Author Topic: $800M or so IPO money gonna be burnin' a hole in their pocket  (Read 9053 times)

Fred93

• View Profile
$800M or so IPO money gonna be burnin' a hole in their pocket
« on: December 11, 2014, 02:37:14 PM »
After paying the investment bankers fees LendingClub should clear about $800M from the IPO.

Money like that has a tendency to burn a hole in one's pocket.  I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that they will be buying some companies.  Which companies do you think they'll buy?

This is always a dangerous time.  These guys are clearly great at building what they've built, but that doesn't mean they will be great at selecting and integrating other companies.

Prosper?
Funding Circle?
P2P companies from other countries (of which there are many)?
Fred's Used Cars?

hoggy1

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: $800M or so IPO money gonna be burnin' a hole in their pocket
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 03:26:43 PM »
Sorry Fred, they'll go straight to the new car lot: Realty Mogul and Microventures are my guesses.
Steve

bobeubanks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 03:36:12 PM »
A2Z Big Loans

Fred93

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 03:48:46 PM »
Sorry Fred, they'll go straight to the new car lot: Realty Mogul and Microventures are my guesses.

I tried to work with RealtyMogul, and I decided that their legal agreements were really quite poorly done.  Details of the deals were missing, and they expected me to think it was ok, 'cause those details were on the web site.  Silly me, I expected the details of how we were going to share profits etc to be in actual legal documents we signed.  Would I tell the court later to go look at their web page, or that page that usta be there on the web site, but isn't now?  They agreed, and their fix was to make pdfs of the web pages in question that I could download.  I was astounded.  Decided they were rank amateurs who had no business doin' this stuff.  No real lawyer would have agreed to this.

Of course, they may have improved their operation since I looked in on them.

RealtyMogul crafts a different deal for every borrower.  Equity/debt/profit sharing/hurdle rates/special provisions/etc.  That won't scale nicely. 

I'd be shocked if LC went for RealtyMogul.

hoggy1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 03:49:15 PM »
These guys are clearly great at building what they've built...
That may be the nicest thing anyone has ever said about LC on this board? Everyone must be happy with LC today?
Steve

hoggy1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 03:53:31 PM »

I tried to work with RealtyMogul, and I decided that their legal agreements were really quite poorly done.  Details of the deals were missing, and they expected me to think it was ok, 'cause those details were on the web site.  Silly me, I expected the details of how we were going to share profits etc to be in actual legal documents we signed.  Would I tell the court later to go look at their web page, or that page that usta be there on the web site, but isn't now?  They agreed, and their fix was to make pdfs of the web pages in question that I could download.  I was astounded.  Decided they were rank amateurs who had no business doin' this stuff.  No real lawyer would have agreed to this.

Of course, they may have improved their operation since I looked in on them.

RealtyMogul crafts a different deal for every borrower.  Equity/debt/profit sharing/hurdle rates/special provisions/etc.  That won't scale nicely. 

I'd be shocked if LC went for RealtyMogul.

Thanks for that intel. I have been watching both of them but so fare not inclined enough with any deals to read the fine print. Oh no, there is no fine print.
Steve

yojoakak

• View Profile
    • Check out my Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey script for LendingClub here
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 06:00:16 PM »
Which companies do you think they'll buy?

J.G. Wentworth + LendingClub = P2P structured settlement buyouts

rawraw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 07:15:35 PM »
That may be the nicest thing anyone has ever said about LC on this board? Everyone must be happy with LC today?
I think LC is good as well.  I started investing in this company instead of Prosper because of my perception of the management team

DanB

• A lie told often enough becomes The Truth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 08:27:02 PM »
I think LC is good as well. I started investing in this company instead of Prosper because of my perception of the management team

I was under the impression that you started investing in this company around 11 hours ago  :)

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 08:52:06 PM »
I think LC is good as well. I started investing in this company instead of Prosper because of my perception of the management team

I was under the impression that you started investing in this company around 11 hours ago  :)

He could be a big player and maybe he's had a stake in LC since the last round of funding.  You know what happens when you assume, Dan.

rawraw

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 10:28:07 AM »

Ha ha, even us native English speakers do not have the best command on language.   But I don't view my investments as shielded from LC's credit risk, so I did initially view it as an investment.  Although that investment had a limited upside and severe downside, making management very important.  And luckily I avoided the Prosper train wreck.

hoggy1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 12:44:43 PM »
Ha ha, even us native English speakers do not have the best command on language.   But I don't view my investments as shielded from LC's credit risk, so I did initially view it as an investment.  Although that investment had a limited upside and severe downside, making management very important.
I viewed the Google group investment as better due-diligence than I could have possibly done on my own.
Steve

mo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 04:41:02 PM »
Money like that has a tendency to burn a hole in one's pocket.  I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that they will be buying some companies.  Which companies do you think they'll buy?

They would be smart to buy a bank to get their own banking license then they could keep that extra interest in that initial funding period for themselves.

DanB

• A lie told often enough becomes The Truth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2014, 12:35:08 AM »

He could be a big player and maybe he's had a stake in LC since the last round of funding.  You know what happens when you assume, Dan.

Yeah the guy who is likely no older than late 20s to early 30s (I'm "assuming" from his writing style & past use of terminology) , & who has just told us he bought 100 shares.............could in your mind also possibly be a financial player of such heft that he's invested countless millions  as an early backer of LC. Yeah sure that's way more likely than my assumptions.

core

• Your loss is my gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2014, 01:30:33 AM »
Yeah the guy who is likely no older than late 20s to early 30s (I'm "assuming" from his writing style & past use of terminology)

You are trying to cheat in order to look smart, Dan.  :P  He has already told us he hasn't been around long enough to have any tradelines fall off his credit report so that makes him 28 at most.

& who has just told us he bought 100 shares

Maybe the wifey wouldn't let him buy any more because they are already so heavily invested in LC?  Did you think of that?  He missed out on only $1500 of gains.  A divorce usually costs more than that.