Author Topic: Anyone catch this job title this morning?  (Read 9858 times)

Booleans

• View Profile
    • Email
Anyone catch this job title this morning?
« on: April 09, 2014, 09:11:44 AM »
I'm generally forgiving of spelling errors, but I just had to laugh at this one. I wouldn't have invested just based off of that job title alone.

https://www.lendingclub.com/browse/loanDetail.action?loan_id=14578021&previous=browse

judicious

Re: Anyone catch this job title this morning?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 09:54:20 AM »
So, they've got decent credit, they pay their bills, have a 10+ year credit history with no recent delinquencies, a not unreasonable DTI, and have asked for enough money to pay their revolving credit balance down to zero...and you care that they misspelled "Baby Sitter"?

So you're saying all the numbers are useless if a person can't spell, but is capable of earning income and paying bills? I thought we were investing to make money. ;)

Lovinglifestyle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 02:17:41 PM »

bobeubanks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 02:33:02 PM »
I found this interesting site:

You must have "safe search" turned on because there are a lot more "interesting" sites than that one if you google bebe siter. :)

Lovinglifestyle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 07:48:41 PM »
Nah--nothing turned off.  Must be because I used DuckDuckGo instead of Google.  But still, I never get anything interesting.  Darn!

Bohb Daishi

• I eat free lunches
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 02:47:04 AM »
I found this interesting site:

You must have "safe search" turned on because there are a lot more "interesting" sites than that one if you google bebe siter. :)

I just Googled it too and didn't get anything "interesting". You must have a very colorful search/browsing history.
There are three ways to make a living in this business: be first, be smarter, or cheat.

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 03:20:51 AM »
I just Googled it too and didn't get anything "interesting". You must have a very colorful search/browsing history.

I think you guys definitely have SafeSearch on.  Because the other day when I saw this post I googled it and got the "interesting" hits right away.  And no, I don't have any colorful search history.  Except for that time I tried to order a severed head.  That would have nothing to do with the sites that showed up in that search though.  There were even some off-color Flash games.  I didn't play them because that seemed just a bit too odd, even for me.  If you find yourself playing a baby sitter computer game you had best seek help right away.

Booleans

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 01:48:56 PM »
So, they've got decent credit, they pay their bills, have a 10+ year credit history with no recent delinquencies, a not unreasonable DTI, and have asked for enough money to pay their revolving credit balance down to zero...and you care that they misspelled "Baby Sitter"?

So you're saying all the numbers are useless if a person can't spell, but is capable of earning income and paying bills? I thought we were investing to make money. ;)

I know you're being slightly facetious, but yes, I would avoid a loan just based on a spelling error. Do loans with horrible spelling errors end up defaulting more often than loans with proper spelling? I would imagine yes, but I don't know. Even so, it just gives me peace of mind I suppose. Nowadays there are plenty of loans out there that pass my filters while still spelling the job title correctly.

And this loan didn't actually pass my screen any way since I require income of at least $5000 per month.

edward

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 03:49:12 PM »
I was going to look at Interest Radar's word score on this loan, but IR shows the loan cancelled. I use IR and do use their word score as a filter. When I remove it, the expected rate of return almost always goes down, so perhaps word scores have some value. Of course now, few borrowers write anything on their application, so not sure if it helps as much. May be more useful on Folio with the older notes where words are still there to score!

yojoakak

• View Profile
    • Check out my Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey script for LendingClub here
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 03:51:45 PM »
I was going to look at Interest Radar's word score on this loan, but IR shows the loan cancelled.

LendingClub shows it 100% funded and "Under Review".

edward

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 03:54:54 PM »
Interesting. Maybe IR interprets "not on listed notes for sale", but "not yet issued" as cancelled. Thanks for pointing that out.

SeanMCA

• View Profile
    • deBanked
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 12:21:02 AM »
If I had a thousand resumés in front of me, the first thing I would do (and have done) is trash all the ones with obvious spelling errors. Why not do the same with loan applications?
I'm a merchant cash advance veteran exploring the p2p lending waters.

bobeubanks

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 02:53:44 AM »
If I had a thousand resumés in front of me, the first thing I would do (and have done) is trash all the ones with obvious spelling errors. Why not do the same with loan applications?

I'm not sure the same reasoning for tossing a resume with misspellings applies to loan applications. The jobs you are filling likely require some level of education and the ability to spell serves as a bit of a proxy for that. But an uneducated person is not necessarily a bad credit risk. It is certainly harder to hold a steady job these days without a decent education, but it is still possible. My grandfather dropped out before high school and became a successful businessman. And his spelling and grammar were pretty bad.

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 02:09:38 PM »
SeanMCA, I understand your angst, but I would never throw away a resume without seeing what she looked like first.  That's just me.

Also in this day & age you're likely to get sued by a blonde with a "disability" that affects her spelling.

Before the internet people didn't need to write so much.  I personally think someone's an idiot if they can't freaking spell one syllable words.  But if I met them in person, and they're 50 years old, you'd be surprised how smart they seem.  Now a 30 year old guy who can't spell insulation when that's what he does?  Now we have a problem (true listing, you guys remember that one).

cnmor54

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 04:22:52 PM »
elitist