Author Topic: Supplemental data for analysis?  (Read 568 times)

Booleans

• View Profile
    • Email
Supplemental data for analysis?
« on: July 07, 2018, 03:02:50 PM »
Hi everyone. I stopped investing in LC a while back but I'm interested in doing some data analysis for fun. I was hoping people could recommend supplemental data sources to look at in addition to what is provided by Lending Club.

For example, LC had to remove the last 2 digits of the zip code because investors were gathering geographic data from outside sources and using it to avoid loans in certain neighborhoods (at least that's the story I remember).

Can anyone recommend what data sources might be used in addition to what LC provides in order to analyze loans?

Fred93

• View Profile
Re: Supplemental data for analysis?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 05:14:51 PM »
For example, LC had to remove the last 2 digits of the zip code because investors were gathering geographic data from outside sources and using it to avoid loans in certain neighborhoods (at least that's the story I remember).]

They never actually made any claim that was as specific as that.  I believe it was more a fear that some regulator would imagine such a thing.  ...or perhaps a fear that competitors could mine the data... This occurred at a time when LC was becoming paranoid about competitors.

Can anyone recommend what data sources might be used in addition to what LC provides in order to analyze loans?

A few years ago I went hunting for economic data by zip code that I could combine with LC data.   The free data I found online was poor quality and/or not up to date.  I never found anything useful.  Not even sure that good data would have proved useful (ie predictive).