Author Topic: So, I created a ... thing.  (Read 15296 times)

TonySaunders

• View Profile
So, I created a ... thing.
« on: December 30, 2013, 05:15:02 AM »

I deleted the original post I put here and edited the subject. Sorry everyone...

« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 06:18:32 AM by TonySaunders »

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
Re: So, I created a Windows auto-invest-in-lendingclub desktop application.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 06:13:00 AM »
From Terms of Use, right up near the top:

Restrictions on Data Collection/Termination

Without our prior consent, you may not:
  • use any automated means to access this Site or collect any information from the Site (including, without limitation, robots, spiders, scripts or other automatic devices or programs);
  • frame the Site, utilize framing techniques to enclose any Content or other proprietary information, place pop-up windows over this Site's pages, or otherwise affect the display of this Site's pages;
  • engage in the practices of "screen scraping," "database scraping" or any other activity with the purpose of obtaining content or other information; or
  • use this Site in any manner that violates applicable law or that could damage, disable, overburden, or impair this Site or interfere with any other party's use and enjoyment of this Site.

Tony, how did you get around such restrictions?  Do you have a lot of money and a good lawyer?

TonySaunders

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 06:17:28 AM »
From Terms of Use, right up near the top:

Restrictions on Data Collection/Termination

Without our prior consent, you may not:
  • use any automated means to access this Site or collect any information from the Site (including, without limitation, robots, spiders, scripts or other automatic devices or programs);
  • frame the Site, utilize framing techniques to enclose any Content or other proprietary information, place pop-up windows over this Site's pages, or otherwise affect the display of this Site's pages;
  • engage in the practices of "screen scraping," "database scraping" or any other activity with the purpose of obtaining content or other information; or
  • use this Site in any manner that violates applicable law or that could damage, disable, overburden, or impair this Site or interfere with any other party's use and enjoyment of this Site.

Tony, how did you get around such restrictions?  Do you have a lot of money and a good lawyer?

Okay, well, screw it then.

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 06:22:28 AM »

Wrong answer.  It looks like a good tool.

You were supposed to ask how IR, NSR, etc get away with it. 

TonySaunders

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 06:24:14 AM »

Wrong answer.  It looks like a good tool.

You were supposed to ask how IR, NSR, etc get away with it.

I'm going to think it over. I mean... there's no reason I can't release the code for "educational purposes" and "research" if it came to that.

EDIT: But I'm not going to shoot myself in the foot either... who needs competition?

EDIT: Also, providing a software application doesn't violate those terms. USING the software application might, much like using a web browser does. So... hmm. Seriously though, LC has the ability to shut out whatever they want. There would be little that could be done if they decided to do that. Even if such an application appeared to be a typical browser, heuristics could probably still identify users.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 06:36:02 AM by TonySaunders »

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
Re: So, I created a ... thing.
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 06:35:16 AM »
Competition on issued notes may be fierce, but it will not substantially decrease your return.  I mean 15% down to 11% is nothing. Or whatever the numbers would be for you even in the worst case.

If you start asking the right questions you'll find that what your competitors are doing is unlawful as well.  They're sitting pretty collecting subscriber fees while you sit there hiding in the shadows afraid to release anything.  Doesn't that strike you as wrong, on some level?

storm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 07:29:19 AM »
It looked much easier to use than the alternatives I've tried/seen.  At the end of the day, I think it would be very difficult for LC to be able to discriminate between automated tools and real users.

To Peter and Zach, can we do a better job moderating the negativity on this forum?

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 07:44:03 AM »
To Peter and Zach, can we do a better job moderating the negativity on this forum?

What in God's name is that supposed to mean? 

I post the terms that you agreed to when you signed up on LC and suddenly you're all bent out of shape and want to start censorship of forum posts?  And in the very same post you basically admit to using 3rd party "alternatives" which are contrary to the ToS?  Wow.  On both counts.  Moreso about the censorship.  If you don't like something I say then feel free to stand up like a big boy and say so on the merits.

Zach

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 11:50:46 AM »
It looked much easier to use than the alternatives I've tried/seen.  At the end of the day, I think it would be very difficult for LC to be able to discriminate between automated tools and real users.

I try to be on top of moderating as much as possible. Primarily, I'll pull down a post if someone is being personally attacked in the post. For negativity in general - everyone is entitled to be able to express their opinions, and some are more negative than others.

If there's a post that offends you or someone else in any way, I would encourage you to report the post, and I'll happily take a second look.

I hope that helps

rawraw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 01:09:03 PM »
I'm curious what this was.  Perhaps PM is where it belongs?

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 01:37:30 PM »

What you see is what you get, Rawraw.  There have been no modifications to this thread as far as I know.  And I have no clue what the mentally challenged might find wrong with it.

rawraw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 01:39:45 PM »

What you see is what you get, Rawraw.  There have been no modifications to this thread as far as I know.  And I have no clue what the mentally challenged might find wrong with it.
Look at the first post (I deleted the original post I put here and edited the subject. Sorry everyone...)

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 01:58:52 PM »
Look at the first post (I deleted the original post I put here and edited the subject. Sorry everyone...)

Ooops.  Sorry Rawraw I must be mentally challenged.  Tony did change the first post but that only contained nice screen shots and stuff.  Apparently he has since changed his mind about maybe offering anything for download.  That's when storm got all worked up about the "negativity" on this forum, but that is as-posted.  That's all I remember.  Then we all started piling on about mentally challenged people but it's only an insult if the name starts with 'P'.

TonySaunders

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 04:34:50 PM »
Below you can see the original post. But seriously, I have to think about how much effort I want to put into developing something that is compromised by the fact that anyone who is interested in using it might be contractually obligated not to use it.  And it could be easily blocked by LC if it raises their ire for any reason (I've been careful not to create anything that would violate the spirit of the rules, but LC's tolerance probably isn't that simple).

The task of hiding the fact that it is not a legitimate web browser (which I don't even try) is really not so simple. Even with a very high theoretical level of rigor I can conceive of easy ways LC could detect and frustrate the software. There's no way I could ultimately succeed at that cat-and-mouse game if LC were to get serious... and why would I want to? I don't want to be in a position of competing with LC or doing things they don't like.

• It takes 3-ish seconds to automatically invest in all the notes I want during each of the 4 daily "feeding times".
  • It can put the notes into my shopping-cart for my perusal or just buy them outright.
  • It can review/sort all my notes according to credit score changes over time (and other characteristics).
  • You run it on your own machine/Internet connection.

I made it to scratch my own itch but I think it's good enough to share/sell/develop. I want to know how much interest there is in such a tool and get some ideas about what features are most wanted. If it seems like there's enough interest then I'll devise a beta version (that self-destructs) and let everyone try it out free-style and see how it goes.

Here's some screenshots:

rawraw

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 08:41:43 AM »
I think its sick.  Any chance you'd contract with P2P-Picks to pull in their credit rating?  He said in the Podcast he is looking for more partners.  My only concern with all this stuff is security.  I'd run your program in Sandboxie for safe keeping, but the security of log-in credentials would be something above my tech ability.