Author Topic: Building an API  (Read 7536 times)

GS

• View Profile
Building an API
« on: January 06, 2014, 02:06:37 PM »
I really had no intention of building an API when I asked LC to activate my API.  But after reading through the Docs they sent, they suggested downloading a program called SOUPUI to test your request/responses.  I was interested, so I gave it try.  After playing around with that, and getting it working with my account, I noticed there was a "generate code" function in the pull down menu of SOUPUI, which spits out a huge VB file (I choose VB, other languages were an option) that seems to have coded all the request/response routines.

Anyway, I don't know if anyone else has gone this route, but if you are interested in programming API, and have programming skills (I have very little), it looks like this will get you about halfway there.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 02:09:16 PM by GS »

gamassey

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Building an API
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 02:42:52 PM »
What is the process to get the API "turned on" for your account?  Can I just send the help desk as email asking for that?

Rob L

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 03:02:58 PM »
But after reading through the Docs they sent, they suggested downloading a program called SOUPUI to test your request/responses.

There's a typo here. The program is soapUI, not SOUPUI (for those who might be interested).
It is easy to use and quite helpful in familiarizing one's self with LC's API protocols.

GS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 08:40:38 PM »
I just emailed LC to get the API activated, no problem.

And yes, it's soap, not soup, my bad.  Rob, did you find the generate code to be helpful as starting point, or would you just start from scratch?

Rob L

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 09:22:29 PM »
I started from scratch; didn't see the code generate option. It was mid-summer last year when I wrote my auto-invest stuff (in C) and soapUI has been updated a few times since then. The code output option may not have been around at that time, or maybe I just missed it.

Peter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lend Academy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 08:35:04 AM »
What is the process to get the API "turned on" for your account?  Can I just send the help desk as email asking for that?

Lending Club is not advertising this service but yes, you can email investor services to request access via the API.
Publisher of the Lend Academy blog

See my returns here: http://www.lendacademy.com/returns

TonySaunders

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 05:30:45 PM »
I'm a professional programmer, and I found the most difficult part was learning how to authenticate. But that difficulty was probably exacerbated by the framework I'm using, so maybe not.

PeerSocialLending

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 04:39:23 PM »
I asked the proper way of going about this and this is what I was told:

Investors interested in gaining access to the API  should contact Lending Club's investor services by emailing investing@lendingclub.com or by calling 888-596-3159.
-Ryan
p2p lending blogger @ www.peersociallending.com

gamassey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 11:21:14 AM »
I sent an email asking for API access, LC called me the next day and I had access the day after.  Very quick and easy

friism

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 12:11:56 PM »
I didn't realize Lending Club had an API until a couple days ago, so I spent a lot of time implementing a client wrapper that automatically logs into and drives the Lending Club web interface. It was a non-trivial amount of work. but does confer some advantages though - it seems LC rate-limits calls to the API (my client is not limited) and more importantly I have access to automatically buy secondary-market folio loans which are not currently part of the API, I think.

There are some open source wrappers that do the same, check out this Python one, for example: https://github.com/jgillick/LendingClub (I haven't tested it, but referred to it extensively when implementing my wrapper).

thinkfastsuit

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 02:59:21 PM »
I'm a professional programmer, and I found the most difficult part was learning how to authenticate. But that difficulty was probably exacerbated by the framework I'm using, so maybe not.

This was my biggest challenge initially as well. I am using Visual Studio 2010 (c#.NET). It was fairly easy to configure the connection and generate code as a web service, but definitely tricky getting the authentication configured initially!

TonySaunders

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 03:10:02 PM »

This was my biggest challenge initially as well. I am using Visual Studio 2010 (c#.NET). It was fairly easy to configure the connection and generate code as a web service, but definitely tricky getting the authentication configured initially!

EXACTLY the same situation as me. I still don't why the framework has to be so complicated. It's just an HTTP request that sends along some XML. Why the hell is it so much trouble to add a bloody header?! I think maybe that WCF is a massive overkill for little SOAP requests and/or isn't really intended to be used this way. Maybe I should take the time to learn more about WCF.

faeriering

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 11:24:14 AM »
GS,

My coding experience is very limited too, but I loved the classes I took in HS and College on it.  your post has me thinking about getting in and building what I want.  I like a lot of the options that are out there (IR, etc), but I'm struggling with them because I'm not really pleased with the flexibility in the filters, or because I'm a little nervous on the security end of things, and they often are still manual endeavors. . . Rev has some awesome custom filters that can be built with mathematical functions, but getting great filters is only useful if you are fast enough to get the notes when they get released.

anyways, thanks for posting about your experience with the API.