Author Topic: Cash Parking  (Read 56431 times)

nonattender

• I am not here.
    • View Profile
Re: Cash Parking
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2017, 11:29:31 PM »
I think one of the LendAcademy writers may have developed problems from which Diageo holders may already be making a profit (or will soon) based upon today's pump post.

I didn't buy any of that, but I did take a flyer and buy 100 shares of an IPO for INVH, which is some sort of REIT that does single-family - the premise being that they bought up a shitload of cheap houses during the crash, and now want to rent them to millennials who invested in RENN and, so, won't be able to buy a house for the next 20 years or so.  Or at least that's what I read.  I don't know, maybe not - I was all hopped up on caffeine and half-a-shot. ;)  Probably it's something to do with mortgages actually requiring downpayments and rising interest rates and housing prices going up - but it's funnier with Bailey's adding the color.  If it were a tech company, it'd be "uber, but, you know, like, for houses".  (REG FD:  I now own INVH - whatever the hell that is - and I still own DEO - and I am careful to make sure DEO's stills don't own me - and so is RobL, I hope, though I now fear he may really be an Excel-functional-alcoholic.)

"I'm fine, honey - I swear - see, look, my pivot tables align - I can stop anytime...  I just need... one more chart!"
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

nonattender

• I am not here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2017, 05:47:13 PM »
Today's talking-my-own-book update:

I just reverse-mortgaged my house to Magnum P.I. (whose sly Fox News commercials have allayed my fears about naughty banks trying to steal my home, when, actually, they just want me to be able to enjoy myself, now, with no consequence or thoughts of the future).  I then took that money and signed up to put it all into Snapchat's IPO, which, as far as I can tell, is a program that will display whatever one puts into it, for a very short time, and then - *poof* - it's gone.  I heard the first SEC filing had an 'irony disclosure' but that it later disappeared.

Rob L

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2017, 07:56:32 PM »
Today's talking-my-own-book update:

I just reverse-mortgaged my house to Magnum P.I. (whose sly Fox News commercials have allayed my fears about naughty banks trying to steal my home, when, actually, they just want me to be able to enjoy myself, now, with no consequence or thoughts of the future).  I then took that money and signed up to put it all into Snapchat's IPO, which, as far as I can tell, is a program that will display whatever one puts into it, for a very short time, and then - *poof* - it's gone.  I heard the first SEC filing had an 'irony disclosure' but that it later disappeared.

Propping up the DEO revenues are we?
You do know that competitors FaceChat and SnapBook have massive VC backing and pose a very serious threat.
Snapchat itself could disappear overnight!

FWIW, I looked into Magnum's offer but was told I'd have to make monthly payments to reverse mortgage my house. Couldn't afford that.
Decided to continue to invest in LC instead.

nonattender

• I am not here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2017, 12:12:15 AM »
Decided to continue to invest in LC instead.

Booooooooooorrrrrrrrring.

I'm investing in a new, mobile, 5G, P2P, crowd-funded, flashmobbed, self-driving, marketplaced AI which utilitizes machine learning and blockchain to train itself via neural networking on a cloud-based, open-sourced, big data, micropayment-enabled platform to pitch VC's ridiculous ideas and completely disrupt "entrepreneurship" by leveraging proprietary management heuristics to create a penultimate...

RoboCEO.

He keeps wanting to fire anyone that's human, but I figure we'll take care of that in 2.0 - for now, it's all about the passion and vision!

If that doesn't work out, I figure I can always sell him to IBM to beep and whir and do high-level management consulting for rich guys:

Bizzizzip.  Burrurrrrp.  Beep! - "Recommend not building giant tunnel network in active earthquake fault zone. That will be $1,000,000."

nonattender

• I am not here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2017, 07:38:56 PM »

Woohoo - I'm rich!

Rob L

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2017, 02:12:28 PM »
I noticed today that the APR for Andrews FCU 84-month shares certificates has been lowered from 3.0% to 2.2%.
Meanwhile they have dragged their feet so long I have STILL not yet been issued the certificates for which I applied (they have had my money for almost a month).
Got a very bad feeling about this. They've taken insanely long to get anything done and customer support is almost non-existent.

Debt Free

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2017, 02:38:14 PM »
Go Navy!!!
NFCU
Special EasyStartSM Certificate (Share/IRA/ESA)   $50 min $3,000 max   12 months   3.00%

Rob L

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2017, 03:23:27 PM »
Go Navy!!!
NFCU
Special EasyStartSM Certificate (Share/IRA/ESA)   $50 min $3,000 max   12 months   3.00%

I'm trying to squirrel away more quite a bit more than the max on that one.
Any other ideas would be much welcomed.

Rob L

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2017, 06:39:23 PM »
My apprehension was misplaced. Things worked out well, but it wasn't a smooth process.
Late this afternoon I received a message from the Andrews website. The message said:

"Per your application comment, you are attempting to establish IRA Certificates and not the fixed rate certificates you have elected on your application. Due to us being unable to finalize your request, this application will be canceled."

Uh Oh.. There was a phone number to call. I did at 5:30 pm (they close at 7 pm) and I (surprisingly) actually reached a person. Ultimately she was able to resolve everything; issuing desired IRA certificates for my wife and me (yes at 3%) and even made them effective in mid February when they had received our money. Thought this was pretty amazing actually. Life is full of surprises.

jheizer

• View Profile
    • LC Tools
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2017, 09:36:53 PM »
Anyone have an account here https://www.purepoint.com/online-banking/savings-account/high-yield  ?

Edit:  Looks like they are extremely new for this company/brand.  Now sure what I think about that.  But those rates :)  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-24/a-japanese-fix-for-american-savings-1-25-percent-interest?cmpid=flipboard
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 09:43:28 PM by jheizer »
Replacement to P2P Quant's Percentile Tool http://lc.geekminute.com

Rob L

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2017, 09:31:11 AM »
Anyone have an account here https://www.purepoint.com/online-banking/savings-account/high-yield  ?

Edit:  Looks like they are extremely new for this company/brand.  Now sure what I think about that.  But those rates :)  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-24/a-japanese-fix-for-american-savings-1-25-percent-interest?cmpid=flipboard

Looks like a really good rate for a normal fully liquid savings account (note $10k minimum deposit).
To keep things in perspective the Treasury yield curve today 3/31/2017 (from CNN Money):

The 2 year is 1.28% (from the US Treasury web site). Don't know why it's not on the graph above.

jheizer

• View Profile
    • LC Tools
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2017, 09:49:55 AM »
Yeah doing some more reading last night it seems like it checks out for everyone.  The big question is just will the rates remain this high or are they just trying to draw money in and then drop them back to a closer to current market rate.  I'm probably going to open one but have to do some moving around first.  (And I don't know the info to our savings account.  Wife is the day to day money person.)

Debt Free

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2017, 02:25:40 PM »
Way I'm reading their terms, the first $9,999.99 is only earning 0.25% and then on the remaining $0.01 you'll make the 1.25%.

So if you have $100,000.00 there, effectively you will earn 1.15%.
$500,000, you'll earn 1.23%

jheizer

• View Profile
    • LC Tools
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2017, 02:43:54 PM »
I just don't think they worded it very good.  Here is seems clearer that it is 10k+ daily balance  = 1.25% rate.  https://www.purepoint.com/htdocs/acct/sav/rates/interest_rate.jsp?region=1408

Rob L

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2017, 06:46:10 PM »
And, keeping things in perspective, my net total returns from Lending Club Q1 were -0.1886%.
Yeah, I actually lost $166.33 in the first three months this year.
Could be worse; I could have not elected to reduce my portfolio by half last year.
My remaining account is 14% cash and I am not currently re-investing. Don't think I'm alone.