Author Topic: Pod Cast #3 - Bryce Mason of P2P Picks on Credit Models  (Read 7223 times)

SeattleSun

• View Profile
Pod Cast #3 - Bryce Mason of P2P Picks on Credit Models
« on: December 24, 2013, 08:15:35 PM »

Felt it best to have any discussion of the Pod Cast here as it is more poster friendly than the main web site IMO.

Five Star stuff here IMO, listen to the Pod Cast at link below.

SS

===============================================================================

Bryce Mason of P2P Picks on Credit Models
by Peter Renton on December 23, 2013

I first corresponded with Bryce Mason about two years ago; he reached out to me soon after he developed his credit model for investing in Lending Club. He was one of the first people to do a rigorous statistical analysis of completed Lending Club loans. He produced an interesting chart on default rates that I shared in early 2012. Bryce has also written a couple of guest posts on Lend Academy this year.

He is the founder of the P2P Picks credit modeling site which he describes as “the power of a hedge fund for your p2p portfolio”. In this third session of the Lend Academy Podcast I talked with Bryce about his site, his credit models, where is taking his business and much more.

In this podcast you will learn:

Bryce’s background and how it has enabled him to develop sophisticated investing models.

Why he loved p2p lending when he first heard about it in the very early days of Prosper.

Why he feels more confident about p2p lending than his other investments.

How his approach is different from simple filtering of loans.

What he thinks of external macroeconomic data sources.

Why he believes that P2P Picks is helpful for all individual investors.

How the algorithm adjusts for changes in underwriting policies.

How often he updates his credit model and what changes with each new iteration.

How much of an improvement the P2P Picks credit model gives above the average.

The number of subscribers that are using P2P Picks to invest.

Details of the new P2P Picks API and the honor system he has created.

What Bryce is doing for his institutional clients.

What is coming down the road with P2P Picks in 2014.

When the Prosper model is going to be available.

What P2P Picks has in common with a major rating agency liked Moody’s.

Bryce’s site is P2P-Picks.com and you can sign up there for free today to take advantage of the picks generated by his credit models.

Podcast here:

http://www.lendacademy.com/bryce-mason-p2p-picks-interview/comment-page-1/#comment-26820

rawraw

• View Profile
Re: Pod Cast #3 - Bryce Mason of P2P Picks on Credit Models
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 09:21:12 AM »
I'm sure I wasn't the only one thinking of Core when he discussed the honor system.

Randawl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 11:38:32 AM »
I thought it was a quite enjoyable discussion with quality questions and answers.

Bryce prepared well and it showed.  +1 to you, sir.     :D

Peter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lend Academy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 08:28:22 AM »
SeattleSun, Thanks for posting this here. And thanks for the comments, I agree Bryce did a great job on the podcast.
Publisher of the Lend Academy blog

See my returns here: http://www.lendacademy.com/returns

dontvote

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 04:54:16 PM »
When's the DanB vs Core podcast with drunk NJG chipping in? I think even if you don't post it you should still set it up if only to get it out of their system.
dontvote

Interest Radar IRR: 46.11%
NSR ROI: 41.22%
Average Loan Age: Your Moms

Randawl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 07:10:21 PM »
Strangely, I think I might pay to see/hear a debate between those two, moderated by Peter.  Not much.  Maybe a dollar.  But pay nonetheless.

Keltset

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 12:07:24 AM »
Strangely, I think I might pay to see/hear a debate between those two, moderated by Peter.  Not much.  Maybe a dollar.  But pay nonetheless.

I'm in for a buck

dontvote

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 03:11:28 PM »
Is debate the right word here?
dontvote

Interest Radar IRR: 46.11%
NSR ROI: 41.22%
Average Loan Age: Your Moms

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 03:44:40 PM »
Is debate the right word here?

Yeah, I was kinda wondering what kind of "debate" I would even have with Dan.  I'm trying to think of anything that we've disagreed on...  About the only thing I can think of is:  Should investors all make the same boring returns (socialized investing), or should they be allowed to use all their knowledge (and maybe love for risk) to gain an upper hand when possible, even if it means the extra profit came from other willing investors?  That would be a real short podcast, because how do you defend what is just "right" at such a basic level?  It probably wouldn't be all that entertaining, either.

In fact everything that would make for an interesting podcast couldn't be said.  Either because it was a trade secret or because it would be unfit for children.  I like the idea of getting NJG all liquored up though. 

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 07:27:38 AM »
I'm sure I wasn't the only one thinking of Core when he discussed the honor system.

Thanks, rawraw.  Thanks to you I had to listen to the whole podcast to see if there was some cash to be extracted from someone.  Of course your reference to the honor system wasn't worth much.  This reminds me of the vegas scammers who would call me with "inside information" on ball games and then ask me to pay them a percentage on the honor system after the team won.  Of course, the scammers were making calls for both sides and on the whole they came out ahead afterwards.

But I am glad that you posted that because this is the first podcast I've listened to and I probably wouldn't have done so otherwise.  So thank you for that.

My very first impression whilst listening to the podcast was that Peter has a very pleasant voice and accent.  He sounds more like a radio or game show host, definitely a proper Englishman rather than a marooned convict.

And here's the most striking thing I took away from that recording:  At one point Bryce totally dodged the question and went off on a tangent like a politician.  Now we all know what our "investigative" reporter would do there.  But no, Peter came back and asked him again!  Wow, I was absolutely floored right there.  And then Peter said "Fair enough" when he didn't get an answer to a question.  Now certainly this is not investigative reporting, but it's not exactly reading prepared reports either.  I was impressed.

In fact I was impressed all-around.  Peter, you should either go into radio/TV, or try to do a better job painting us a picture in writing of what really happens when you interview someone (or what happens when they pay you to examine prepared packets).  It was a whole different ballgame listening to you there.  It should not be so.  Readers should feel like they are there, or at least talking to the same person.  You won't call someone out in print but you will on tape, even if very politely.  That is too bad. 

* I am afraid I had to modify my post after a request by a moderator.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 11:52:59 AM by Zach »

New Jersey Guy

• Hell Yea it's a Hemi!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 10:32:04 AM »
When's the DanB vs Core podcast with drunk NJG chipping in?

Ha!  I'm not a drinker so your odds of finding me drunk are pretty darn slim.  Another thing, $1 just won't cut it.  Besides, Dan is going to slip in some clips from his latest movies.  So it that isn't worth an extra 25 or 30 cents, then count me out.
Return over deposits:   66.82%
IRR:   86.54%
As of April 30, 2014

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 11:19:50 AM »
Besides, Dan is going to slip in some clips from his latest movies.  So it that isn't worth an extra 25 or 30 cents, then count me out.

NJG-  I hesitate to even mention this, but videos of Dan's caliber don't work so well on a podcast.  They tend to have the same moaning looped over and over without concern for transitions*.  When was the last time you popped a tape in the VCR?  They generally come with pictures, ya know.

* DanB:  Why is it that European girls always say "Oooooooo" when they're doing whatever?  Not "Aaaah" like American girls.  European chicks it's always "oooooo" as they're p**ing on the picnic table with their little miniature pony or whatever it is that they like to do there.  I turn on the freaking closed captions on the friggin DVD and I see the same "Ooooooo".  What the hell are they, ghosts or something?  Man.  That's always bugged the crap out of me.  Moan in English, please.  Especially if you're on an airplane.  ICAO requires it.

[Edit: I don't mean to derail the thread.  If you have an answer to this life's mystery, please respond in the superheros thread]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 11:21:30 AM by core »

Peter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lend Academy
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 02:46:34 PM »
In fact I was impressed all-around.  Peter, you should either go into radio/TV, or try to do a better job painting us a picture in writing of what really happens when you interview someone (or what happens when they pay you to examine prepared packets).  It was a whole different ballgame listening to you there.  It should not be so.  Readers should feel like they are there, or at least talking to the same person.  You won't call someone out in print but you will on tape, even if very politely.  That is too bad. 

Core, Thanks for the kind words and I agree there is always room for improvement. I have tried to use a consistent style in all that I do but I have clearly failed from your perspective. But your point is taken and I will try to lift my game this year on the blog.
Publisher of the Lend Academy blog

See my returns here: http://www.lendacademy.com/returns