Author Topic: Borrowers with >$20,000/month Income  (Read 11487 times)

viking

• View Profile
    • Email
Borrowers with >$20,000/month Income
« on: January 06, 2013, 06:47:19 PM »
Some borrowers claim more than $20,000/month in income. See for example LoanID 3065326:
https://www.lendingclub.com/account/loanDetail.action?loan_id=3065326
who claims $37,500/month income.
It is probably an error (maybe should be $37,500/year) but it throws off the DTI ratio.

Do you invest in these type of loans?

Grant

• View Profile
Re: Borrowers with >$20,000/month Income
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 06:53:01 PM »
Nope. If its an error I want the correct number before investing.  If it's not an error, something is seriously wrong with the borrower as most banks will give an unsecured line of credit at 6% or less for people with higher incomes such as this.

Zach

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 06:57:14 PM »
Some borrowers claim more than $20,000/month in income. See for example LoanID 3065326:
It is probably an error (maybe should be $37,500/year) but it throws off the DTI ratio.

I believe that historically, the borrower has entered their income incorrectly (thinking that it was an annual figure, not monthly). The debate should really be focused on the borrower not caring enough to read the application questions or make the proper selection of whether or not the amount they're inputting is annual/monthly.

It would surprise me that LC would not automatically flag listings with incomes of greater than $15k/month.

rawraw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 07:35:18 PM »
Nope. If its an error I want the correct number before investing.  If it's not an error, something is seriously wrong with the borrower as most banks will give an unsecured line of credit at 6% or less for people with higher incomes such as this.
Not true.  Income is only part of the lending process.

I don't, unless its verified.  And I've had a few verified ones that high.

Grant

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 07:58:08 PM »
Not true.  Income is only part of the lending process.

I don't, unless its verified.  And I've had a few verified ones that high.
Yes, you're right... So if banks aren't throwing themselves at this particular type of borrower to lend at a more favorable rate, I ask myself what the banks know that I don't.

AnilG

• View Profile
    • PeerCube
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 08:08:06 PM »
There are currently 14 loans available where borrower indicated monthly income greater than $20,000. Historically, such loans have much lower default rate and higher return on investment. So, I don't worry about someone claiming higher income and if it is not verified. As long as other factors such as mortgage, total debt, low credit utilization, and clean credit record line up, I will lend.
---
Anil Gupta
PeerCube Thoughts blog https://www.peercube.com/blog
PeerCube https://www.peercube.com

DanB

• A lie told often enough becomes The Truth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 09:41:04 PM »
I saw one last month with income of $30000 a month...................verified!

mo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 09:53:33 PM »
The LC borrower application asks for yearly income.  LC does the math to get the per month number they show in the loan offering to investors so these aren't careless typos on the part of people not reading carefully.

viking

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 10:12:43 PM »
If the income is correct at $37,500/month, for the example above, it is a little bit surprising that the borrower is not able to pay down his credit cards from his income alone and needs a loan from LC. His revolving balance is $33,894.00 and he is asking for $30,000.

yojoakak

• View Profile
    • Check out my Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey script for LendingClub here
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 12:25:20 AM »
Yes, you're right... So if banks aren't throwing themselves at this particular type of borrower to lend at a more favorable rate, I ask myself what the banks know that I don't.

Banks pay near zero interest on deposits and buy Treasury Notes and Bonds paying 1-3%.

It's guaranteed income and no headaches.

Why would they want to bother themselves lending money out to complete strangers?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-20/banks-use-1-77-trillion-to-double-treasury-purchases.html
http://www.treasurydirect.gov/RI/OFNtebnd

william

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 05:21:31 AM »
^^^ Very true.

Historically, such loans have much lower default rate and higher return on investment. So, I don't worry about someone claiming higher income and if it is not verified. As long as other factors such as mortgage, total debt, low credit utilization, and clean credit record line up, I will lend.
This is what I do.

Grant

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 10:07:29 AM »

Banks pay near zero interest on deposits and buy Treasury Notes and Bonds paying 1-3%.

It's guaranteed income and no headaches.

Why would they want to bother themselves lending money out to complete strangers?
All I can tell you is from personal experience.  I am an employed physician who graduated residency in 2002.  In the 11 years since training I have had banks tripping all over themselves to lend me money.  My DTI ratio excluding my mortgage is in the neighborhood of 10% and including my mortgage(s) is up around 50%.  I fully understand back in 2002-2007-ish how banks would be lending me money like crazy with mail solicitations.  However even now I still am actively solicited at least quarterly from institutions I don't have any prior relationship with.  I currently have two  substantial unsecured lines of credit --one has an interest rate of 3.875% and the second is at 5.25%. 

I really hope I am not coming across as arrogant because I genuinely don't mean to.  I'm just relaying my experiences that someone who is part of the "1%" may have something else going on that their local bank knows about that we, as complete strangers, are not privy to.  It's a head-scratcher that a loan at 10+% is a better deal than something that person could otherwise obtain and might be a warning of somethign else going on... what exactly that is, I do not know. 

lender_john

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 11:34:53 AM »

As long as its verified income, absolutely. 
Personally I can't imagine myself needing to borrow to pay off cards if I made over 400k a year.
However these are generally good loans with low default rates.

Its not that difficult to imagine someone with a very high income.. who has over 350k in education loans.. high rent or mortgage costs..  very high childcare costs.. etc

It may not be a frugal lifestyle but people usually spend what they have, the more they have, the more they spend.

Grant

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 02:54:34 PM »
It may not be a frugal lifestyle but people usually spend what they have, the more they have, the more they spend.

Now that is the real truth!!!

LC420

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 05:30:12 PM »
Citadel is also a pretty big hedge fund. So.. would not be all that mind blowing for this guy to make 35k+/month.