Author Topic: So, I created a ... thing.  (Read 15295 times)

Peter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lend Academy
    • Email
Re: So, I created a ... thing.
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 10:41:41 AM »
The key words in the terms posted by Core are "without prior consent". If LC agrees you can perform all the automation you like. With all the new services popping up LC wants to make sure that what these services are offering is legal. Tony, I would encourage you to be proactive here and bring LC into the loop. PM me and I will give you some contact info.

And Storm I don't like negativity either but nothing in this thread gave me any cause for concern.
Publisher of the Lend Academy blog

See my returns here: http://www.lendacademy.com/returns

TonySaunders

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 01:26:52 PM »
I think its sick.  Any chance you'd contract with P2P-Picks to pull in their credit rating?  He said in the Podcast he is looking for more partners.  My only concern with all this stuff is security.  I'd run your program in Sandboxie for safe keeping, but the security of log-in credentials would be something above my tech ability.

It uses your login credentials in exactly the same way a web browser would. It's pretty easy to verify that all the connections to LC happen over a secure connection.

If you choose to save your password then it is heavily obfuscated and saved into a local text file. That is probably the least secure behavior it has.

It makes some connections to sites that are not LendingClub:
1) http://www.timeapi.org/utc/now when it starts up to ensure that your system clock is set correctly. (If it isn't set right, that can lead to trouble.)
2) http://tonysaunders.net for various things:
  • http://tonysaunders.net/lcutility/killswitch.txt when it starts up. This is a panic switch I built in, in case something is found to be malfunctioning I can put a message there and the program warns anyone who starts the program and gives them a chance to abort.
  • http://tonysaunders.net at various times to check the "license key". This is currently set to all zeros and always passes, I'll make it "expired" when versions go out-of-date or defunct to prevent/warn people away from using them. (I'd expect to employ a software-as-a-service strategy to encourage people to give me money, not a license key. On that note... maybe ad supported? Are people down with that? You are probably a very desirable demographic.)
  • http://tonysaunders.net to get-from/cache-to a database for credit history information. It turns out that it takes a round trip to LC for every loan you want a credit history for (also, it's really slow). It would be inappropriate to torture their servers with thousands of hits per person multiple times per day, so I created a database system that can be used to cache the data and retrieve the data you want in one round trip. That reduces the maximum hits on LC to one per day, per loan, regardless of how many people use the utility. I'm happy to share the protocol so that people can verify that it's only doing what it says it does.

And with all that info, anyone with the right talents could verify that there are no password-stealing shenanigans, because nobody ever has your password but you.

I'm sure it will change from tonysaunders.net to whatever name the thing eventually gets...

TonySaunders

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 01:37:59 PM »
The key words in the terms posted by Core are "without prior consent". If LC agrees you can perform all the automation you like. With all the new services popping up LC wants to make sure that what these services are offering is legal. Tony, I would encourage you to be proactive here and bring LC into the loop. PM me and I will give you some contact info.

Yeah. I'm still chewing over whether to proceed... It has occurred to me that some features might not be legal (For example... why exactly doesn't anyone else have tools to help review credit history?) So if LC is willing to advise me on that stuff it would be nice. Also, it would be nice to have access to their API... although it might be tricky to utilize it from end-user machines... they might have to authenticate through my server, and people get sketched out by that.

I have The 1st off from work, I'll have another look at it at that time.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 01:42:16 PM by TonySaunders »

Cries

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 02:09:08 PM »
Looks awesome...

I wanna try :(

GS

• View Profile
Re: So, I created a Windows auto-invest-in-lendingclub desktop application.
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2013, 04:06:22 PM »
From Terms of Use, right up near the top:

Restrictions on Data Collection/Termination

Without our prior consent, you may not:
  • use any automated means to access this Site or collect any information from the Site (including, without limitation, robots, spiders, scripts or other automatic devices or programs);
  • frame the Site, utilize framing techniques to enclose any Content or other proprietary information, place pop-up windows over this Site's pages, or otherwise affect the display of this Site's pages;
  • engage in the practices of "screen scraping," "database scraping" or any other activity with the purpose of obtaining content or other information; or
  • use this Site in any manner that violates applicable law or that could damage, disable, overburden, or impair this Site or interfere with any other party's use and enjoyment of this Site.

Tony, how did you get around such restrictions?  Do you have a lot of money and a good lawyer?

Why would LC provide API access if automated approaches are prohibited?  I suppose LC activating API could be viewed as "consent".

Tony,

I'm curious, have you figured out how to add additional custom filters, like (monthly installment / monthly income ) < 0.1, for example?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 04:15:19 PM by GS »

edward

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2013, 05:38:33 PM »
Tony,
In looking at your screen captures, am I interpreting it correctly that you can see the borrower's FICO pre-issue? I think that would be a powerful tool that I've never seen anyone else do. Am I missing something?

TonySaunders

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2013, 05:39:52 PM »
I'm curious, have you figured out how to add additional custom filters, like (monthly installment / monthly income ) < 0.1, for example?

OMG! So easy. I can add pretty much any new filter you can think of and test it in about 10 minutes with high confidence that it will function properly. Anything that can be constructed out of the data that LC exposes. I consider that one of the clear strengths of the design.

EDIT: If by "monthly installment" you mean "The monthly payment owed by the borrower if the loan originates" then yes, that example could be done 10 minutes from now.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 05:43:08 PM by TonySaunders »

TonySaunders

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2013, 05:44:48 PM »
Tony,
In looking at your screen captures, am I interpreting it correctly that you can see the borrower's FICO pre-issue? I think that would be a powerful tool that I've never seen anyone else do. Am I missing something?

The graphs do not show the FICO pre-issue. It shows the FICO as it changes over the lifetime of the loan. If the loan were just issued there would be only one point on the graph.

TonySaunders

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2013, 06:05:19 PM »

Why would LC provide API access if automated approaches are prohibited?

That's a good question for LC, but I can speculate well enough. The web interface is intended to be used by humans with web browsers, not automation. It has automate-able characteristics and automation-toxic vulnerabilities/risks. I can think of many good reasons to restrict automation on the web interface but I presume the main ones are to prevent loading the servers with automated interactions and to prevent negative experiences when poorly-written automation goes haywire, (automatically spend all your money on one G note! Wooo!).

When people say "API" they mean a completely different interface that can be used if LC has given you access. It is intentionally designed for programmatic access and avoids the automation-toxic risks that the web interface has. I'm not sure what criteria LC uses for granting access. (I once wrote a little program that connects to it and gets the "version" information, which is the only thing that works without first being authenticated.)

TonySaunders

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2013, 07:06:37 PM »
I'd run your program in Sandboxie for safe keeping, but the security of log-in credentials would be something above my tech ability.

I just googled Sandboxie. The only thing it saves on your machine is a text file containing your settings/filters/etc in your AppData directory.

GS

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2013, 07:35:51 PM »

Why would LC provide API access if automated approaches are prohibited?

I'm not sure what criteria LC uses for granting access. (I once wrote a little program that connects to it and gets the "version" information, which is the only thing that works without first being authenticated.)

There doesn't appear to be any vetting with API access.  I just sent them an email, they granted access a few days later.

TonySaunders

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2013, 07:59:47 PM »
There doesn't appear to be any vetting with API access.  I just sent them an email, they granted access a few days later.

Neat. I guess I should try the obvious.

rawraw

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2013, 08:26:50 PM »
I'd run your program in Sandboxie for safe keeping, but the security of log-in credentials would be something above my tech ability.

I just googled Sandboxie. The only thing it saves on your machine is a text file containing your settings/filters/etc in your AppData directory.
So this is a web based utility?  And I am interested, as I love this stuff.  I also like the idea of how its flexible to create new filters (the one suggested is one used by many people).  You didn't respond to the P2P-Picks portion though, so wanted to bring it up again :)  I would be interested based on what you've described.  And I'd even be interested in crowd sourcing peer data, as I don't view my loan and performance data highly confidential.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 08:31:42 PM by rawraw »

TonySaunders

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2013, 09:55:34 PM »
So this is a web based utility?  And I am interested, as I love this stuff.  I also like the idea of how its flexible to create new filters (the one suggested is one used by many people).  You didn't respond to the P2P-Picks portion though, so wanted to bring it up again :)  I would be interested based on what you've described.  And I'd even be interested in crowd sourcing peer data, as I don't view my loan and performance data highly confidential.

It is web-based in the sense that it uses http (and bare TCP/IP) to access information. It's not web-based in the sense that it doesn't run in a web browser.

I'd rather prefer to focus on creating a tool that is a utility for managing one's investments than crowd sourcing a database for investing analysis. But since we are all busy accessing data it's hard to ignore the opportunity to collaborate and put it all together for analysis purposes. We are all investing in the same set of loans, there's no reason to single out your own personal performance data.

I don't know much about P2P Picks. I'm happy to collaborate with anyone for everyone's mutual benefit but I don't really have anything to offer yet. The only credit histories in my data are for my own notes. :)

EDIT: Wait wait, I think I misunderstood what you were saying. No, it's not a web application, there is a single executable file that you can put anywhere you wish on your computer and execute it. It's very lightweight. Besides that, the only thing it saves on your machine is that setting file.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 11:41:18 PM by TonySaunders »

viking

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2014, 09:26:55 PM »
From the screenshot it looks like it is possible to buy multiple notes from the same loan in $25 increments (in order to make it easier to sell on FolioFn I presume)?

How do you accomplish this?  Assuming a single LC account and a desire to invest a total of $200/loan, then a $200 basket hold first needs to be released in order to change the amount to $25 and then to place 8 sequential orders. Is this correct?  How long time does each order take, e.g. with 4 loans @ $25 each?

I have tried it myself, and the loan is often fully funded before the last sequential order is completed..