Author Topic: Institutional vs. Retail on a LoanID level  (Read 739 times)

Greg89

• View Profile
    • Email
Institutional vs. Retail on a LoanID level
« on: November 27, 2018, 07:55:34 AM »
Hello! :)
After experimenting with LC-Data in the last couple of weeks, I tried to find a way to find out for every loan, if it was funded by institutional or retail investors.
Since I didn't find any clues in the LoanStats-files or the additional payment history data, I was wondering if the LC Sales Reports give any indication if the loan was funded by retail, institutional or both. For example: What does it mean if there is a difference btw. "Amt. Notes sold" and "Amt. Notes offered"?

I used the search function to see if this is a duplicate topic, but couldn't find anything either. I'd be grateful for help of any kind!  ::)
Best,
Greg

Rob L

• View Profile
Re: Institutional vs. Retail on a LoanID level
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 09:45:04 AM »
The LoanStats file(s) have a column labeled initial_list_status. It's either w for whole loan or f for fractional.
Institutions typically buy w and individuals buy f.
However if a w loan isn't bought it's later offered as f so it isn't certain that all w loans were purchased by institutions.
Loans offered as f are almost certainly bought by individuals. If there are not enough interested individuals to completely fund the loan then LC typically funds the difference.