Author Topic: Is Bluevestment working?  (Read 31997 times)

Keltset

• View Profile
Re: Is Bluevestment working?
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2014, 10:29:36 AM »
In that respect, you may want filter A to make up 35% of your overall outstanding principle, filter B at 55% and the remaining 10% be filter C. We could totally do that. BlueVestment could stop investing in filter A if the total outstanding principle of all loans that match filter A make up 35% or more of all outstanding principle + available cash.

This is something I think that many people would like to see. Different filters can often represent different strategies. The ability to manage the allocation to a given strategy would be nice...

The primary reason I don't use many of these third party services (aside from trust issues and control issues) is that they often neglect things that I can easily write in my own code. Granularity is very nice and I believe is something that more and more people would like to see. Automation strategies are "different" than what people do when going over a filter and manually selecting loans. One generally filters to limit the search results to the best, then precedes to go through those filtered results and manually filters out ones they don't like for some additional reason. I don't know how others do it but I like to tweak on my filters here and there and have portions of my portfolio allocated to different segments of the market. For example, I may be willing to go light(5-10%) on my second or third filter but I would be unwilling to see my entire portfolio end up in those notes. The method you describe of allocating percentages of principle (adjusted?) + available cash is something I think users in general would appreciate and is very similar to how I manage it in my code.

Also as a side note, I think BlueVestment is becoming popular enough (and we have an active admin here) to get its own forum section...

Edit> This said, I did decide to register and check out the site with a smaller account that I have.

Zach

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2014, 10:39:16 AM »

Also as a side note, I think BlueVestment is becoming popular enough (and we have an active admin here) to get its own forum section...

Edit> This said, I did decide to register and check out the site with a smaller account that I have.

Good point! I will take care of that now...

Emmanuel

• View Profile
    • LendingRobot
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2014, 11:31:30 AM »
I wonder how that happened?  Emmanuel, do you want to enter a statement?  Hmm, aren't you a competitor?  That doesn't sit well with me.  Ratting on another guy is rather low.  _If_ that's what happened.

The other alternative is that Lending Club's double naught SPIES read it here and shut him down afterwards.  You guys can tease me all you want, but they ARE here.  I keep saying it, and you guys dismiss it.  How many times does this needs to happen before you believe?

We never contacted LC about that, and it is not our intention to 'rat' about the wrongdoing of any service provider, unless they are clearly defrauding customer.

Regarding the present matter, I don't think BlueVestment was doing anything morally reprehensible; putting the form on their website was more convenient for their users, that's all. I was surprised LC would let him do that, but that's between them.

BlueVestment

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2014, 12:52:01 PM »
I've had this issue before too. I want a filter that is a little more loose to help me invest my cash after a deposit, but I don't want those filters to be picking up notes when I only have $25 to invest. Even when new loans are made available, sometimes my #1 rule wouldn't have any matches and it still goes with my loose #2 rule. I would have rather it skipped that #2 rule and waited until the next batch of new loans to grab a note matching rule #1.

But I can see that would be complicated to implement and annoying to me to always try to manage (by flipping the #2 filter off). So instead I just create 1 rule that I can be happy with. It may not be an estimated 15% on NSR, but it can be 14% and has what I believe to be a good allocation of different grade notes. This rule may also take a little longer when I deposit new money, but at least I can be happy with every note it grabs.

Let me ask you this:

Would a setting that says "Always maintain a minimum of $X for this filter" be of any use?

BlueVestment

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2014, 01:07:00 PM »
In that respect, you may want filter A to make up 35% of your overall outstanding principle, filter B at 55% and the remaining 10% be filter C. We could totally do that. BlueVestment could stop investing in filter A if the total outstanding principle of all loans that match filter A make up 35% or more of all outstanding principle + available cash.

This is something I think that many people would like to see. Different filters can often represent different strategies. The ability to manage the allocation to a given strategy would be nice...

The primary reason I don't use many of these third party services (aside from trust issues and control issues) is that they often neglect things that I can easily write in my own code. Granularity is very nice and I believe is something that more and more people would like to see. Automation strategies are "different" than what people do when going over a filter and manually selecting loans. One generally filters to limit the search results to the best, then precedes to go through those filtered results and manually filters out ones they don't like for some additional reason. I don't know how others do it but I like to tweak on my filters here and there and have portions of my portfolio allocated to different segments of the market. For example, I may be willing to go light(5-10%) on my second or third filter but I would be unwilling to see my entire portfolio end up in those notes. The method you describe of allocating percentages of principle (adjusted?) + available cash is something I think users in general would appreciate and is very similar to how I manage it in my code.

I agree that it would be a neat feature. I wonder about implementation though. Asset allocation strategies are much easier to implement because you can (for the most part) take any stock and assign it to a sector or asset category. There isn't overlap. How would you ensure that your Filter A criteria didn't overlap at all with Filter B?

Nathan

BlueVestment

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2014, 01:09:06 PM »
Regarding the present matter, I don't think BlueVestment was doing anything morally reprehensible; putting the form on their website was more convenient for their users, that's all. I was surprised LC would let him do that, but that's between them.

And in the end Lending Club didn't allow it. It turned out to be a non issue after they politely asked if I could direct my users to Lending Club directly.

Emmanuel

• View Profile
    • LendingRobot
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2014, 01:21:31 PM »
And in the end Lending Club didn't allow it.

In an ideal world, every LC investor would have API access allowed by default, Prosper-style.
In a second ideal world, LC would let both of us point to an online form hosted on their server, where our clients could read and sign their API agreement.

BlueVestment

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2014, 03:27:45 PM »
And in the end Lending Club didn't allow it.

In an ideal world, every LC investor would have API access allowed by default, Prosper-style.
In a second ideal world, LC would let both of us point to an online form hosted on their server, where our clients could read and sign their API agreement.

I know! Heaven forbid they use this 'new' feature known as 'e-signature'.

mindbowels

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2014, 08:46:17 PM »
Just want to call out a big thanks from one of your users.  I didn't realize how sweet things were until they were gone!  Now that I have the API token from LC, looking forward to being back.

cnmor54

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2014, 10:27:53 PM »
I just got my token too. Can't wait to see new loans in the morning. After six days of going back to watching the clock 4x a day and then getting very few loans because my internet is slow wifi I am so ready for automation again. Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 11:21:45 AM by cnmor54 »

Natalie-OBX

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2014, 10:32:53 AM »
I sent the form that Nathan posted on 3/8, and received email confirmation from Lending Club on 3/11.  They didn't ask me for any additional info.  As of today, 3/13, the API token was there.  I guess it was just a formality that they wanted users to get the form directly from them.  Looking forward to using the service.  Thanks Nathan!

--Natalie