Author Topic: Lending Club IPO for retail investors  (Read 12166 times)

DanB

• A lie told often enough becomes The Truth!
    • View Profile
Re: Lending Club IPO for retail investors
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 01:34:51 AM »
Core.......... Not that it's a massively big loss in any case, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Folio only investors are not eligible to participate. You're correct in pointing out that the way they have it laid out confines a Folio only investors relationship to Folio..............from who you buy/sell the notes through to who you pay.

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 01:42:49 AM »
Core.......... Not that it's a massively big loss in any case, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Folio only investors are not eligible to participate.

1. Dan, it is a big loss if investors from "important" states like mine are not allowed to participate, even though we have been members from the beginning.
2. Why was our favorite journo not more clear?  I thought journo school taught the 5 W's.  Peter has apparently forgotten the 'What' and 'Who'.  3/5 is a fail where I come from.  In San Francisco I understand they don't keep score to avoid offending the girly people who can't perform and don't want a soccer match to be a real "match".  Colorado, I can't speak for.  They probably have their hands full with pharma right now.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 01:46:18 AM by core »

DanB

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2014, 06:07:29 AM »
Core.......... Not that it's a massively big loss in any case, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Folio only investors are not eligible to participate.

1. Dan, it is a big loss if investors from "important" states like mine are not allowed to participate, even though we have been members from the beginning.
2. Why was our favorite journo not more clear?  I thought journo school taught the 5 W's.  Peter has apparently forgotten the 'What' and 'Who'.  3/5 is a fail where I come from.  In San Francisco I understand they don't keep score to avoid offending the girly people who can't perform and don't want a soccer match to be a real "match".  Colorado, I can't speak for.  They probably have their hands full with pharma right now.

I'm just saying I won't be surprised.............& from the way it sounds I'm guessing that it's not a big deal because it might be a hassle to get in on (in a significant way) even if you are eligible. I don;t think it'd be fair IF you guys are excluded, but seriously Core, I wouldn't go overboard with the "important" state spiel. All the rest of the country expects from your "important" state is that you provide us food periodically & that every 4 years you guys do a little bit of vetting so that we don't get stuck with incompetents or wackos in the White House. Look what we've ended up with. I'm sorry but your states track record these past few decades makes it difficult for me to champion the whole important state thing. :)

turing

• View Profile
    • PeerToPeerQuant.com
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2014, 01:42:37 PM »
All the rest of the country expects from your "important" state is that you provide us food periodically & that every 4 years you guys do a little bit of vetting so that we don't get stuck with incompetents or wackos in the White House. Look what we've ended up with. I'm sorry but your states track record these past few decades makes it difficult for me to champion the whole important state thing. :)

Loved this comment.  Laughed out loud at several points.

DanB

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2014, 06:29:54 PM »
All the rest of the country expects from your "important" state is that you provide us food periodically & that every 4 years you guys do a little bit of vetting so that we don't get stuck with incompetents or wackos in the White House. Look what we've ended up with. I'm sorry but your states track record these past few decades makes it difficult for me to champion the whole important state thing. :)

Loved this comment.  Laughed out loud at several points.

Glad you enjoyed it. That one's been in my back pocket for months awaiting deployment.

mo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2014, 10:07:46 PM »
I just saw Peter's article saying Lending Club gave "no comment" when asked about more details.

I might be interested in buying shares but I'm definitely not getting excited with no news about how it will work.  It could be a crazy Hunger Games style lottery for all we know.

If there is more interest than there are shares to go around I wouldn't be surprised if they gave people with the largest accounts first dibs just like stock brokerages do.  Either that or they will just raise the IPO price.

bobeubanks

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2014, 11:19:13 PM »
If there is more interest than there are shares to go around I wouldn't be surprised if they gave people with the largest accounts first dibs just like stock brokerages do.  Either that or they will just raise the IPO price.

LC investor demand will play no bearing on the IPO price. Shares reserved to the LC investors will be noise in the game. The big boys wouldn't let high demand from LC investors change the IPO price.

AnilG

• View Profile
    • PeerCube
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 02:16:42 AM »
IPO Offering Price is decided based on demand for the shares. Typically, a company will put out an initial price range and revise upward/downward depending on investor interest. Facebook and Alibaba are good examples of IPOs where offering price was significantly raised after high investor demand.

I am dubious of LC's "good intentions" of rewarding retail lenders with shares at IPO offering price considering original S-1 didn't mention anything. It most probably has more to do with soft investor demand for LC shares that led LC and underwriters to include such "good intentions" in revised S-1.

LC investor demand will play no bearing on the IPO price. Shares reserved to the LC investors will be noise in the game. The big boys wouldn't let high demand from LC investors change the IPO price.
---
Anil Gupta
PeerCube Thoughts blog https://www.peercube.com/blog
PeerCube https://www.peercube.com

turing

• View Profile
    • PeerToPeerQuant.com
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2014, 11:07:09 AM »
I am dubious of LC's "good intentions" of rewarding retail lenders with shares at IPO offering price considering original S-1 didn't mention anything. It most probably has more to do with soft investor demand for LC shares that led LC and underwriters to include such "good intentions" in revised S-1.

Very good point.  LC is probably not being altruistic and had a change of heart.  There is a reason for it and soft investor demand could be it.

Fred93

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2014, 02:14:20 PM »
I suspect that when they finally fill in the number, the allocation to customers will be something like 1%.

There is no way in hell that such an allocation could be a solution for "soft demand", so I believe this theory will be nixed immediately when the number is filled in.