Author Topic: Gathering experts' opinion about the future of peer lending  (Read 9856 times)

Emmanuel

• View Profile
    • LendingRobot
Gathering experts' opinion about the future of peer lending
« on: October 30, 2014, 03:00:46 PM »
We plan to orchestrate a survey amongst a few experts and major players in the peer lending space on the theme 'where will peer lending be 10 years from now'

Some topics will be 'retail vs institutional', major changes to come, impact of a stock market crash.

Does anyone has some question in mind they'd like to submit?

rawraw

• View Profile
Re: Gathering experts' opinion about the future of peer lending
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 07:02:06 PM »
Will LC continue to release loans at only 4 times a day?

thezfunk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 01:03:38 PM »
How about some sort of universal market place for secondary trading of notes from different platforms?

Emmanuel

• View Profile
    • LendingRobot
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 06:46:53 PM »
How about some sort of universal market place for secondary trading of notes from different platforms?

Now you're preaching to the choir! We're probably too biased to ask that question (hint: http://www.lendingrobotexchange.com/)

PeerSocialLending

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 11:45:43 AM »
I'd like to hear some thoughts on how they expect retail investors to get access to this asset class in the future.  Will folks like those on this forum simply be in the minority of trying to squeeze out better returns than funds full of notes?  Somewhat similar to buying your own real estate vs buying a REIT fund.

Looking forward to hearing more Emmanuel :)
-Ryan
p2p lending blogger @ www.peersociallending.com

rawraw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 04:37:28 PM »
I'd like to hear some thoughts on how they expect retail investors to get access to this asset class in the future.  Will folks like those on this forum simply be in the minority of trying to squeeze out better returns than funds full of notes?  Somewhat similar to buying your own real estate vs buying a REIT fund.

How do retail people buy stocks and bonds with the massive amounts of institutional money in the space?

PeerSocialLending

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 04:46:36 PM »

How do retail people buy stocks and bonds with the massive amounts of institutional money in the space?

Sorry I wasn't more clear. I'm interested in a discussion of how many people they expect to access this asset class in a fund vs through the platforms directly. It seems like accessing 'p2p' via funds could make up a majority at least as far as retail investors are concerned. I'm aware of the literal 'how' of buying a fund.
-Ryan
p2p lending blogger @ www.peersociallending.com

Fred93

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 05:14:07 PM »
Sorry I wasn't more clear. I'm interested in a discussion of how many people they expect to access this asset class in a fund vs through the platforms directly. It seems like accessing 'p2p' via funds could make up a majority at least as far as retail investors are concerned. I'm aware of the literal 'how' of buying a fund.

I think what rawraw was trying to say is that even tho most of the trading on wall street is institutional (ie comes thru middlemen, mutual funds, hedge funds, advisors, etc) the common man still has ample opportunity to buy and sell individual stocks & bonds directly.  Therefore, just because a lot of money is coming thru intermediaries doesn't mean individuals will necessarily be crowded out.

I think the presence of the intermediaries is hilarious.  This industry is based on the notion of disintermediation of banks.  So what happens?  A bunch of intermediaries of different kinds pop up and try to shave their piece off of the returns!  There are various "funds" investing in P2P loans taking their 1% or whatever (extremely high if you ask me), and there are even middlemen who help institutional investors who don't have enough knowledge to do it themselves.  These are middlemen for the middlemen!  Orchard Platform has this business model.  If you want to start a hedge fund to invest in P2P, but you don't know beans about P2P, you just let Orchard tell you what to do and automate it as well.  That is both outrageous and hilarious.  The enablement of a bunch of guys in New York who know nothing is just classic.

rawraw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 07:09:14 PM »

+1

Emmanuel

• View Profile
    • LendingRobot
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 02:38:48 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.
The whole 'retail vs institutional' topic is indeed a pretty important one!

rawraw

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 03:33:55 PM »
I meant to +1 Fred93's reply.  But I must've clicked the wrong box on my phone.  The retail vs big guy stuff gets old after a while IMO.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 10:37:04 PM »
These are middlemen for the middlemen!  Orchard Platform has this business model.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if these middlemen are profitable (i.e., revenues > costs)?

If we are talking about 2%-20% style of hedge fund fees, it would require $10M AUM @ 12% ROI to generate enough money to support a 2-person team.

brycemason

• View Profile
    • P2P-Picks.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 09:25:24 AM »
I'm profitable :). Three paying clients, and I keep my expenses super low.

I'd like to see a question about the desirability or importance of third party ratings on credit quality. A uniform approach, from Moody's or S&P or that ilk.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 09:43:36 AM by brycemason »

rawraw

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 10:06:29 AM »
I'm profitable :). Three paying clients, and I keep my expenses super low.

I'd like to see a question about the desirability or importance of third party ratings on credit quality. A uniform approach, from Moody's or S&P or that ilk.
But are you running the fund?  Independent credit quality is really important IMO

AnilG

• View Profile
    • PeerCube
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 03:34:22 AM »
The P2P institutional fixed income funds, I work with, have AUM much higher. Also, they are not targeting double-digit returns, mostly mid to high-singles.

Orchard is very active with order management for institutional funds. But Orchard's end game is to create a secondary marketplace like FOLIOfn for institutional investors. They recently raised $12M of VC money. So, I don't expect them to be cash flow positive. There seems to be lot of activity in creating secondary marketplace for institutions as there is none right now. I am aware of at least 3 startups trying to target this segment.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if these middlemen are profitable (i.e., revenues > costs)?

If we are talking about 2%-20% style of hedge fund fees, it would require $10M AUM @ 12% ROI to generate enough money to support a 2-person team.
---
Anil Gupta
PeerCube Thoughts blog https://www.peercube.com/blog
PeerCube https://www.peercube.com