Author Topic: Automate Note Buying on Folio?  (Read 5662 times)

paisano

• View Profile
    • Email
Automate Note Buying on Folio?
« on: September 20, 2014, 12:58:00 PM »
I have some basic search criteria to buy notes on Folio and have generated some returns I am happy with.   Nonetheless, I find myself having to log in a couple of times a day to catch good notes.   Has anyone had success creating a way to automate the buying?

I have a couple of extra computers (both Mac and PC) that I could let run all day refreshing the search.  Have been thinking about macros in Excel or Mac Automator or similar but have not experimented enough to verify they would work.

Other ideas?

PeerSocialLending

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Automate Note Buying on Folio?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 09:17:46 PM »
It's against the terms (perhaps why you haven't received any responses) and they might yell at you, but certainly folks are doing this.  I would imagine most people are running something a little more sophisticated than what you mention using. 
-Ryan
p2p lending blogger @ www.peersociallending.com

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 09:47:01 AM »
I have a couple of extra computers (both Mac and PC) that I could let run all day refreshing the search.

One computer would be more than enough.  The fact that you offered this as a possible solution tells me you may not understand what your IP addresses look like once they leave your house.  Which is fine, but you have to understand that this game is not about CPU power.

You run two computers 24/7 from your home network and you're going to get flagged as a bot-running witch.  Hell, you may get flagged even if you sit there and hit F5 a few hours a day by yourself on ONE computer.  They don't need proof, they don't need to explain, they don't need to tell you the limits, you have no recourse, innocents die too.  I guess they treat it as collateral damage.  You are going to get nailed unless you use countermeasures.   Maybe you'll get nailed anyway.  They can pretty much do whatever they want for any reason they MAKE UP.

Have been thinking about macros in Excel or Mac Automator or similar but have not experimented enough to verify they would work.

I got my start in programming by working as a coffee-toting secretary in a tire factory.  My official job was to enter a few silly numbers in a spreadsheet every day at 7am sharp and print off some charts for the boss's daily meeting.  Soon after I got hired, I discovered that I had no interest in being there on time.  It's quite hard to wake up at 6am and go to work with a hangover after being out with womens the night before.  So I wrote Excel macros to automate the fetching of numbers from the mainframe (no small feat, this was way before TCP was everywhere) and to spit out the charts on the printer.  Boss was still not happy.  He wanted a smiling face there.  Again, I wasn't interested, so made up for it with more neat stuff.  By the time I got fired I had automated a good portion of that plant using Excel macros, including Dr. Sbaitso voice annunciations everywhere when tire machines broke, and only switched over to C++ when I had been tasked to spit out barcodes for the rubber extruder and also native code for the wireless inventory scanners.  If it weren't for those two items I probably would have continued to see every problem as a nail, since I knew my hammer so well.

I tell you that story only to be able to tell you this:

Excel is TOTALLY not up to the job.  Do not even attempt it.  I'm not saying it's not possible.  I'm just saying don't do it.  For one, I'm not sure how Excel would handle the necessary cookies.  I honestly haven't touched Excel in quite some time so I'm no longer an Excel expert, but I have happened across reading.  Even if you could do it, it's just silly.  Pick a language (it doesn't even have to be a "real" one, try PHP first), and learn it well enough to log in to LC.  You will then find that buying notes on Folio is only marginally harder than fetching any other page.  And it goes on from there.  I'm at 27k lines of code just for the daemon itself.  Plus the web-based control code.  Then you are going to have to become well-versed in the countermeasures I mentioned.  It's a cat-and-mouse game and you better be up for it before you even start.  Even though the cats are idiots, the mice still can't kick back and eat their cheese.

Whatever you do (and this goes for everyone), do not hire some code monkey to write you something.  LendingClub makes one small change and your stuff is broken.  Now you are whining to the guy that wrote it for you, saying "I'm losing money every day this is down!".  Well that guy is now working on another project and doesn't have the time, or he's on holiday for Rab-Hashiim-Bobamajob and the $1000 you paid him doesn't amount for squat of on-call time.  Everything's always an emergency.  Except the pay.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 10:13:18 AM by core »

Joleran

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 03:22:05 PM »
So I wrote Excel macros to automate the fetching of numbers from the mainframe (no small feat, this was way before TCP was everywhere) and to spit out the charts on the printer.

Out of curiosity, what are you smoking these days?  Lately you seem to be taking your insanity shtick a bit too far. Anyways, TCP was around 20 years before Excel with graphs and macros was created.

yojoakak

• View Profile
    • Check out my Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey script for LendingClub here
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 05:19:30 PM »
Anyways, TCP was around 20 years before Excel with graphs and macros was created.

If it was a Windows shop they could have still been stuck using LAN Manager until the late 90's (or beyond.)

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 11:04:06 PM »
Out of curiosity, what are you smoking these days?  Lately you seem to be taking your insanity shtick a bit too far. Anyways, TCP was around 20 years before Excel with graphs and macros was created.

My my, Joleran, such abrasiveness!  (Including your last one about me not being a competent programmer for being caught in the witch hunt.)  Last time I caught this much flack was from a womens I was dating.  Is your profile correct?  Curious how you know so much about shticks?

Please tell me you're not still sore about the time I let on that there was an exploit and you complained about it.  Then when I generously gave you the secret, you still screwed it up.  That was nearly a year ago, man.

As for the substance of your reply...

I did not make reference to when TCP was invented (I'm sure it was nearly the same time as IP but I couldn't say for sure and I'm not going to look it up).  The words I used were:  "before TCP was everywhere".  The story I related was from the early-to-mid 90's.  And yes, in that plant we were running Novell something-or-other.  What else was there for desktops which needed to communicate?

All I know is in order to contact the mainframes back then at the tire plant I had to go through a bunch of crap.  Crap which didn't outwardly seem to involve TCP, and I certainly didn't have the protections of it at the time (TCP retries probably would have saved me from being fired, at least for a while).  But yes, it's possible I was mistaken on a technical level when I made the post.  If that's the worst thing you can say about that story, I guess that's not so bad.

Regarding the smoking, I don't touch the stuff.  I hear they've recently legalized things in Colorado so maybe a certain blog owner could set you up.

Joleran

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 10:20:15 PM »
Regarding the smoking, I don't touch the stuff.

You should start then!  It makes dealing with LC shenanigans much more tolerable.