Author Topic: Prosper advises users to change their passwords  (Read 4518 times)

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
Prosper advises users to change their passwords
« on: April 23, 2014, 04:35:54 PM »
As most of you know, Prosper isn't one of those companies that tends to send out chatty emails all the time for no reason.  But they did think this was important enough to send out today:

Security of your personal information on the Internet has always been a hot topic, and even more so over the past six months. Here at Prosper we encourage our community members to change their passwords regularly, both on Prosper and for all of your accounts that require a log-in.

We recommend that, if you haven’t done so recently, you change your password on all websites, including Prosper, using a combination of letters (upper and lowercase), numbers and punctuation. It is best to avoid using words or information that would be easily guessed like family members’ names, pets' names, birthdays, etc.

Sure you can spin this and say they're just sending this email out as a public service announcement.  Yeah, just out of the blue.  And like I need Prosper to counsel me on my internet activities in general when it has nothing to do with Prosper?  Hrmph. 

Either there is something behind this email or it was a royal waste of my time to have to read it and delete it.

Fred93

• View Profile
Re: Prosper advises users to change their passwords
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 04:48:53 PM »
I vote for the royal waste of time category.

So many folks are being advised to issue advisories for CYA purposes.

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 04:57:20 PM »

OK, then we can make them feel silly by dragging their name through the mud.  "Prosper's security sucks so much you have to change your password every 6 months".  Why stop there, maybe you should change it every day if the site is that bad.

Well I'm not changing my Prosper password... I'm fond of my existing password since it's my cat's name.  Since they sent out this email, and I disregarded it, does that mean I am suddenly responsible for all my losses if some crook hacks my account and does nasty things with my notes?  I can't see how such a gently worded email does anything in the CYA department.

Bohb Daishi

• I eat free lunches
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 03:03:10 AM »

On the same note, I got this email from HealthCare.gov earlier today:

"Recently, you may have heard about a new internet security weakness, known as Heartbleed, which is impacting some websites. HealthCare.gov uses many layers of protections to secure your information and we’ve recently enhanced our systems to add additional protections. While there’s no indication that the Heartbleed vulnerability has been used against HealthCare.gov or that any personal information has ever been at risk, we have reset consumers’ passwords out of abundance of caution."

Even though the government gave them some $677+ million dollars to build the website, the contractor still decided to use open-source encryption...
There are three ways to make a living in this business: be first, be smarter, or cheat.

neals384

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 01:57:54 PM »
heartbleed is the reason for most recent password change warnings.  I'm changing all of mine.

neals384

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 01:59:51 PM »
Well I'm not changing my Prosper password... I'm fond of my existing password since it's my cat's name.  Since they sent out this email, and I disregarded it, does that mean I am suddenly responsible for all my losses if some crook hacks my account and does nasty things with my notes?  I can't see how such a gently worded email does anything in the CYA department.

Gosh, Core, now all of your friends who know your cat's name can hack your LC account.  Oh, wait.

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 02:05:13 PM »
Oh, wait.

Hehehe good one, neals.  That was actually pretty damn funny. :)   And my password isn't really anybody's name, so you can all stop sending me PM's trying to social engineer it out of me.

Bohb Daishi

• I eat free lunches
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 02:42:13 AM »

Gosh, Core, now all of your friends who know your cat's name can hack your LC account.  Oh, wait.

Why do I keep thinking that, if Core were to change his password, it would involve killing his cat and getting a new one?

What if his cat had kittens? Would it then be "cuddles1", "cuddles2", and/or "cuddles3"?
There are three ways to make a living in this business: be first, be smarter, or cheat.

rawraw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 07:12:24 PM »
heartbleed is the reason for most recent password change warnings.  I'm changing all of mine.
Hopefully you are changing them on financial websites to be independent of each other.  That and 2 factor authentication should be the takeaways of Heartbleed