Author Topic: Exciting news for Prosper tomorrow?  (Read 11470 times)

Lovinglifestyle

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Exciting news for Prosper tomorrow?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 08:49:20 PM »
I only mention this because, for the first time yesterday, I heard an ad for Prosper on a local FM station on a nationally syndicated show: Handel on the Law.  The ad was directed to borrowers and provided the following link: propser.com/handel

I also heard a new ad today on local FM, national show.  prosper.com/levin (Mark Levin show).  Clearly they are targeting conservatives.  I'm not sure this is wise... I thought it was the liberals who liked to borrow and spend other people's money.  Also isn't it funny how Prosper/LC always start running radio ads when there's some kind of disaster.  This time it's ebola coverage they're after, I'm sure.

Something else which is a bit odd:  After publicly making fun of Prosper's definition of "exciting news", today I get a phone call from Prosper.  Telling me that my bots' trading activities are making their squirrel powered servers overheat or something.  They nicely asked me to take it a bit easier.  Now that's exactly how it should be, not being booted from the site or locking accounts like Lending Club likes to do.  Keep in mind I hardly touch Prosper, making a low 40% return if not lower, and I haven't added/changed anything in a good 3 years.  Suddenly today everything's not kosher.  The timing seems suspect. 

Fascinating.  Thanks for sharing, and I really enjoyed your posts today--as always.

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 02:15:20 AM »
Fascinating.  Thanks for sharing, and I really enjoyed your posts today--as always.

Thank you, thank you very much.  The number of people on this forum that appreciate my abrasive posts can be counted on one hand.  One hand that has been caught in a farm combine accident and has had several of its fingers ripped off. 

Which is not as rare as you might think, I might add.  Just the other day I had a neighbor come over and ask if he could help me get my tractor out of the mud.  I shook his hand.  It was only then that I realized that there was only half a hand there.  Now placed in that situation, you can't just scream "aaaahhhh!!!!".  No you can't do that.  No, you have to pretend his hand feels perfectly fine.  "Hey, swell hand there!".  "Give me two, brother!"  Apologies to George Carlin for stealing a couple lines, but it really does happen around here.  I never ask how/why.

Now where was I... oh yes:  If history is indication, there will be some questions about what kind of hit volume I was doing before I was asked to cut it out.

1. Search #1 runs once every 2 minutes and usually nets no more than 5 results
2. Search #2 also runs once every 2 minutes, yields a different 5 results usually.
     There is no programmed stagger between these two, but in practice they diverge over time.
3. Full notes download every 30 minutes.   This process takes 1-3 minutes.

Timing was not changed once in 3 years.  I am not even bothering to use proxies on Prosper; it was never necessary.  Only 1 thread.  Suddenly today I'm in trouble after all this time.

Maybe I've been exposed to too many harsh farm chemicals and social diseases carried by our 4-legged friends, but in my world of automation, one search every 2 minutes is WAY slow.  I would have all kinds of conspiracy theories at the ready, except for the fact that the guy was waaay too nice.  It's possible they were just giving me a poke to warn me about my posts here.  Who knows.

Prescott

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 04:01:52 AM »
That seems awfully low for them to ask you to cut down, you wouldn't really even show up on the reports..

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 04:31:22 AM »
That seems awfully low for them to ask you to cut down, you wouldn't really even show up on the reports..

I agree that it seems awfully slow.  But he started to say if I would cut it down by xx% I'd still be "way" over what "anyone else" was doing, and then he broke out in a chuckle.  Then in the next sentence he said he didn't get many details from the developers.  Non sequitur.

I find his chuckle and associated statement hard to believe.  There are people that hit reload way faster than that for 8 hours at a clip.  At the time of the phone call I had not looked at the code in 3 years so I was going under the assumption that my daemon was hitting constantly.  It was only later when I went to implement the requested changes that I discovered that there was a 2 minute delay all along.  Otherwise I would have challenged him right there on the phone.  I'm honestly clueless.  And no, folks, there is no chance of an undetected busy-loop or anything like that.

Prescott

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2014, 12:31:41 PM »
Are you playing the second market? 3 years suggest not the API.

The whole trading system is built with duck tape - somewhere, if they can find it, they have a nice prototype API that they could clean up, test and publish.

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2014, 07:17:14 PM »
Are you playing the second market?

Yes.  There aren't enough loans on Prosper's primary side to play with.  And I'm not interested in a 15% return.  If I wanted that I would just buy-and-hold at LC and not bother with Prosper's screwy system.

The whole trading system is built with duck tape - somewhere, if they can find it, they have a nice prototype API that they could clean up, test and publish.

Duct tape usually works.  Prosper's trading system does not.  It is BADLY broken.  In order to access my own notes the day after the purchases settle, I have to actually brute force the note IDs because otherwise they are just 'missing' for up to a week.  Come to think of it, maybe it's this brute forcing activity that they didn't like.  A nontechnical account rep wouldn't know the difference to be able to communicate that to me.  There are numerous other serious issues with the platform that make it virtually unusable unless you are a very infrequent user and don't care about what your account totals say.

Breaking news just in the last 5 mins: NASA rocket explodes on liftoff.  Too bad NASA TV doesn't sell ads, because Prosper's marketing department would be all over that.  Or perhaps not.  They seem to like lots of deaths/bodies, something that's missing from this incident.