Poll

How important to you is the ability to automatically list your notes for sale when they meet a certain criteria?

Extremely - selling is fundamentally crucial to my investment strategy
Very - I believe that my strategy would benefit from an automatic selling implementation
Some - Sounds like a neat feature to have
Not much - I don't care either way

Author Topic: How important is automatic selling of your notes?  (Read 5962 times)

BlueVestment

• View Profile
    • Email
How important is automatic selling of your notes?
« on: March 12, 2014, 01:15:11 PM »
I'm trying to gauge the public's interest in automatically listing notes for sale when they meet a specific criteria (such as being 'at risk').

PeerSocialLending

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: How important is automatic selling of your notes?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 03:01:45 PM »
I know I'll probably get some kickback for this one, but I voted that it isn't important and I'll explain. Until I can download/print tax forms at the end of the year and simply ship them off to my accountant to be dealt with -  it doesn't make sense.  At this time, I don't want to track all of this in a spreadsheet. I already have to do plenty of work for my rental and this would further my headaches.  I'm happy with the returns I get with my current strategy.
-Ryan
p2p lending blogger @ www.peersociallending.com

BlueVestment

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 03:25:54 PM »
I know I'll probably get some kickback for this one, but I voted that it isn't important and I'll explain. Until I can download/print tax forms at the end of the year and simply ship them off to my accountant to be dealt with -  it doesn't make sense.  At this time, I don't want to track all of this in a spreadsheet. I already have to do plenty of work for my rental and this would further my headaches.  I'm happy with the returns I get with my current strategy.

I'm with you on the pain. Last year I liquidated some of my taxable Lending Club account in order to put a down payment on my home. I was not happy filling out that 1099-B.

Nathan
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 05:55:32 PM by BlueVestment »

cnmor54

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 05:09:09 PM »
I voted very important. I auto sell all my notes all the time. But I have a hard time paying attention to the late notes. I haven't seen it in action yet but I like the way BlueVestment has at risk notes decreasing in price over time. I don't have the patience to do that myself.

Oh and a big welcome to the forums  ;D

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 06:21:40 PM »
I only sell notes that I purchased from Folio, not notes from LC.

BlueVestment

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 06:24:11 PM »

Any particular reason why?

ggnoob1337

• View Profile
    • Keep Living While Saving
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 06:50:42 PM »

I'm with you on the pain. Last year I liquidated some of my taxable Lending Club account in order to put a down payment on my home. I was not happy filling out that 1099-B.

Nathan

I liquidated about $7,000 of taxable notes last year for a business investment. I was able to take my form from Folio and put that into Excel. I then did a convert from CSV to TXF (http://www.easytxf.com/) and imported that into the software version of TurboTax. Ended up making the process incredibly easy!

To me, automatically selling at risk notes has not yet been important. There's too many times I look at a late note and have a pretty good feeling they will go back to current. Most of the time they do. If the note looks like it won't, I'll list it for sale myself.

However, I do love Interest Radar's way of selling notes. I currently keep 100% of my current/issued notes for sale. Most are listed at an 8% markup and I sell a few a month. Ones with a credit score that has gone down are listed lower. Then I have notes that are duplicates between my 3 accounts listed even cheaper. However, they will all make me a profit if they sell, even after the 1% fee.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 09:26:09 PM »

Let's just say my note-picking algo for Folio is still rudimentary, while the one for LC one has been more time-tested.  I only buy discounted notes on Folio, and then sell them again at a slightly higher price.  Both the buy and sell are done automatically.

The big question (for me) is whether I should consider the risk metrics that I generated for LC note months ago for Folio note purchase now.  For example, how big of influence is, say, a $100K annual income at origination to a note that has become 40-day late on Folio today.  Need more time to analyze.

rawraw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 02:42:24 PM »

Let's just say my note-picking algo for Folio is still rudimentary, while the one for LC one has been more time-tested.  I only buy discounted notes on Folio, and then sell them again at a slightly higher price.  Both the buy and sell are done automatically.

The big question (for me) is whether I should consider the risk metrics that I generated for LC note months ago for Folio note purchase now.  For example, how big of influence is, say, a $100K annual income at origination to a note that has become 40-day late on Folio today.  Need more time to analyze.
You are a super human

thezfunk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 11:18:34 AM »
Is this feature still working or working again?

BlueVestment

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 11:19:37 AM »
Not working at the moment. I'm about to release a new version of the website within about two weeks hopefully. After that, it's getting selling back working.