices. I'm surprised you found LC.

Peter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lend Academy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 02:05:16 PM »
 account rep who comes out to greet us.  This man is an excellent representative for LC. Warm  and friendly, very professional,  he offers to show us around.  The 3rd floor consists mainly of small offices and open cubicles housing investor relations, staffed by 20-30 something mostly.  I was told that the execs were all in NYC for their monthly meeting.  Their conference rooms are bamed after the credit grades.  While I expected to see DonB's office next to Stefenie's, alas, I saw neither!  Also expected were WANTED posters for core and njg, but they weren't that obvious in my short tour.  Anyway, enjoyed my visit to LC and will not liquidate my account anytime soon.

I have visited Lending Club's offices many times and I can confirm that DanB does not maintain an office there.

Just one thing I want to comment on. The picture of the Lending Club building on their About Us page is not of the Stevenson St offices. It is from their old head office in Redwood City where they still maintain a small office as well as naming rights to the building. Their name is not on the Stevenson St building...yet. But by the end of the year they will be one of the largest tenants there with four floors of offices.
Publisher of the Lend Academy blog

See my returns here: http://www.lendacademy.com/returns

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 02:18:26 PM »
If their logo is on the building, I couldn't see it!

It is not customary to have your name on the building when you are not the major tenant.  I'm sure you can imagine how silly and cluttered it would look if there was an exterior logo on each floor of the building.  I see that Peter has already clarified the bit about that other building.  We've been down that road.

I was told that the execs were all in NYC for their monthly meeting. 

That story again?  Hah.  Tell me you didn't buy that one.

While I expected to see DonB's office next to Stefenie's, alas, I saw neither! 

You mean you didn't ask to see her?  Aw you let me down, sir.  When I saw this thread that's the first thing I wanted to know -- what she looks like in person.  You didn't see her office because her throne is likely in the penthouse.  Right next to pit filled with wriggling snakes.

Also expected were WANTED posters for core and njg, but they weren't that obvious in my short tour. 

You just didn't have time for a thorough enough search. If you had time to look, you would have seen "Wanted: core" scribbled on the wall in the ladies room.

Thanks for the trip report.  I somehow expected more.  I will say that I find it odd that seeing a few cubicles and 20-30somethings caused you to decide not to liquidate your account anytime soon.  Seeing a few youngish people sitting in cubes in leased office space says nothing about the safety of one's investments. 

As for your Russian girlfriend, I'm not even going to touch that one.  Don't tell her any of our secrets!  She could be a spy hoping for some pillow talk.  Loose lips sink ships!

DanB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 10:43:55 PM »

I have visited Lending Club's offices many times and I can confirm that DanB does not maintain an office there.

Just one thing I want to comment on. The picture of the Lending Club building on their About Us page is not of the Stevenson St offices. It is from their old head office in Redwood City where they still maintain a small office as well as naming rights to the building. Their name is not on the Stevenson St building...yet. But by the end of the year they will be one of the largest tenants there with four floors of offices.

Thank you Peter. Of course I absolutely deny maintaining an office at LC.

On the other hand, a more conspiratorial mind (among us) might suggest that since Peter is a self proclaimed non investigative reporter, the extent of his investigation into this might have been to arrive at LC & ask them if I had an office there...............to which they responded, no. Then he moved on to looking at all the neat & shiny things labeled "transparency" that LC had laid out specifically for him to examine & report on. :)

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 11:23:28 PM »

That sure is carefully worded.  Peculiarly so.  This could mean that Dan has an office there but keeps it in poor condition.  Or that he works for LC but has a telecommuting position, or an office at another building.  Dan, did they leave you in the Redwood building on a floor all to yourself?  That's what happens to curmudgeons, you know.  I've been there; do not feel bad.

Then he moved on to looking at all the neat & shiny things labeled "transparency" that LC had laid out specifically for him to examine & report on. :)

Heheh now that's a hilarious mental image.  (Note to self: Do not laugh after being kicked in the ribs by a cow that same day.)  But tell me Dan, if LC has such industry friendly journalists under their control, why go through all the expense of yacht cruises and girls tossed in laps?  Or host visits at all?  It seems much cheaper for them to email a pdf with the information.  Maybe even including a pre-written "news" story.

DanB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 11:40:34 PM »

That sure is carefully worded.  Peculiarly so.  This could mean that Dan has an office there but keeps it in poor condition.  Or that he works for LC but has a telecommuting position, or an office at another building. Dan, did they leave you in the Redwood building on a floor all to yourself?  That's what happens to curmudgeons, you know.  I've been there; do not feel bad.

Then he moved on to looking at all the neat & shiny things labeled "transparency" that LC had laid out specifically for him to examine & report on. :)

Heheh now that's a hilarious mental image.  (Note to self: Do not laugh after being kicked in the ribs by a cow that same day.)  But tell me Dan, if LC has such industry friendly journalists under their control, why go through all the expense of yacht cruises and girls tossed in laps?  Or host visits at all?  It seems much cheaper for them to email a pdf with the information.  Maybe even including a pre-written "news" story.

No, it's in the basement of the new building behind a door marked 641A.  :)

Are we back to the whole "yacht" thing ............& the illusion of girls being tossed on laps again? Hey, Peter has the highest level of integrity. He pays his own way. I'm not kidding. Come on, "under their control?" Peter is not under their "control".

Besides, I would have thought that you of all people would know that the best way to manipulate people is to let people believe that they are acting of their own free will.  Hell, I do that to you & NJG every week. :) And yes, I have considered that you may be attempting to do the same to me.

Got to go..........it's soccer time.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 03:15:11 AM by DanB »

rlv99

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 08:59:18 AM »
BTW, it is DanB, not DonB & Stephanie or possibly Stefanie..............not Stefenie. No, wonder you found no offices. I'm surprised you found LC.

Those names are of no great significance to me since they are obviously pseudonyms.  But, you got the message, Dan, whomever!

You didn't see her office because her throne is likely in the penthouse.  Right next to pit filled with wriggling snakes.

I did think about asking, but decided that the image of her that you have painted is probably far more amusing than the real thing.  Why spoil it?   :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 09:20:24 AM by rlv99 »

DanB

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 12:20:29 PM »
BTW, it is DanB, not DonB & Stephanie or possibly Stefanie..............not Stefenie. No, wonder you found no offices. I'm surprised you found LC.

Those names are of no great significance to me since they are obviously pseudonyms.  But, you got the message, Dan, whomever!

You didn't see her office because her throne is likely in the penthouse.  Right next to pit filled with wriggling snakes.

I did think about asking, but decided that the image of her that you have painted is probably far more amusing than the real thing.  Why spoil it?   :)

Actually they're not. There is a Stephanie at LC. My real name is Dan & the first initial of my last name is B. But congratulations. It's not easy making that many mistakes in quick succession.  :)

rawraw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 06:07:46 PM »
HA HA HA HA

DAN B -- Protecting You From Truths You Don't Want to Know

omg I'm dying

Cries

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 09:09:33 PM »
How do I get my own account rep? 

How much do I need to a) invest; and b) complain?

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 11:09:52 PM »
There is a Stephanie at LC.

How do you know this for a fact?  Have you had dealings with her too?  Or do you run into her at the office?  As far as I know, I'm the only one who reported hearing her name mentioned by LC personnel.  But there was talk of this being a made-up code name for "give the caller the brush off".  Granted, with 300something employees, odds are one of them just happens to be named Stephanie.  But if I'm not even sure she exists, and nobody else here has had the guts to publicly admit trying to contact her, I find it very curious that you know she exists.  Give us the straight dope Dan!

It's not easy making that many mistakes in quick succession.  :)

Wow some real zingers in this thread.  That must have been one helluva soccer match?

I have been wondering this for years.  I certainly do not have one, and I doubt I'd be assigned one if my account gradually added a couple zeros at the end.  I would love to know the answer.  All I can say is to have the best chance of getting a personal account rep, do not live in a Folio-only state and try not to get on Stephanie's bad side.

Once you have been assigned an account rep, you must strive to keep the relationship strong and fresh.  Call your account rep every other day with any trivial question you can think up.  If you do not like the interest rates, tell him this on Wednesdays.  If no rate changes have been made recently you can surely find a missing $0.02 in your account to call about.  On Fridays you can call just to remind him that you are depositing $50 each week and by God it's their job to chat with you and keep you happy.  Mondays are good days for long stem roses or unannounced visits.  There are several motels in the area that offer day rates.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 12:25:34 AM »

How do you know this for a fact? 

In LinkedIn, I saw 2 Stephanie's currently at LC.

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 12:54:17 AM »
In LinkedIn, I saw 2 Stephanie's currently at LC.

These are almost certainly fabricated profiles placed there by LC staff to hide her true identity and cause confusion.  The real Stephanie has no doubt taken down her LinkedIn profile to avoid being stalked by all of her "fans" on this board.  I shall await better proof.  Dan seems to know the answer, somehow.

DanB

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 04:19:59 AM »

How do you know this for a fact? Have you had dealings with her too?  Or do you run into her at the office?  As far as I know, I'm the only one who reported hearing her name mentioned by LC personnel.  But there was talk of this being a made-up code name for "give the caller the brush off".  Granted, with 300something employees, odds are one of them just happens to be named Stephanie.  But if I'm not even sure she exists, and nobody else here has had the guts to publicly admit trying to contact her, I find it very curious that you know she exists.  Give us the straight dope Dan!

It's not easy making that many mistakes in quick succession.  :)

Wow some real zingers in this thread.  That must have been one helluva soccer match?

I have been wondering this for years.  I certainly do not have one, and I doubt I'd be assigned one if my account gradually added a couple zeros at the end.  I would love to know the answer.  All I can say is to have the best chance of getting a personal account rep, do not live in a Folio-only state and try not to get on Stephanie's bad side.

Once you have been assigned an account rep, you must strive to keep the relationship strong and fresh.  Call your account rep every other day with any trivial question you can think up.  If you do not like the interest rates, tell him this on Wednesdays.  If no rate changes have been made recently you can surely find a missing $0.02 in your account to call about.  On Fridays you can call just to remind him that you are depositing $50 each week and by God it's their job to chat with you and keep you happy.  Mondays are good days for long stem roses or unannounced visits.  There are several motels in the area that offer day rates.

Core...........Did you not read Peter's post? It's been verified that I don't maintain an office. No, I've never dealt with a Stephanie. Unlike you, I have an acct rep which I've only spoken to once briefly. She asked me something, but it was a World Cup Qualifying day & I wasn't really listening to her. Something about one of my proposals for some nonsense or something trivial I'm sure. Who can keep track?  :)

Also, did you not read Rawraw's post? I wish you'd stop asking these direct questions. I have to balance being completely truthful to you & protecting you from the truth! It's a self imposed heavy burden!  :)

You know I believe Peter doesn't normally allow this, but you should seriously consider asking for a special dispensation to change your screen name from Core to Fox Mulder. It truly suits you.