Author Topic: lendacademy web server problems  (Read 37306 times)

Fred93

• View Profile
Re: lendacademy web server problems
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 09:56:07 PM »
Tonite 6/20 6:52PM to 6:54PM forum outage. 

I checked main page www.lendacademy.com in the middle of the outage, and it was ok.

Peter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lend Academy
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2016, 01:01:36 PM »
We are trying to get to the bottom of this problem. The challenge is that it is intermittent. We keep trying things and will continue to do so. I am also getting these 404 messages and finding the site much slower than normal.
Publisher of the Lend Academy blog

See my returns here: http://www.lendacademy.com/returns

Fred93

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2016, 10:13:49 PM »
Sat 10/22 first noticed at 7:10PM PST.  Resolved 7:11PM PST.  Both forum and lendacademy main web page down, and both produced the nginx 404 message.

Rob L

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2016, 10:39:50 AM »
Sunday AM 10/23/16 and getting multiple occurrences. My initial attempt to reach the LA main page from another web site failed. Also once for a "Preview" post request and another for a "Reply".

Using HTTP Fox I captured details of the GET that failed the initial attempt to reach the LA main page (from fivethirtyeight.com).
RyanL, If you think it might be useful then PM me your email address and I'll reply with a text file attachment of what I captured.

RyanL

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2016, 08:04:39 PM »
Sunday AM 10/23/16 and getting multiple occurrences. My initial attempt to reach the LA main page from another web site failed. Also once for a "Preview" post request and another for a "Reply".

Using HTTP Fox I captured details of the GET that failed the initial attempt to reach the LA main page (from fivethirtyeight.com).
RyanL, If you think it might be useful then PM me your email address and I'll reply with a text file attachment of what I captured.

I'm ryan (at) lendacademy.com. Thanks!

Rob L

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2016, 08:21:57 PM »
Ryan, check your inbox (or trash) and you should find my email.

Fred93

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2016, 02:24:09 PM »
Outage this morning 10/24/16.  First observed 10:15 AM PST.  Ended 11:21 AM PST.

This was a long one!

With known times of some outages, it seems like you should be able to find log entries of some events associated with the outages.

Fred93

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2016, 04:09:04 PM »
Another outage noticed at today at 1:06PM PDT.  Resolved at 1:08PM PDT.

dr.everett

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2016, 05:02:39 PM »
2:01PM PDT 10/24 trying to access http://www.lendacademy.com/forum/index.php

Got a 404 and then about 30 seconds later the site finally loaded.

Fred93

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2016, 08:28:06 PM »
I've seen about 5 of these outages today alone.  If I'm seeing this many, and I'm not even at my computer for hours at a time, there must be dozens of these events every day.

RyanL

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2016, 09:50:24 AM »
I've seen about 5 of these outages today alone.  If I'm seeing this many, and I'm not even at my computer for hours at a time, there must be dozens of these events every day.

Thanks for the update, our hosting provider is trying to help us get to the bottom of the performance issues. We have tried many things of the last week but have yet to see any improvements.

Fred93

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2016, 10:13:53 AM »

Thanks for the update, our hosting provider is trying to help us get to the bottom of the performance issues. We have tried many things of the last week but have yet to see any improvements.

Pardon my reaction to your choice of words ... but I interpret "performance problems" to mean something is sometimes slow.  If you're looking for something that makes things slow down, you won't find it.  That's not what we have here. 

We have "something goes offline about once an hour and causes the web server to time out" problems.  Something is just "not there" from time to time.  We know this because the web server reports "not found".  Perhaps it is a  storage volume going offline, or a network connection to a back end server going down.  (I have no idea what your architecture is.)  All such events will be in system log files.  You have lots of times & dates when the outages have occurred.  There have to be log entries at those times.  Depending on your hosting arrangements, you may not be able to look at system event logs, but someone is.

Rob L

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2016, 10:37:35 AM »
Hate to state the obvious, but maybe helpful? Probably the area where you're tweaking now:

WordPress creates a rewrite array that is responsible for managing permalinks, or “pretty URLs.”
Improperly coded plugins, custom post types, and taxonomy alterations can break or corrupt the permalink array, thus causing 404s.

http://websynthesis.com/fixing-wordpress-404-errors/

BTW: I got a 404 error just now.

RyanL

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2016, 09:42:35 AM »
It seems like we have successfully cleared the errors that we were seeing. I personally haven't had any issues in the last day, but if you notice another outage please note the time so I can continue to dig into the error logs.

Rob L

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2016, 10:01:19 AM »
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but just got another 404.
Between 9:57 and 9:58 AM ET.