Author Topic: LC Announces Q1 2017 Earnings  (Read 2019 times)

Rob L

• View Profile
LC Announces Q1 2017 Earnings
« on: May 05, 2017, 12:48:57 PM »
Interesting that LC announced its Q1 2017 earnings after market close yesterday and not a single mention here on the forum. That seems odd, but there were no surprises. Earnings (Losses) were (0.07) per share and in line with expectations. Originations fell slightly and have been flat for the past 4 quarters. Earnings dropped 5% quarter over quarter. The stock dropped about 5% on the news to $5.80 at 12:40 today 5/5/2017.

Their presentation is here: http://ir.lendingclub.com/file.aspx?iid=4213397&fid=1001223617

And the SEC filing is here: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1409970/000140997017000544/q117exhibit991er.htm

LC's cash and equivalents on hand have dropped from $868 mm to $781 mm ($87 mm or 10%) over the past year. They dropped $22 mm over the past quarter. Pretty much all that cash on hand is a result of the LC IPO in Dec 2014.

dr.everett

• View Profile
Re: LC Announces Q1 2017 Earnings
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 03:17:29 PM »
I own a chunk of LC stock- was thinking about selling off before the announcement, but a 5% swing for me isn't enough to worry about. I got in around $4 a share so there's still a nice profit for me.

Given how it seems to pretty predictably cycle I may need to start playing that aspect of it. :)

jz451

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 03:20:34 PM »
After looking at the filing I find it striking that the engineering/product development costs have risen and that G&A have gone up as well. If they stayed flat year-over-year they could have saved $17 million.Makes you wonder what they are spending money to develop/engineer and where the administrative costs are going.

BruiserB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 03:30:37 PM »
After looking at the filing I find it striking that the engineering/product development costs have risen and that G&A have gone up as well. If they stayed flat year-over-year they could have saved $17 million.Makes you wonder what they are spending money to develop/engineer and where the administrative costs are going.

Well they developed the new iPhone app!  ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fred93

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 04:27:35 PM »

In general, operational expenses (OPEX) rose 4.3% year to year.  Most of this of course is labor.

It would have been better if opex had been held constant, but as a practical matter, that is quite difficult to do.  Costs rise this year vs last year because of not just things you do this year, but things you did LAST YEAR as well.  If you gave a person a raise in the middle of last year, you will have half a year of that increased salary in last year's sum, but a full year of it in this year's sum.  Same thing happens when you hired a person last year.  Even if you freeze all hiring and all salary increases this year, opex this year will be higher than last year.  I suspect that almost all hiring is indeed frozen, but that performance raises are continuing.  Can't hold the tech people otherwise.

The only way to do better at controlling opex is to lay off folks.  From a practical matter, Scott had one chance to do that.  He made a decision how many to lay off at that time.  In retrospect I think it might have been better to have cut a bit more heavily, but I'm not the guy who had to make those decisions, and its always easy to criticize looking back.

He has controlled sales & marketing costs.  I believe that almost all of those costs go to acquire borrowers.  Prior S&M campaign was designed to grow borrowers, whereas now we're merely holding flat, which one should be able to do with a smaller S&M program.

It is difficult to see how they're going to grow back into profitability enough to support the stock price in the near future.  I can't make my spreadsheet come out with any reasonable numbers.

Rob L

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 05:23:27 PM »
The cost LC pays to acquire customers seems to be rising.
The ratio of Sales and Marketing to Originations was 1.96% in 2014, 2.05% in 2015, 2.5% in 2016 and 2.8% this past quarter.
This might seem small but basis points count when talking about a couple billions of dollars.
The increase in this ratio over the past quarter alone cost the company about $5.8 mm (0.3% of $1,959 mm).

Note to nonattender: this post has no charts :)