Author Topic: Why not buy notes with a premium???  (Read 145 times)

jcurry6664

• View Profile
    • Email
Why not buy notes with a premium???
« on: October 12, 2017, 01:22:08 PM »
I've been investing with LC for a while, and just recently started to think about trading notes on Folio.

I was thinking of buying 60 month notes with 12 - 18 payments left, filtering them to ensure they have never been late and have not dropped credit rate.  My thought is that if they haven't defaulted in the first 4 years and their credit is stable, there is a high probably they will pay off the loan.

The one question I have is why do I see so much advice to not pay a premium.  My thoughts are the premium gets rolled into the yield to maturity, so if I can get a higher yield, I should still be ahead.  What am I missing?

Fred93

• View Profile
Re: Why not buy notes with a premium???
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 01:27:09 PM »
The one question I have is why do I see so much advice to not pay a premium.  My thoughts are the premium gets rolled into the yield to maturity, so if I can get a higher yield, I should still be ahead.  What am I missing?

Borrower can pay off the loan early.

jcurry6664

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 01:32:37 PM »
Yes, that makes sense.  I wonder how often that happens deep into the loan. Thanks.

Fred93

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 01:46:26 PM »
Yes, that makes sense.  I wonder how often that happens deep into the loan. Thanks.

LC provides all the data for all past loans, now over 1.5 Million of 'em, so you can compute this sort of thing, not only in toto, but also for your particular loan selection criteria.  This is one example of how LC's transparency still works really well.