Author Topic: Time for loan to be 100% funded  (Read 3122 times)

Scott S

• View Profile
    • Email
Time for loan to be 100% funded
« on: September 03, 2019, 08:52:55 AM »
I teach a banking course.  We are examining the P2P lending process and I am doing some analysis on older loans (2012-2014). I am looking for an indication in the data file of how long it took a loan to be completely funded.  I am particularly interested in fractional loans.

Is there a variable that I am overlooking on LC's historical data that would tell me that Loan A was fully funded in 2 days while it took 4 days for Loan B to be fully funded?

Thank you

Fred93

• View Profile
Re: Time for loan to be 100% funded
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 01:01:58 PM »
Is there a variable that I am overlooking on LC's historical data that would tell me that Loan A was fully funded in 2 days while it took 4 days for Loan B to be fully funded?

Once upon a time such information was there, but they censored it a few years ago.  LC believed that other companies were using this data to gain some competitive advantage.

There used to be more date fields, and the date fields used to include not just accurate dates but also times.  Now the remaining date fields are censored so that they all show the 1st day of the month, and no time.

Scott S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 08:02:49 PM »
Fred-  I appreciate your reply.  I feared as much since I really liked the LC data.

All - Alternatively, I am looking at Prosper data from the same time frame (2012-15).  I see time to become fully funded can be calculated on the Listings data.  However, I do not see anything comparable on the Loans file and I would really like to compare 1) the time a loan requires to become fully funded (a semi-proxy for investor desire for it) to 2) that loan's subsequent performance.

Maybe I am missing something obvious but is there a key (applicant number or loan number) that would allow me to link the time required from the Listings file to the same individual loans subsequent performance on the Loans file.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions

Fred93

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 05:16:04 AM »
...looking at Prosper data... I see time to become fully funded can be calculated on the Listings data.  However, I do not see anything comparable on the Loans file and I would really like to compare 1) the time a loan requires to become fully funded (a semi-proxy for investor desire for it) to 2) that loan's subsequent performance.

My memory is faded, as this happened a few years back, but I believe that they intentionally removed the key that would allow you to match listings to loan historical data with the explanation that there was a competitive threat, ie some competitors were using this data to learn from P's data.  I seem to remember I protested at the time, because of course dammit the data is worthless unless we have the info required to learn what parameters affect performance.

I don't know whether you've looked at nsrplatform.com  This is a very useful web site that allows you to ask the sorts of questions you're asking and get analytical data on the loan performance on a filtered set of loans and also vs various parameters.  It was created by some folks who are now part of the same company as LendAcademy, the folks who run this forum.  I remember (but only in a faded way!) that at the time this occurred nsrplatform.com was able to negotiate with Prosper to get the data based on some promises that they would only display results that were aggregated for at least some number of loans, so you could never use their platform to make the identification of listing to loan.

I haven't used nsrplatform in a long time, and when I went to it just now it seems to be in need of repair.  Popup windows pop up so that they're partially outside of the browser window and other such malfunctions.  There was a time when there were a lot of retail customers (the folks who buy those fractions of loans) and this growing and exited group of people were all trying to better each other by understanding the effects of various parameters etc.  Now the retail market is like that shopping mall in a bad part of town with all the big stores boarded up.

In fact, one thing you should realize is that only a very small portion of LC's loan volume is allocated to the retail market now (and I suspect P is same).  Only the loans that go to retail customers are sold in chunks, so the "time to be 100% funded" concept only applies to this small portion of loans now.  Loans sold to institutional investors (ether as loans or notes) are sold "whole".  Large investors like hedge funds may buy notes or things they call "certificates".  Each is an indirect ownership interest.  Banks who are set up to satisfy all the federal and state requirements that go with owning loans directly can buy the loans.  You can see some breakdown vs types of customers in the quarterly presentations LC and P make to shareholders.

Scott S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 06:46:47 PM »
Thank you Fred93.  That is very helpful.

AnilG

• View Profile
    • PeerCube
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 06:04:25 AM »
My blog posts from 2014 about time to find might be of interest to you.

https://www.peercube.com/blog/post/mad-rush-at-lending-club-loan-release-time-part-i
Mad Rush at Lending Club Loan Release Time: Part I

I teach a banking course.  We are examining the P2P lending process and I am doing some analysis on older loans (2012-2014). I am looking for an indication in the data file of how long it took a loan to be completely funded.  I am particularly interested in fractional loans.

Thank you
---
Anil Gupta
PeerCube Thoughts blog https://www.peercube.com/blog
PeerCube https://www.peercube.com

Scott S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 05:56:05 PM »
Anil-

Excellent information - a belated thank you very much