Author Topic: Taxes - say goodbye to the small note exemption  (Read 13422 times)

jpildis

• View Profile
    • Email
Taxes - say goodbye to the small note exemption
« on: January 19, 2013, 12:26:43 PM »
Just spoke with my LC rep and she informed me that LC's tax documents will be similar to Prosper's... one consolidated 1099 for all loans combined.  I'm thankful I'm not going to have to mess with multiple 1099s this year and I'm wondering how many lenders have been underfiling prior to this year.

yojoakak

• View Profile
    • Check out my Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey script for LendingClub here
    • Email
Re: Taxes - say goodbye to the small note exemption
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 01:51:03 PM »
Just spoke with my LC rep and she informed me that LC's tax documents will be similar to Prosper's... one consolidated 1099 for all loans combined.  I'm thankful I'm not going to have to mess with multiple 1099s this year and I'm wondering how many lenders have been underfiling prior to this year.

Am I still going to have to print out 40 pages of Folfiofn transactions to attach to my return? (Form 8949)

AmCap

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 07:18:24 PM »

Am I still going to have to print out 40 pages of Folfiofn transactions to attach to my return? (Form 8949)

You really do that?

Peter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lend Academy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 05:07:54 PM »

I think that is good news. But I can see the backlash when people start receiving their 1099. Some people will see a 1099 for the first time and no doubt will get upset.
Publisher of the Lend Academy blog

See my returns here: http://www.lendacademy.com/returns

AmCap

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 06:01:24 PM »

I think that is good news. But I can see the backlash when people start receiving their 1099. Some people will see a 1099 for the first time and no doubt will get upset.

Why would people be upset by that Peter?  Are there ppl under-reporting a substantial amount of income?

Peter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lend Academy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 06:05:23 PM »
Yes. I think a large proportion of LC investors with a taxable account have been under-reporting their p2p lending income to the IRS. Many people blindly rely on the 1099 and ignore what they really owe. Of course, I expect that regular readers of the blog or members of this forum would not be part of this group...
Publisher of the Lend Academy blog

See my returns here: http://www.lendacademy.com/returns

Keltset

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 06:15:33 PM »
Yes. I think a large proportion of LC investors with a taxable account have been under-reporting their p2p lending income to the IRS. Many people blindly rely on the 1099 and ignore what they really owe. Of course, I expect that regular readers of the blog or members of this forum would not be part of this group...

I agree I have seen it over and over where people feel if they don't get a tax form they do not need to indicate it on their taxes. I suspect a large number of people will secretly be angry with this change, however I believe it is for the better and it sure does make it easier.

AmCap

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 06:45:38 PM »

I agree I have seen it over and over where people feel if they don't get a tax form they do not need to indicate it on their taxes. I suspect a large number of people will secretly be angry with this change, however I believe it is for the better and it sure does make it easier.

"Well, if it's not on the form, then it's not income subject to tax...right honey????"

*sigh*

yojoakak

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 08:00:50 PM »

You really do that?

It seemed to be what the Form required.

Also, if I remember correctly, the "Cost Basis" on Folfiofn's 1099-B may not be your actual cost basis. You need to calculate that from the information listed on your Year End Trader Statement.

daniel2023

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 08:49:19 PM »
One of the reasons I started backing away from LC a few years ago was due to the issues around tax reporting.  Since I started re-investing, I'm definitely glad that they are making the 1099 simpler.  This makes much more sense to have a single form.

Booleans

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 01:40:34 PM »
The IRS essentially has no way of figuring out that you under reported earnings that were left off a 1099, correct? And yes, I am genuinely curious and not trying to dodge taxes.   

yojoakak

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 02:01:10 PM »
The IRS essentially has no way of figuring out that you under reported earnings that were left off a 1099, correct?

They have a way. It's called an audit.

"I.R.S. MORE LIKELY TO AUDIT THE POOR AND NOT THE RICH"
http://www.nytimes.com/2000/04/16/business/irs-more-likely-to-audit-the-poor-and-not-the-rich.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 02:03:26 PM by yojoakak »

Computerizer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 05:12:59 PM »
FYI, LC's help page on tax documents also now says that you will get a 1099-OID: http://www.lendingclub.com/kb/index.php?View=entry&EntryID=240

1099-OID: If you invested in Lending Club Notes issued on or after October 14, 2008 and received payments on a Note, you will receive a Form 1099-OID. The net result of (i) interest plus late fees less (ii) servicing fees will be reported as taxable interest on your 1099-OID. This form will be posted to your Lending Club account “Statements” section and not mailed; be sure to check your account before filing your taxes.

J2E

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 07:29:35 PM »
Just so I'm clear, we can't write off any losses due to defaults/charge off's from our Net as well correct?  That'd definitely bring down my net return.

Computerizer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 08:48:26 PM »
Just so I'm clear, we can't write off any losses due to defaults/charge off's from our Net as well correct?  That'd definitely bring down my net return.

I don't know whether we're allowed to or not, but Lending Club does say they will report charge-offs on a 1099-B for us this year.