Author Topic: Cash Parking  (Read 57596 times)

Fred93

• View Profile
Re: Cash Parking
« Reply #105 on: January 22, 2020, 12:55:33 PM »
I currently use Ally online savings (1.6% down from highest of 2.2% I think). Everything I've done with them has been smooth and their interaction with my brick&mortor longtime bank is quick

At this time, short term T-bills and T-bonds are in the 1.5% to 1.6% range.  Treasury obligations are state-tax-free.  Therefore, 1.5% from a treasury is better than 1.5% from a savings account.  Treasuries are tradeable with 1 click at your stock broker's web site.

Rob L

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2020, 05:18:46 PM »
Was this a limited time offer?  I tried the link which didn't work.  Checked the Tab bank site and there was no mention of the Kasasa checking.

Wow! There was no mention of a limited time offer (its been around for many months), but it sure appears you're right. It seems to be gone gone from the web site. Instead there is a teaser about something better to come?? No clue as to what. Guess I seem to have something of a knack for getting under the wire so to speak (see post about City Credit Union CD above). Looks like I'll probably make this a joint account since my wife won't have the option to open a similar account.

BTW: I was able to activate my ACH Transfer link to Ally bank today with the usual two small deposits and a withdrawal. Just waiting for my "Welcome Package" to proceed. Also I sent a customer message to TAB asking how to designate beneficiaries (over a week ago). No response yet.

Debt Free

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: January 22, 2020, 08:37:15 PM »
Yes, I had seen the offer last week after the original post.  Put it off thinking it was a long term offer as I had seen the same deal mentioned on several other sites.  Then went to dig into it more and POOF! it was gone.

mrwhizzard

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2020, 11:48:02 AM »
Treasuries are tradeable with 1 click at your stock broker's web site.

I've only bought treasuries via TreasuryDirect before. Do you have any advice about how to do this via a broker? I really dislike the kludgy way you have to login at TD...

Fred93

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2020, 02:18:39 PM »
Treasuries are tradeable with 1 click at your stock broker's web site.

I've only bought treasuries via TreasuryDirect before. Do you have any advice about how to do this via a broker? I really dislike the kludgy way you have to login at TD...

Buying treasuries thru your broker is infinitely easier than treasury direct.  You don't have to move money from one place to another.  You don't have to wait for new issues.  Literally hundreds of different issues are available to be bought at a second's notice.  You see all the prices (and resulting yields), then you just click on one of them, and tell 'em how much you want to buy and BAM in a few seconds you have a confirmation, and a day later you are earning interest.

Treasurydirect is an anachronism.  There is simply no reason for it to exist any more.

I buy most of my treasuries at TD Ameritrade.  I don't understand what you mean when you say "kludgy way you have to login".  What does that mean?  You type a username and password.  This is the same way I login at any broker.  I find the TD Ameritrade web site pretty straightforward.  You can also buy via a phone call if that suits you.

.Ryan.

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2020, 10:15:39 AM »
I buy most of my treasuries at TD Ameritrade.  I don't understand what you mean when you say "kludgy way you have to login".  What does that mean?  You type a username and password.  This is the same way I login at any broker.  I find the TD Ameritrade web site pretty straightforward.  You can also buy via a phone call if that suits you.

I believe in this context TD is referring to TreasuryDirect, and not TD Ameritrade.

Fred93

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2020, 02:14:07 PM »

I believe in this context TD is referring to TreasuryDirect, and not TD Ameritrade.

:-)  Ah.  That interpretation makes much more sense than the way I read it!  Thanks.

jheizer

• View Profile
    • LC Tools
« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2020, 06:02:24 PM »
HA this talk made me remember I tried out TreasuryDirect last year.  It was so awful I only bought a single 1YR test one and decided against the entire plan.  Forgot about it.  Surprise money maturing in 6 days :)

I've had my other cash sitting in wealthfront's cash account.  Also down and at 1.78% now, but they/their site has been pretty good so far. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 06:04:11 PM by jheizer »
Replacement to P2P Quant's Percentile Tool http://lc.geekminute.com

AnilG

• View Profile
    • PeerCube
« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2020, 07:37:56 PM »
I use Treasury Direct (TD) to buy “no secondary market” treasury bonds, primarily I-series and EE-series. For T-bills and other T-bonds, and for bonds with secondary market, I use Fidelity.
---
Anil Gupta
PeerCube Thoughts blog https://www.peercube.com/blog
PeerCube https://www.peercube.com

lascott

• View Profile
    • Appreciate my post and want to try LendingRobot? URL below
« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2020, 12:01:34 AM »
I use Ally online savings too and am a very happy camper. Their interest rate is always a bit lower than others but I think they can get away with it since they provide an exceptionally good online experience and service. Free next day transfers is one example. You can even name and change your primary and contingent beneficiaries online (up to 10). That's pretty rare.

So, I online opened a Kasasa checking account at TAB. Smooth sailing. After about a week someone called, verified some security questions and enabled my online account with zero balance. The website seems to have almost everything I'd like and the phone app likewise. However, beneficiaries can't be named online. ...
The only place I cannot do my beneficiaries online is my Chase brick-n-mortar via their website. They want you to come in. My nearest branch just had all the tellers removed but I'm sure there are others there to do this if I walk. They have the nerve to bug me about becoming a Chase Private Client (https://www.creditdonkey.com/chase-private-client-review.html) where they want $250K of my money.   
Tools I use: (main) BlueVestment: https://www.bluevestment.com/app/pricing + https://www.interestradar.com/ , (others) Lending Robot referral link: https://www.lendingrobot.com/ref/scott473/  & Peercube referral code: DFVA9Y

Rob L

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2020, 10:38:51 AM »
I use Ally online savings too and am a very happy camper. Their interest rate is always a bit lower than others but I think they can get away with it since they provide an exceptionally good online experience and service. Free next day transfers is one example. You can even name and change your primary and contingent beneficiaries online (up to 10). That's pretty rare.

So, I online opened a Kasasa checking account at TAB. Smooth sailing. After about a week someone called, verified some security questions and enabled my online account with zero balance. The website seems to have almost everything I'd like and the phone app likewise. However, beneficiaries can't be named online. ...
The only place I cannot do my beneficiaries online is my Chase brick-n-mortar via their website. They want you to come in. My nearest branch just had all the tellers removed but I'm sure there are others there to do this if I walk. They have the nerve to bug me about becoming a Chase Private Client (https://www.creditdonkey.com/chase-private-client-review.html) where they want $250K of my money.

Hey I'd jump all over that Chase Private Client offer. It looks like a peach of a deal  ::)

mrwhizzard

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 27, 2020, 02:58:30 PM »

Yep, sorry about the ambiguity there. With TreasuryDirect, you have to "type" your password by clicking little buttons on the web page.

Fred93

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 27, 2020, 03:24:56 PM »
Yep, sorry about the ambiguity there. With TreasuryDirect, you have to "type" your password by clicking little buttons on the web page.

Wow.  I haven't seen one of those in maybe 10 years.  That was probably last time the govt web site got an update.

That scheme was intended to mitigate "keystroke grabber" malware.  It failed the convenience test.

Debt Free

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: February 05, 2020, 12:24:04 AM »
The 4% Kasasa checking offer with TAB Bank is back on their site.  https://www.tabbank.com/kasasa-cash-checking/
Guessing it was a technical glitch that was finally fixed.

My only concern with the offer is the "ATM-processed transactions" that do not qualify.  I take that to imply that PIN based transactions don't count and that it has to be a signature based transaction, which most retailers no longer do.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 12:32:08 AM by Debt Free »

Rob L

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 05, 2020, 09:35:10 AM »
The 4% Kasasa checking offer with TAB Bank is back on their site.  https://www.tabbank.com/kasasa-cash-checking/
Guessing it was a technical glitch that was finally fixed.

My only concern with the offer is the "ATM-processed transactions" that do not qualify.  I take that to imply that PIN based transactions don't count and that it has to be a signature based transaction, which most retailers no longer do.

The glitch may have been the Kasasa offer briefly popping back up on their site. It seems to be gone again this morning.  :(