Author Topic: Exciting news for Prosper tomorrow?  (Read 11471 times)

PeerSocialLending

• View Profile
    • Email
Exciting news for Prosper tomorrow?
« on: October 26, 2014, 09:36:37 PM »
Just hopped on twitter and saw tweets from Ron Suber/Prosper that Prosper is going to release 'exciting news' tomorrow.  Any guesses? Filing to go public?
-Ryan
p2p lending blogger @ www.peersociallending.com

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting news for Prosper tomorrow?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 10:05:15 PM »
I would guess not an IPO announcement.  Timing would be a little odd perhaps.

Keep in mind his idea of "exciting news" may be different than the rest of the planet's.  For example from last year, "Exciting news for Prosper Marketplace today! We are very happy to announce BlackRock as a backer."  Big whoop.

What would be truly exciting is if they announced that they were entering the insurance business.  Someone wants auto insurance, they go to Prosper.  We get to quiz the person on how much they drink when they drive, if they put on lipstick whilst on the freeway, and other important issues.  Then the marketplace decides if this person is insurable.  That would be rather cool, and genuinely exciting.

DanB

• A lie told often enough becomes The Truth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 11:14:52 PM »
I would guess not an IPO announcement.  Timing would be a little odd perhaps.

Keep in mind his idea of "exciting news" may be different than the rest of the planet's.  For example from last year, "Exciting news for Prosper Marketplace today! We are very happy to announce BlackRock as a backer."  Big whoop.

What would be truly exciting is if they announced that they were entering the insurance business.  Someone wants auto insurance, they go to Prosper.  We get to quiz the person on how much they drink when they drive, if they put on lipstick whilst on the freeway, and other important issues.  Then the marketplace decides if this person is insurable.  That would be rather cool, and genuinely exciting.

No, no. What's going to keep them from lying to us?  Wouldn't you want the option to see what they do while they drive? To see what they're doing in the house before they get in their car? In order to better assess risk of course. :)
Of course all the above would not be required of all applicants...............only a select group.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 11:16:31 PM by DanB »

Fred93

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 02:15:08 AM »
Wouldn't you want the option to see what they do while they drive? To see what they're doing in the house before they get in their car? In order to better assess risk of course. :)
Of course all the above would not be required of all applicants...............only a select group.

This product will sell.

Prescott

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 02:31:29 AM »
What would be truly exciting is if they announced that they were entering the insurance business. 

Tears to my eyes, Core, thanks buddy.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 02:44:13 AM by Prescott »

Kombinator

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 09:34:02 AM »
Suber actually did talk about insurance as the next possible product, but way down the road. Likely a new partner, maybe some API improvements (although unlikely) or functionality, pwerhaps finally a working Folio marketplace that is usable...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 11:14:25 AM by Kombinator »

Victor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 10:34:38 AM »
Perhaps they're announcing a new nationwide radio ad campaign.

I only mention this because, for the first time yesterday, I heard an ad for Prosper on a local FM station on a nationally syndicated show: Handel on the Law.  The ad was directed to borrowers and provided the following link: propser.com/handel

Of course this can't be the exciting news.

bobeubanks

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 11:11:39 AM »
Considering they have found NOTHING to blog about since June, I think the bar is pretty low for what constitutes exciting.

Prescott

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 11:50:44 AM »
My votes on a new hire.

Prescott

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 11:51:50 AM »
I guess 2B is the news on their blog?

bobeubanks

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 12:37:03 PM »
I guess 2B is the news on their blog?

But there is a photo/video contest too! I'm all atwitter!

Core should enter his LC flag conspiracy photos.

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 01:04:13 PM »
"Prosper is Now $2 Billion Strong"?  That's the big 'exciting' news??  This was worse than Geraldo opening up Al Capone's vault.

I even set my alarm for this 'exciting news', and Cores do not like to get up before noon.  All night I was entertained by pleasant thoughts of Prosper Insurance and risk-monitoring live webcams.  But no, they come across with absolutely nothing exciting this morning.  What a letdown.  Heads should roll over there.  (Forum participants who are also ISIS members should not take this literally.)

Randawl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 02:16:39 PM »
And it was all thanks to you, The Prosper Community!

If by "The Prosper Community" they mean the banks, insurance companies, and other institutional investors that funded 90.8% of all new loans in September?  The same entities that Prosper and LC were supposedly "disrupting"?   Such unabashed spin. . .

Prescott

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 04:13:00 PM »
If by "The Prosper Community" they mean the banks, insurance companies, and other institutional investors that funded 90.8%

That's low - remember, they have a bunch of institutional players in the fractional pool too - I put them at like 95% by my rough guess.

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 07:50:49 PM »
I only mention this because, for the first time yesterday, I heard an ad for Prosper on a local FM station on a nationally syndicated show: Handel on the Law.  The ad was directed to borrowers and provided the following link: propser.com/handel

I also heard a new ad today on local FM, national show.  prosper.com/levin (Mark Levin show).  Clearly they are targeting conservatives.  I'm not sure this is wise... I thought it was the liberals who liked to borrow and spend other people's money.  Also isn't it funny how Prosper/LC always start running radio ads when there's some kind of disaster.  This time it's ebola coverage they're after, I'm sure.

Something else which is a bit odd:  After publicly making fun of Prosper's definition of "exciting news", today I get a phone call from Prosper.  Telling me that my bots' trading activities are making their squirrel powered servers overheat or something.  They nicely asked me to take it a bit easier.  Now that's exactly how it should be, not being booted from the site or locking accounts like Lending Club likes to do.  Keep in mind I hardly touch Prosper, making a low 40% return if not lower, and I haven't added/changed anything in a good 3 years.  Suddenly today everything's not kosher.  The timing seems suspect.