Author Topic: Cash Parking  (Read 6314 times)

jheizer

• View Profile
    • LC Tools
Re: Cash Parking
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2017, 06:50:03 PM »
Yup... Waiting on my official statement numbers for this month to decide myself.  Not doing 3 loss months in a row.
Replacement to P2P Quant's Percentile Tool http://lc.geekminute.com

nonattender

• I am not here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2017, 12:55:25 AM »
I just don't think they worded it very good.  Here is seems clearer that it is 10k+ daily balance  = 1.25% rate.  https://www.purepoint.com/htdocs/acct/sav/rates/interest_rate.jsp?region=1408

Nope, you don't want that.

Highest nationally available fully liquid account at the moment is 1.50% APY at mymemorybank.com (Republic Bank & Trust).  Rate's good for a year, on dollar 1 to dollar 249,999.  No POD.  Straight-up FDIC-insured checking account.  Must do ONE incoming ACH per month, as well as 5 point of sale (online is fine) debit card purchases per month.  So, set checking acct to xfer $x into memory per month / use their card somewhere 5x per month (neither of those things struck me as too onerous).  Only thing weird about the offering is that they do 15th of the month to 15th of the month statement closing - I kinda like that, actually.  My EOM activity list is already pretty full.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

nonattender

• I am not here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2017, 01:10:26 AM »
I noticed today that the APR for Andrews FCU 84-month shares certificates has been lowered from 3.0% to 2.2%.

Glad to see this worked out for you and that they got you sorted.  They were absolutely deluged, from what I gathered, so, no surprise they've dropped back.  Plenty of other CU's now up in the 2.75-3.00 range on 5 years, but none of them with Andrews' favorable EWPs.

Fed's Dudley out early today saying "maybe just 2 more increases this year"...  (My brain hears:  "Fed's Dudley might need to be out...")

The really, really smart guy that I like - the SF guy, John Williams - was out on Friday saying "3... maybe even 4".  But he's not voting until next year.  Hopefully, the others will listen to him...  he's neither dovish nor hawkish, probably the brightest guy they have there.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 01:18:35 AM by nonattender »

Rob L

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2017, 09:07:48 AM »
I noticed today that the APR for Andrews FCU 84-month shares certificates has been lowered from 3.0% to 2.2%.

Glad to see this worked out for you and that they got you sorted.  They were absolutely deluged, from what I gathered, so, no surprise they've dropped back.  Plenty of other CU's now up in the 2.75-3.00 range on 5 years, but none of them with Andrews' favorable EWPs.

Fed's Dudley out early today saying "maybe just 2 more increases this year"...  (My brain hears:  "Fed's Dudley might need to be out...")

The really, really smart guy that I like - the SF guy, John Williams - was out on Friday saying "3... maybe even 4".  But he's not voting until next year.  Hopefully, the others will listen to him...  he's neither dovish nor hawkish, probably the brightest guy they have there.

Most voting FOMC members are currently (3/15/2017) saying they expect two (lets not spook the markets):

This Richmond Fed report is an interesting read:

https://www.richmondfed.org/~/media/richmondfedorg/research/national_economy/national_economic_indicators/pdf/all_charts.pdf

Fred93

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2017, 01:32:42 PM »
Most voting FOMC members are currently (3/15/2017) saying they expect two (lets not spook the markets):

Yea, but those "dot plots" have been way off over the last couple of years, with most voting members thinking rates would rise much faster than they have risen.  This means of course that they were "data directed", which is another way of saying that they do not have the ability to predict economic conditions very well.

Now tho, they might be right.  Maybe.  Seems like maybe.  On the other hand, what is the basis for putting faith in an indicator that has been so often wrong?  I think we should ignore the dots.

Rob L

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2017, 02:19:36 PM »

Yea, but those "dot plots" have been way off over the last couple of years, with most voting members thinking rates would rise much faster than they have risen.  This means of course that they were "data directed", which is another way of saying that they do not have the ability to predict economic conditions very well.

Now tho, they might be right.  Maybe.  Seems like maybe.  On the other hand, what is the basis for putting faith in an indicator that has been so often wrong?  I think we should ignore the dots.

Maybe put a little credence in their "longer run" forecast (perfect image of a down arrow indicating of course that we're all dead).

nonattender

• I am not here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2017, 08:52:14 PM »

You know, oddly enough, I think that a return to something resembling normality might actually lend confidence to the markets.  Once we get in the ~2.5-3 range, I think there might be a bit of a spook-factor, but, for now, it's kinda *less* spooky to have the market in control of itself and more on its own feet, rather than being propped up, globally (and having to deal w/uncertainty of "what will ECB, FOMC, XYZ do?")...  Ideally, I feel like I shouldn't have to know Mario Draghi's name - or who he is - I'm kinda tired of "central banks", least in the sense that the markets have been so dependent on them, being so completely central and such a major factor to watch.

Maybe that's just me, but I think that might be a part of the animal spirits being awakened again - a return to a 'free market market'.

BTW, the down arrow that you pointed out, complete with long-run-all-dead econ joke, was funny - thanks for the gallows humor. :)

Rob L

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2017, 11:53:42 AM »

You know, oddly enough, I think that a return to something resembling normality might actually lend confidence to the markets.  Once we get in the ~2.5-3 range, I think there might be a bit of a spook-factor, but, for now, it's kinda *less* spooky to have the market in control of itself and more on its own feet, rather than being propped up, globally (and having to deal w/uncertainty of "what will ECB, FOMC, XYZ do?")...  Ideally, I feel like I shouldn't have to know Mario Draghi's name - or who he is - I'm kinda tired of "central banks", least in the sense that the markets have been so dependent on them, being so completely central and such a major factor to watch.

Maybe that's just me, but I think that might be a part of the animal spirits being awakened again - a return to a 'free market market'.

BTW, the down arrow that you pointed out, complete with long-run-all-dead econ joke, was funny - thanks for the gallows humor. :)

There's the old "three steps and a stumble" observation that's surely in the back of the minds of many market participants, and probably some of the FOMC voting members as well. It's in mine. Don't want that to become a self fulfilling prophesy for the markets and the real economy. (PS: don't call me Shirley).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 01:12:56 PM by Rob L »

Rob L

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2017, 01:22:08 PM »
My apprehension was misplaced. Things worked out well, but it wasn't a smooth process.
Late this afternoon I received a message from the Andrews website. The message said:

"Per your application comment, you are attempting to establish IRA Certificates and not the fixed rate certificates you have elected on your application. Due to us being unable to finalize your request, this application will be canceled."

Uh Oh.. There was a phone number to call. I did at 5:30 pm (they close at 7 pm) and I (surprisingly) actually reached a person. Ultimately she was able to resolve everything; issuing desired IRA certificates for my wife and me (yes at 3%) and even made them effective in mid February when they had received our money. Thought this was pretty amazing actually. Life is full of surprises.

I did maintain a bit of apprehension until today when interest was posted for the first time.
We did get the 3% as promised, back dated to 2/17/2017. Remarkable!

nonattender

• I am not here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2017, 01:23:28 PM »
I just reverse-mortgaged my house to Magnum P.I. (whose sly Fox News commercials have allayed my fears about naughty banks trying to steal my home, when, actually, they just want me to be able to enjoy myself, now, with no consequence or thoughts of the future).  I then took that money and signed up to put it all into Snapchat's IPO, which, as far as I can tell, is a program that will display whatever one puts into it, for a very short time, and then - *poof* - it's gone.  I heard the first SEC filing had an 'irony disclosure' but that it later disappeared.

Woohoo - I'm rich!

Ok, taking all my fake SNAP IPO winnings and putting it all on YayYo!  I am not bothered one bit that this means "cocaine" in Spanish:

http://www.yayyoipo.com

And the prize for most hilarious SEC filing one can read (unless one is so stupid as to have invested):

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1691077/000161577416008925/s104953_partiiandiii.htm

This is gonna give massive credibility to the new Reg A offerings / crowdfunding.  I am thrilled by this.

::) (this icon does not capture the extent to which my eyes roll back in my head in complete sarcasm)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 01:26:30 PM by nonattender »

jheizer

• View Profile
    • LC Tools
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2017, 11:12:43 AM »
Not as good as some of the past deals on here, but Ally has a 12 month 2% CD deal right now.
Replacement to P2P Quant's Percentile Tool http://lc.geekminute.com

nonattender

• I am not here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2017, 11:41:27 PM »
Not as good as some of the past deals on here, but Ally has a 12 month 2% CD deal right now.

Also have an 11-month No Penalty CD ($25k min) at 1.75% - tangentially, I bought some ALLY, a little while back.