Author Topic: "Breaking Change" Regarding API  (Read 2559 times)

Randawl

• View Profile
"Breaking Change" Regarding API
« on: February 05, 2014, 08:02:53 PM »
Attention Lending Club API users,

This is a notification about an upcoming breaking change to the Lending Club API.

Breaking Change

API v1.4 supports the use of an authentication token when invoking an authenticated operation. As noted in the most recent version of the technical overview document, support for the older authentication method has been deprecated and will be removed. On March 5th, the API will no longer support the authentication method (via BASE64 encoded UTF-8 string user@email.com:mypwd).

Going forward, the API will only support the API token which can be accessed via the settings page.

If you are still using the older authentication method, we ask you to please migrate to the API token before March 5th. If you do not migrate to the use of the API token before March 5th, your API requests may result in an error.

Thank you,

Lending Club Investor Services

71 Stevenson St., Ste. 300
San Francisco, CA 94105
www.lendingclub.com
Investor Services  (888) 596-3159
(415) 632-5611 (Fax)

I wonder what other changes they are considering.  Does this mean they are going to give us notice about other changes in the future instead of sneaking things in?

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
Re: "Breaking Change" Regarding API
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 08:16:01 PM »
Does this mean they are going to give us notice about other changes in the future instead of sneaking things in?

No.  The whole point of an API is to be relatively change-proof so they pretty much had to notify everyone ahead of time.  Rest assured that if the next change doesn't involve the API, they will sneak it in as usual.

By the way, what makes you think there were "other changes" planned?  This little issue needed fixed from the beginning.  I don't see anything in that message that leads me to believe it was anything more than fixing one standalone deal.

First time I've heard the phrase "breaking change".  Makes sense though, a change that will break things.  We can call all the rest of their modifications from the past year or so 'sucking changes'.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 08:18:13 PM by core »

Randawl

• View Profile
Re: "Breaking Change" Regarding API
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 08:33:36 PM »
By the way, what makes you think there were "other changes" planned?  This little issue needed fixed from the beginning.  I don't see anything in that message that leads me to believe it was anything more than fixing one standalone deal.

Oh I don't either.  That came across wrong.  Better stated:  I wonder if they are considering other changes.